scabs gone,pain at the root of initial hair.

Its 20th day after surgery,all scabs are gone,few initial hair have fallen with scabs and few are remaining.Some questions:

1)why don't these initial hair coming out of graft grow longer as I see in some pics?

2)why is there very little pain at the root of some 3-4 hair? its like I have forcebly displaced those hair while shampooing and now they pain at the root when I shake them with my finger.

3)what is importance of these hair? they must be taken care of like grafts as we do for first 10 days? can we rub it?

Edited by VicVanceIND
mispelled

There is a continuing process of healing and cycling going on. At some point the healing process wil be complete, but the cycling of hair follicles will continue. Most of those transplanted follicles go dormant within roughly 3-4 weeks post-op.

Some remain in the growth phase and contnue to grow. It has only been three weeks post-op for you right? There is not much noticable growth in 3 weeks for transplanted follicles. Give it more time. Even the few follicles that remain in the growth phase will eventually rest and shed their hair.

The minor pain sensation will go away as you continue in the healing process. Itching is also a sign of healing and you may experience some of that in the near future.

Any shockloss yet? That usually arrives at 3-5 weeks post-op, and in most cases, is temporary.

Best wishes to you.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Thank you very much Gillenator,(? sorry)

I always expect answer from this community and I always get it and that too from people working in the field.

Yes its 3 weeks after HT so I am not expecting growth. but concerned about FIBROSIS.

Fibrosis can affect final results?

my Doc said your skin is kinda tight and that dos not facilitate god supply of blood to scalp and that may lead to poor growth.Mintop helps in this regard? or anything else is required?

My 2nd HT with 1200 grafts did not work well for me and that time I saw growth(if any) after 9-10 months,is it going to repeat again this time?

That doc was not a good one,but does it cause poor growth.Acc. to me yes,but I don't have enough knowledge.

Please put some light on this

• 4 weeks later...

VicVanceInd,

Several more weeks have passed by now and trust you are doing better. If not, I would encourage you to see a different doctor, meaning a dermatologist or well known reputable surgeon. It appears that you are not satisfied nor impressed with your current HT surgeon.

We as lay people cannot give you any medical advice because we are not doctors, nor can we see your scalp in person. I highly recommend that you get physically examined.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

during my recover i had a few hairs that were painful like a stinging sensation. i think it was a graft rejection or a minor infection because some discharge came out after a few days of pain. I've had 2 transplants and both times, at least 3 or 4 incidents of this stinging pain occured.

Very few times,there is very lil pain at one or two roots,but it lasts only for few minutes.and does not occur again.but there are few sites at recipient area that do pain in the same fashion and reoccur.and most of the time I see transplanted hair falling when I experience such pain.

@gillenator

Thank you.

Yes I do understand that.I called my Doc and asked about it,he said it's normal.And the pain never lasted for more than 1 or 2 days and did not reoccur again.So it's not an matter of concern now.

But a guy here says 'it's graft rejection' is it true in any possible way?

It makes me think about it a lot.

@Dr. Glenn M. Charles

Now there is no pain and nearly 90% of the transplanted hair have fallen out.And color of the skin is normal as well but when I rub Contratubex cream on it,it becomes slightly pinkish for sometime.

Is the pain in the root of transplanted hair cause of 'rejection of grafts'?

@Gin0rm0usF0rehead

why do you think it's graft rejection when roots of transplanted hair pain?

did somebody tell you?

Please guys answer these questions like you always do,I have done everything from my side but I want to know what's happening exactly up there on my head.

Thank you very much.

Edited by VicVanceIND
misspelling

In three decades I have yet to have someone contact me and state their grafts were rejected.

Could this happen? Probably in the case of grafts taken from a completely different individual. Possibly anti-rejection drugs could be developed and used to obtain donor from someone else of the same blood type? We know this is possible with organs, why not hair follicles?

Could it be even more viable than HM or cloning? For the time being?

Just think of that. People with the most ideal hair characteristics donating tons of hair follicles by FUE extraction for guys like us with MPB.

I really feel more research and trials could be done in this area of surgical hair restoration.:)

Gillenator

In your case it may not be graft rejection, but i think i lost a few hairs that had stinging pains, and it hurt to the point where i would have to squeeze it and a puss and little blood comes out. So in my case, it was a lost graft. The odd thing was, this happened even weeks after my surgery. But as mentioned before, it was only 3 or 4 grafts. And it happend both times for 2 seperate surgeries. Weird.....

Possibly you experienced a mild amount of infection with the sites that had some puss. Definitely not the norm, but like you said it was just a few, no real problems.

Very advisable to keep the area clean as possible.

Edited by gillenator

Gillenator