Surgery question?

It's been 19 years since my last transplant so I obviously know a lot has changed. Is it standard now to get an IV drip for fluids throughout the surgery? I've never heard of anyone doing this I just know surgery can last up to 10 hours so I was just wondering.

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I didn't drink a lot, but I made sure I was sipping on my water throughout the day and had a sprite with lunch. You are going to need to get up and out of the chair a few times anyway.....it is a long day and a stretch is good.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

NEWHAIRPLEASE,

I didn't have an IV drip but I do remember recently hearing a member mention having one. I can't recall who the doctor was.

Dr. Alexander and his staff were really good about accommodating my bathroom breaks.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

I thought IV drips were used when patients couldnt have fluids by mouth because they were going to have a general anaesthetic. Taking enough fluids via drinks should be OK for a HT i think unless the patient has some health issue that requires IV fluids.