Hair transplant on the scarred tissue

Paul123

I would like to know if somebody had an experience with hair transplant on the scarred tissue, I heard that the hair adapts much less.

And did somebody heard about doc Bertram Ng from Hong Kong, he should be one of the best in Hong Kong.

It is more difficult for hair to grow properly through thicker scar tissue so the results may not be as good. You may need more than one treatment to get the best results possible, but it's hard to say without seeing the scar itself. Sometimes it's possible to simply excise the scar out and give a small, pencil thin scar instead. Pictures would be very helpful.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I have transplanted hair grafts into scars on many patients. Some with very impressive success and some with very little success. It really depends on what type of scar we are dealing with (keloid vs hypertrophic), the depth, and the location.

I had FUE with Dr. Lindsey for two bald patches caused by an endoscopic browlift three years ago. They were caused by the endoscope being inserted into the scalp and so there is scarring present. I am only just over two months out from the FUE so its too early to say how much growth i will have but i do have a few very fine hairs pushing through on one side.

I went to see Dr Bertram in Hong Kong. He told me that he can't do the transplant, he was very frank and told me that my scars tissue is to thin and that there is not enough thickness for the follicle. I was of course disappointed that it can't be done but I really appreciate his sincerity.

Unfortunetely, it may true that transplanting into your scar will most likely be However, you may want to consider getting a second opinion. It never hurts and if several doctors come to the same conclusion you may feel more confident with your options.

I agree, nicely done Dr. Feller.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Thank you for the advice, in fact I got a second opinion and it was the same, unfortunately. The doctor said as well that if I transplant on the scar tissue and in the future will start to lose the hair in other arias like on top wil not be enough grafts to cover that....so he prefers to preserve the hair if I will need in the future. In his opinion after you remove the strap of the hair the density will not be the same.

I hear something about their hair follicle clonation, it is quite new in Us. Did any body heard about that.

That is a very good result by Dr. Feller, if i get a similar result , i will be opening the champagne!

Paul, sorry to hear your news about the second opinion. I dont know anything about cloning but it sounds like it may be a while befor it happens. Sounds good though, like calorie free cake, safe cigarettes,scarless surgery and the eternal youth pill, bring it on:)

Its still early for Ellie to show much growth yet. Even in "virgin scalps" I say 6 months is the start of the growing season. When placing in scar tissue, I think that is pushed back a bit.

I would expect some coverage by Christmas 2011. Anything sooner is luck and good fortune, but it may well happen early.

Dr. Lindsey

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I do have a few fine hairs, more on my right side than left but they dont show up well on camera yet . Its great to see them after absolutely no hair on the scars for three years.

While I can't guarantee anything...I'm very hopeful you have alot more to show for your trip over by Christmas 2011. Your grafts and recipient tissue all seemed as healthy as anyone's and while that is not a sure bet, its way better than having poor harvesting, and really thick avascular scar to plant in.

Dr. L

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians