Anyone heard of or been on Lyrica (pregablin) and seen increased hair loss and balding process speed up?

Uk_lad

Ive been steadily losing my hair since i was 18, i am now 25. from 23.5 tto now i have gone up from a N2 to a high N3/4. My concern is why the loss which was steadily slow has increased so much recently. There are only two variables that have changed, I have been put on these tablets, and also used courve to cover the area. So i was wondering if anyone has had similar experience of suddenly increased hair loss (crown), when it had been steady for so many years beforehand?

UK_Lad,

Though genetics is the number one cause of hair loss, non-genetic factors can also contribute or cause balding to occur. Some medications have been known to carry hair loss as a potential side effect.

Lyrica is an anti-epileptic drug, also known as an anticonvulsant. Lyrica helps to control seizures by slowing down impulses in the brain. It also prevents pain signals from being sent across the nervous system by altering chemicals in the brain. Lyrica is used to control seizures and to treat fibromyalgia. It is also used to treat nerve damage induced pain caused in people with diabetes or herpes zoster and many other conditions.

A rare but possible reported side effect of Lyrica is hair loss. Since you are already experiencing male pattern baldness, it's also very possible that it's simply continuing on its own. However, if you are taking Lyrica and feel you may be among the group experiencing (additional) hair loss as a side effect, you are encouraged to speak with your physician or your health care provider.

Best wishes,

Bill

to be honest, hair loss is a side effect of lyrica, but if that was the case, the hair loss would NOT have the distinct male pattern baldness pattern. Hair loss is a side effect of quite a few drugs, but is very rare (except with chemotherapy).

I think its safe to say that if you've got recession at the temples and/or a thinning crown, the lyrica is not causing your hairloss.

Propecia since July 2008

2201 Grafts with Dr Lorenzo on 19.10.22 - See my write up here:

• 2 weeks later...

HI, thanks for the replys guys. My real concern is that i have had MPB since i was 18, but it was at a steady speed for 5 years, and all of the sudden my hair loss has greatly greatly increased (mainly on the crown). I'm trying to discover whether this is just natural progression of MPB or another factor. The only two variables that have changed are my use of lyrica and my use of courve. Im going to see my doctor in a months time, so have to make the decision whether or not i want to stay on lyrica or take an alternative.