Hair Replacement Systems

gemmamatt1

Hi gemmamatt1,

Yes, you are correct it is attached with glue or tape or a combination of both,ususlly tape around the perimeter at the sides and back and glue at the front.

If you search around the web you will find other companies who offer 'skin' systems and they are all pretty similar.

It is worth checking and compairing.

One drawback of a skin system is that they can become very hot underneath which is not so good if you are very active sports wise or live in a hot,humid country.

Some people are not affected too much by this but in general terms most people are.

Not a good idea also to keep attached for extended periods of time, as some people advocate, as you need to keep the scalp healthy by letting it breathe if you fail to do so it can result in nasty infections on your skin which can be a pain to clear up.

Ask a reputable dermatoligist or your family doctor who will explain why air and your skin is important for your skin health.Hence why people who have prosthetics have to change and clean regularly.

So if you go the skin route it is best to go for a week tops wearing before changing and cleaning your scalp and system.

One final thing is that some companies,such as the one metioned,claim that the skin system breathes due to tiny hole on the surface of the poly,well if they bond the system with a full head bond,which they do,then ask yourself how on earth can your skin/scalp breathe properly.

This is important to know and realise.

Also the people who have appeared on here promoting this company all of a sudden(in fact it could just be the same person really) keep claiming that toupees look like dead rats etc fail to say where they purchased toupees that were bad enough to look like dead animals on their heads.

Maybe they/he thinks that if they keep claiming this untruth then everyone will start to beliee them/him?:D

Robh i have a question for you, are you an employee or own the company you mention?;):P:D

wideparting,

Thank you so much for your detailed advice. I have found a company (different to that mentioned) which advises that with the poly system it can last for 2-3 months before needing to be removed and cleaned?

The company I am interested in also ethically source their hair, which is important to me.

HairToday72, does hdc ethically source their hair?

Thanks so much.

Hi Gemmamatt1

I am using a Total Cover Plus hair system. I am really happy with it as it feels as if it was my own hair.

Do you have any questions in particular?

Hi,

mind if I ask you couple of questions?

Total cover plus is a skin system, so dont you feel hot or itchy? Also as it needs to be replaced every 3-7 weeks, so doesnt it become too expensive?

Do you use any tape or adhesive to attach them?

thx

Hi gemmamatt

I have no idea where the hair came from to be honest I never asked (but maybe I should've?). The hair was always good quality and normally consistent on each order - which is always a problem when you re-order, with other companies I tried they always got the colour/density wrong which is a total nightmare as they take so long to come in.

I read some guy on the forum saying these companies just cut them from stock units, but thankfully this never happened to me as I used to have 3 or 4 colours blended/mixed plus varying density (lighter at front and sides) which has to be custom made.

I do think a good stylist can do wonders with any system so I found I was really in their hands and tried to stick to the longer standing ones. There was one company who put me with a stylist who frankly I wouldn't trust to clip my dogs hair.

Ilncepted- the total bond is like a pva glue which they put on your head and the system (then dry till it's clear with a hairdryer) that holds for a couple of weeks. You can easily buy this glue from most of the hairreplacement salons and do it yourself very easily, so not that expensive although you do have to get your own hair cut regularly at the salon. I used to find I could attach my piece better than the salon.

Dunno if any of this helps.

Edited by HairToday72

Thanks again hairtoday72,

I am interested in where the hair comes from because I watched a TV programme on exploitation and it worried me! I would also prefer to have European hair if I am paying an extensive amount of money because I feel this would look more realistic and it would be easier to care for.

I am also intrigued about the glue-in option and would love to know the nature of the procedure and after effects - (hot,itchy etc), and how this reflects on the price.

Thanks!

Hi again gemmamatt ,

The glueing was something I did myself as it was much cheaper. The glue itself was about ?10 and lasted ages. When you go to the salon to have it done they call it a regroom and normally cut your hair at same time, this is about ?50 give or take. The total bonding only works on poly bases tho.

I never had much trouble with itching or heat but I read some horror stories about people who had an allergic reaction to the glue and it seemed to burn or blister their skin!. When u get hot or sweat more often it makes the glue melt quicker and need reattaching.

Pokerboi- i think all the different bases have their pros and cons, I personally preferred the poly bases because how natural they looked and felt but they are disposable as they are delicate and wear out in couple of months, by month 3 a lot of the hair sheds and the colour fades. This is a shame if you have a system you especially like.

The other bases were generally more durable and can last a year with good care, recolouring and maintenance. They are normally made of a mesh material with the hair tied into it, some companies do a lace front on them which look good (the lace wears out quickly). This is actually really only a common/standard toupee u can buy anywhere on the net, although at a salon they will normally charge you more and make the system an inch bigger than your bald area, shave into your hair an inch, then hard bond permanently the system to your head around the perimeter of the system. The only way to remove it is for your hair to grow so it can be cut off. It has the effect of looking like your hair is gradually growing longer as the system moves forward. At the front u use toupee tapes to reattach every few days .

Edited by HairToday72

Hi Rob, thanks for your response. My main concern is how the hair is sourced, as I have read alot lately about the exploitation that happens in the hair industry and am worried about where the hair I would be wearing comes from.

I am also concerned about the quality, comfort, maintenance and appearance of it. Could you advise?

Thanks again!

This was a big worry for me too. I was looking for a while on where the hair comes from, as I would get quite far into looking into investing in a hair piece from certain companies, question the nature of the hair, and would end up disappointed in their lack of knowledge on its background.

I found the hair harvest website from Bloomsbury of London - Hair Harvest - and went from there.

Robert

I do not have any photos, but I am so pleased with my hair piece. It looks extremely natural and because it has only been attached to the front of my scalp, my natural hair line can still be seen. This allows total freedom of movement and style of my hair, and if I was to wish to do so, I would be able to participate in sports.

Robert.

What is the procedure used to attach that? I have heard about one where a thin layer of polyurethene is attached to the scalp, is that similar?

Thanks for your help!

Hi

this is very similar. Basically there is a very thin layer of polyurethane mixed with something else which imitates a few characteristics of the normal human skin. It is very thin (0.03 mm) and it has pores to allow it to breathe. Then it is attached with a special full bonding method which allows your skin to breathe with the hair system's "skin".

Then it feels as if the hair was your own hair and you can style your hair the way you want it.

It is definitely the best solution that I could think of and therefore also the best solution I could think of in London ;)

Hi

this is very similar. Basically there is a very thin layer of polyurethane mixed with something else which imitates a few characteristics of the normal human skin. It is very thin (0.03 mm) and it has pores to allow it to breathe. Then it is attached with a special full bonding method which allows your skin to breathe with the hair system's "skin".

Then it feels as if the hair was your own hair and you can style your hair the way you want it.

It is definitely the best solution that I could think of and therefore also the best solution I could think of in London ;)

Is this the salesman talking or is it hard provable facts?;)

There are many skin systems out there and they all do the same thing basically,the only thing that really varies is the price,ventilation used and the hair quality.

As for being able to do a full bond with adhesive and then place poly on top how can your skin breathe?

To newcomers this sounds great but to seasoned wearers it is just becoming laughable,it really is!

Basically it is a sales gimmick.