Amount of Hairs

sjones23

Hi, im looking for some advice which i cannot find on the Net.

I recently went for a consultation at Dr DeStefanos clinic and was told i needed 10,000 hirs to get the desired results which he said was around 3000 gratfs, So my big question is how many hairs roughly does the average person have on the top of there head, I know it says the average all over is 100,000

any help would be great and any advice about the clinic i visited would also be appreciated.

Thanks

Back up for a sec. The average person has about 2.1 hairs per graft. The numbers you were give work out to 3.3 per graft which is unheard of. 10,000 hairs would be more like 4700 grafts. I recommend you stick to a doctor recommended on this site.

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

3000 grafts is quite a big chunk and should give you good coverage, but that depends on how much hair loss you've experienced. You may require another procedure to add extra density but the first procedure would be a great change.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

SJ,

How are the 3000 grafts going to be allocated? What Norwood class are you?

If you are a class VII and 300 grafts are placed throughout the entire class VII MPB region, it may not provide adequate density that diminishes the appearance of baldness. Other factors like the size of your head and hair quality (diameter and type) make a difference. In my experience 3000 is not enough to cover and entire head in a satisfactory manner if you are an advanced class.

Many factors need to be known before a more precise answer can be provided given your question.

Best of Health

"Opinions and expressions are solely my own!"

Generally speaking, 10000 hairs will do a nice job on a NW 4. I am from CT as well and I made the treck to Ottawa to see Dr. Rahal. I suggest you don't let distance be a limiting factor for something this important.

There are a few great docs out of NY. My top choices in NY are True and Dorin.

Good Luck

My Hairloss Web Site -

7871 Grafts

I would advise you to research as many clinics as possible from ht forums and clinic websites. Then narrow it down to 4-5 top choices. Take photos per instructions below and email them to your top choices. You will likely be set up with a phone or in-person consultations. At this time you'll get a lot better feel for each clinic and be able to make an informed decision. Best of luck!

THE FOLLOWING ANGLES SHOULD BE TAKEN AND SENT TO EACH PROSPECTIVE CLINIC:

(THESE ARE HEAD SHOTS SIMILAR TO PASSPORT OR DRIVER'S LIC PHOTOS)

1-Frontal view straight on with hair combed back.

2-Right and left lateral view with hair combed back and away from the hairline.

3-Top view taken from the front, while you look down, placing your chin to your chest

4-Posterior view of the crown, take from behind while you look up toward the ceiling

5-Close up Donor with hair combed up

Thanks so much for all the advice it has been great,

How many gratfs would it take to get 10,000 hairs?

Cant Decide - being from CT have you heard about Dr Destefanos clinic thats where i got told about the 10,000 hairs and got quoted quite a good price

I do know of Dr. D in Mass. I never consulted with him but do remember his commercials years ago. To be honest, I don't think he is terrible but I do believe he is not world class like the docs here. Do a search on this forum as there have been some posts on him in the past.

It depends on your donor density but on average, 10k hairs is about 4700 grafts. Assuming you have good donor and laxity, you should be able to get it all done in one sitting but you need to go to a doc that routinely does these large procedures like Rahal, H&W, and a few others.

My Hairloss Web Site -

7871 Grafts

i just checked the docs in NY who you suggested and from the pics they have good results.

Yeah Dr Destefano is based in MA but has a practice in Rocky Hill, i didnt get to speak to him it was just a sales guy so thats probably why i got bad info, ill check out dr Rahal

It's very difficult to say how many grafts would equal 10,000 hairs as everyone is different in the ratio of single, double and triple grafts. This is something that has to be determined in a consultation.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

sjones, if you're coming to NY to consult you should be sure to see Dr. Feller as well. Also, if you can post some pictures you'll get much more accurate advice about your level of loss and the amount of grafts required to fill it.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

hairthere - i visited dr feller late lasy year and was pretty impressed he seemed like a nice guy, ive been told by another clinic thats its best not to get more than 1800 grafts at one time, is this true?

ive been told by another clinic thats its best not to get more than 1800 grafts at one time, is this true?

No, that is not true, especially for strip. Perhaps they were referencing fue surgery?

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

1800 grafts would be below the number of grafts used in an average strip procedure performed by surgeons at the more skilled end of the spectrum.

Most surgeons speak in terms of grafts rather than the total number of hairs. This is basically because each graft is one follicle which might contain one to four hairs, so as you can imagine it's much harder to base accurate estimations around hair counts. Most if not all good surgeons will keep a tally of how many hairs are in each graft so that this information is available to you after surgery.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com