Slow or normal progress after 2.5 month post-op Hair Transplant - 3900 Grafts FUE?

dbaner2

Hello All,

After reading through posts in this forum, I believe that this is the best place to be for any sort of discussion related to hair loss and restoration.

I am 27 year old male and I started noticing hair loss from the age of 22. On 23 May, 2011, I went for 3900 grafts frontal hair transplant with FUE technique. Attached are my pics before and after transplant(pics 3 & 5 before transplant and rest 2.5 months after). I think I am in the worst phase of post hair transplant procedure with all the transplanted hair along with some pre-existing hair being shed. I am really concerned about the future of the procedure and want to know if it is going in the right direction. Since, I am living far away(different country) from my hair transplant doctor I cannot visit him often. Looking at the picture can someone please throw some light on how my transplant is progressing.

Btw, I was using Rogain for 3 years before the surgery and started it back from 1 month post surgery. I also use Toppik everyday on the receipent area.

Thanks for all the help. you guys are doing a great job!!!

Thank you

5b32cf217f5cb_photo20(22).jpg.c3d938c1645a8987298ea8aa0a52d371.jpg

5b32cf21921a8_photo20(21).jpg.4d3308f0296bb17eba885b0256ee692d.jpg

5b32cf225b54a_photo20(1)20(1).jpg.61aba427a6e231d0196df22ccbf09950.jpg

5b32cf226c34e_photo20(2).jpg.c003412f3bb7018fb31491f1b63b2cab.jpg

5b32cf22811af_photo20(20).jpg.7d4978aa2ac0b05cc7c224aad0a3ee69.jpg

Edited by dbaner2

At this point you shouldn't be seeing much, if anything at all in terms of growth so don't be worried or discouraged. 3-4 months is when is just starts to grow and 6-7 months is when you're going to see a noticeable change. It takes a full year to see the final result so you have a long way to go. Definitely keep using the rogaine and if you can use propecia as well.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Thanks for your reply Thehairupthere. While your reply was helpful I want to know few things specifically:

1. Looking at the picture could you spot any shockloss that might have occurred? I feel I currently have much less hair than I was having before.

2. I use toppik and dermmatch everyday even on my transplanted area. Hope that is fine.

3. Is there any other indicator which shows that the transplant is progressing normally and that the grafts are about to sprout hair?

Any other opinion will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

dbaner2

I'm not sure if you have had any shock loss because I'm not sure if the photos you put up are prior to the surgery. But it does seem to me that you had some shock loss in the donor area which is normal and it should be much better in a few more months. You can use dermatch or toppik just dont' "cake" it on. If you put a lot of it on where it's like a layer of paste on your head than it can hinder the growth of the grafts, just don't use too liberally. At this point you shouldn't see much at all so there's not much to go by. In a few months take more photos and show the pre opeative photos alongside them and we'll see how you are progressing, but right now it's too early.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Thanks again for the reply. Pics 3 & 5 (from the left) were taken before transplant and the rest were taken 2.5(almost 3) months after transplant. But, yes I get your point that its still too early. Its just I am little scared to see things are degrading rather than improving. Will post back after a month probably.

That's some tough shock loss you got going on in the donor. Hang tight. It'll get better.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Hello,

I have a small update on my progress. While I am constantly seeing small pimples developing on my scalp(I know this is a positive sign of growth), I am also seeing small newly born hair falling off(just 3-4 hair per night) on my pillow linen. Also when I apply rogain on my scalp I see 3-4 hair sticking on my finger tips. I hope these are small things but given the uncertainty of the recovery process and not so sure future of the surgery, I am paranoid about everything that is happening with my hair.

Please shed some light if this is a common occurrence and if something should be done from my side.

Thanks so much!!

Dbaner2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

Last 3-4 days I am suffering another round of hairloss. This is happening mostly when I take shower. I see around 30-40 hair falling off everyday. This is almost 3 months one week post surgery. The interesting fact is that the hair that is falling are not pre-existing hair as my pre-existing hair has already grown to certain size and these(falling hair) are small. So they are either transplanted hair falling off for the first time now or they are falling off after they came out from the scalp.

I am really puzzled and worried. I cannot reach my hair transplant surgeon as he is abroad and not sure what to do at this point. I am applying rogain and Toppik everyday. I am still suffering some shock loss on my donor as well.

Is having shockloss or other kind of hairloss at 3 month post-op normal? Is there anyway I can find out if something is going wrong? Any help will be highly appreciated!!!!

I'm sure you paid top dollar for your ht, and you are fully entitled to some aftercare if you have worries. I would email the clinic and/or doctor with your concerns.

That said, I found this a great forum for support and advice through the 'ugly duckling stage'. a coalition Doctor even posted some advice.

Based on my recent fue ht I had 3 types of shedding - some grafts shed around 3-7 weeks, others grew really fast then shed around 2 months and some didnt grow or shed immediately but shed as new hairs started to comethrough. There's tons of posts on here about post op shedding, some really good ones from a guy called spex worth looking up, essentially the sooner the grafts shed the better. Apparently the norm is for new growth to start 3 months after the hair has shed.

I think the message here is it's way too early to be worried but still think you should be getting some reassurance from your surgeon.

Happy growing m8

Edited by HairToday72

I'm sure you paid top dollar for your ht, and you are fully entitled to some aftercare if you have worries. I would email the clinic and/or doctor with your concerns.

That said, I found this a great forum for support and advice through the 'ugly duckling stage'. a coalition Doctor even posted some advice.

Based on my recent fue ht I had 3 types of shedding - some grafts shed around 3-7 weeks, others grew really fast then shed around 2 months and some didnt grow or shed immediately but shed as new hairs started to comethrough. There's tons of posts on here about post op shedding, some really good ones from a guy called spex worth looking up, essentially the sooner the grafts shed the better. Apparently the norm is for new growth to start 3 months after the hair has shed.

I think the message here is it's way too early to be worried but still think you should be getting some reassurance from your surgeon.

Happy growing m8

Thank you so much for the quick response. I am seeing some 30-40 hair lost everyday during shower and I am really worried. My only question is - is the hair that I am shedding are the transplanted hair that is shedding for the first time or they started to re-grow and shed again. I am fine if it is the earlier. But if this is shedding after to re-grew then I guess it is the real cause for concern. I am sure that the hair that is shedding are not my pre-existing hair as my pre-existing hair is already of certain length and these shedding hair are much smaller.

Please comment if my assumptions are correct. Please,

Did your grafts shed post op?. Here is a link to an article by dr Bernstein I saved when I was shedding:

Shedding After Hair Transplants: Hair Transplant Recovery | Bernstein Medical - Center for Hair Restoration

If your grafts didn't shed post op, then it sounds like u fall into the third category the dr describes. Unless someone else has any ideas. At 2.5 months it's unlikely new hair growth would have reached the surface and pushed through, let alone shed.

It could be shock loss of naitive hairs but you are ruling that out.

• 6 years later...

Hello I am having a similar problem.Could you please tell me if the results came up good and when did the shredding stop ?

It will be great help if you can share some recent pictures of the result

I am really concerned about my results.Hope you reply

Thank you

Edited by Karan34