when is it safe to pull out your hair?

maybe this is a strange question but when can you safely pull out your hair without damaging the follicles, if ever?

like, for your normal hairs if you pull it out it is safe and it'll grow back

not that there's any reasons to do this

(maybe for fun, or flossing lol...)

but i just want to know, if the transplanted hairs will be "normal" and strong like your other hairs or fragile?

like if you pull out a hair is that going to damage the follicle?

i like knowing that my hairs are healthy

and not "fragile" and the whole follicle will die or be damaged or something

if you bump your head, get sunburned, pull out a hair, etc.

Edited by hairgirl08

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you pull out a hair you are going to damage the graft if not actually pulling out the entire follicle. Why would you even consider doing this? Your hair will grow normally, but it is not normal to pull your hair out, and that does not constitute your hair as "healthy" or strong. Bumping your head or sunburn are only dangerous to your grafts in the first few weeks, because they are still fragile, but they will grow normally forever. Do not pull your hair out!

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

If you pull out a hair you are going to damage the graft if not actually pulling out the entire follicle. Why would you even consider doing this? Your hair will grow normally, but it is not normal to pull your hair out, and that does not constitute your hair as "healthy" or strong. Bumping your head or sunburn are only dangerous to your grafts in the first few weeks, because they are still fragile, but they will grow normally forever. Do not pull your hair out!

i dont want to pull it out now. but when its healed, like in a few months?

for normal hair you can pull it out and it will still grow back.

like when you pluck your eyebrows, they always grow back, and even thicker than before.

so the grafts hairs aren't normal?

normally if you bump your head with normal hair your hair isn't going to fall out, or if you get a sunburn. ive gotten sunburn on my body before like arms, back, legs, but it doesnt affect my hair or scalp. and if you pull out a normal hair it will just grow back. but it will damage graft hair?

like when you pluck your eyebrow hair it will come out and you can see the root of it, but it grows back thicker than before.

i wanna be able to pull out my hair and not damage it.

because you can do that with normal hair

just for fun and for flossing

not a lot

just like 1 every once in a while

i just dont want my hair to be fragile

Edited by hairgirl08

i dont want to "pull my hair out" like pull all my hair out

but i like knowing that my hair is strong enough so i can one if i ever wanted to

like with my hair before i remember i have just pulled one out to see what the root looks like

or i have used a hair for flossing or something

i just wondering if transplanted hair is strong or fragile

Edited by hairgirl08

Hairgirl08 "i wanna be able to pull out my hair and not damage it". I simply do not understand why you would want to pull out your transplanted hair in your hairline. This is not like eyebrows where you need to pluck them out to keep them styled nicely. When you pluck your eyebrows you are also susceptible to thinning them out, we see that all the time. The only way the hair may come back thicker as you say, is if you basically just cut the hair, that's what plucking or threading in the eyebrows tries to do. You can simply get a haircut and have the same result. The hairs that are transplanted are normal and they will grow normally forever as long as they were transplanted correctly. The bumping and sunburn questions is simply a way to keep people from damaging their grafts within the first month because the grafts are still fragile, because they were just transplanted. After that time you can bump your head and get sunburned all you want. Your hair will grow normally.

Again this question is very unusual or perhaps you're just not explaining yourself well, because pulling your hair out "for fun or for flossing" is not a joke nor should it even be a leisurely experience. If you consider pulling your hair out to be fun, perhaps you have trichotillomania an impulse control disorder where you literally pull your hair out to the point where you can go bald.

Just to reiterate if you pull out your hair, wether it's native or transplanted you risk permanently damaging those hairs because you can damage the follicle or literally remove it completely. If you don't want hairs in certain areas shave or cut them don't pluck them out.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

trichotillomania? lol

ok maybe its just something that girls do, definitely not guys. i dont want to pull out my hairs.

but before when my hair was healthy i could just pull out a hair for fun.

not every day.

maybe like once every few weeks, or every few months.

like i was curious about what the root of my hair looked like before so i pulled out one hair.

i have long hair so i can use it to floss too. but sometimes the hair was too thin so i had to pull out another one if it breaks when youre flossing. i dont use it to floss regularly or anything serious. but i remember i did before, like when i was little.

and im sure it grew back.

i remember my mom had some white hairs and she asked me to pull it out.

and it just grows back again.

so you havent pulled out a hair in your life to see what the root looks like or something?

it's not that i want to pull out my hairs, or want to cut or trim any hair. i just like knowing that i *can* pull out a hair and that it will grow back still.

I actually want to backtrack and say that shaving or cutting your hair does not actually cause your hair to get thicker it's simply a myth. I said you should cut your hair earlier because I don't want you to pull out your hair, because you're going to destroy the work you had done. Your hair is not a conscience being it does not know to grow thicker or know anything, and like I said shaving or cutting your hair to get thicker hair is a myth it's simply not true.

oh but i dont want to cut my hair, thats not why i would pull out a hair.

if i pull out a hair maybe its just out of curiosity to see what the root looks like or something.

i dont think pulling out a normal hair will destroy the follicle. plucking doesnt destroy your eyebrow follicles.

so a graft hair isnt normal? like if you pull it out, it will die?

You can pull out the hair it may grow back it may not, as you can see from my answer above you can damage the follicle or completely remove it by pulling them. Native or transplanted hairs grow normally and pulling them can destroy them.

O.k, I don't get the comment "but before when my hair was healthy i could just pull out a hair for fun." That isn't fun.

but i can just pull out a hair and not worry about whether i will pull out a follicle or not. like i knew it would just grow back. but now i'd be afraid to pull out a hair because i think that it will damage the follicle. so i can't pull out a hair to look at the root of the hair

You can pull out the hair it may grow back it may not, as you can see from my answer above you can damage the follicle or completely remove it by pulling them. Native or transplanted hairs grow normally and pulling them can destroy them.

not native ones though.

like they always just grow back. like plucking eyebrows.

and you dont have to worry about pulling out the follicle if you pluck your eyebrows or something.

hairgirl08 you are obviously not paying attention or reading any of my answers. Pulling out a hair can destroy your follicle. Also if you are actually pulling the follicle out to see it, than you actually just destroyed that hair because you removed the follicle and nothing is left to grow in the dermis. Once again plucking can destroy your eyebrow follicles and can thin them out, that is why many people use threading. Many women pull the eyebrows for too long and then have thin eyebrows who later have eyebrow transplantations you can see them here on the network.

hairgirl08 you are obviously not paying attention or reading any of my answers. Pulling out a hair can destroy your follicle. Also if you are actually pulling the follicle out to see it, than you actually just destroyed that hair because you removed the follicle and nothing is left to grow in the dermis. Once again plucking can destroy your eyebrow follicles and can thin them out, that is why many people use threading. Many women pull the eyebrows for too long and then have thin eyebrows who later have eyebrow transplantations you can see them here on the network.

if i pull out a normal hair, the follicle doesnt come out.

its just the root of the hair with something clear on it but its not the follicle, and the hair grows back.

plucking doesnt thin out eyebrows, it makes them thicker?

i would love it if plucking my eyebrows made them thinner, but they seemed to have gotten thicker over time the more i pluck them.

Hair as floss | Is It Normal? | http://isitnormal.com

Hair as floss

31% Normal

31% of people do it

or at least they think its normal, lol

I guess so. I have a friend that does that. She convinced me to try it one day when I needed floss, but then my hair got stuck and I needed floss double bad!

hotchickie81 (24721)

5/16/10

I do this too. As long as the hair is clean, I don't see a problem with it!

jacystarling (80922)

6/29/11

Lol im gonna try it lmao

i dont even do this anymore i think its kinda gross actually

and the hair sometimes get stick in your teeth so then you have to get another piece of hair to try to remove it lol

but i remember doing this when i was little

and the hair grows back meaning its strong and not fragile

and i want my grafts to be like that too so its strong

so like one day if it ever gets tangled in something or if a someone pulls on my hair that im not going to lose the grafts permanently

Edited by hairgirl08

The root is the follicle. The bulb at the end of a hair is the follicle where the hair grows from if you pull that out then it's dead...period. If you pull out the hair and it doesn't take out the follicle (or root) than the hair can grow back, but you are also capable of damaging the follicle. Once again hairs do not get thicker from shaving or cutting it is a myth you can do your own research on this. If you plucked your eyebrows and they haven't thinned out then great, but know that you may thin them out. I don't believe there is much more to say on this thread. I'll just end this with saying that you should not pull out your hairs, for fun, flossing (I would recommend buying actual dental floss) or for any reason unless you want to take the chance of thinning your hair out.

theres a facebook group called

Using a piece of your hair as dental floss

Using a piece of your hair as dental floss | Facebook

Using a piece of your hair as dental floss

this is funny, i know more people do this !

May 15, 2010 at 6:44pm

Delilah Grace Reed

i have. Once it got stuck in my teeth and I couden't get the hair out :(:(

July 13, 2010 at 8:05pm

Bethany Elaine Smith likes this.