HT with Dr Path in 2 weeks, advice....

djames

hi all, im due in Bangkok on the 21st April and a state of emergancy has just been announced over there. im really not sure wether to go or cancel, air fares paid and the doctors deposit etc I will email Dr Path to see what he says , what do you guys think?

Hey Djames,

I went in 2008. I actually returned home just before the airport was shut down by protesters. I had seen the protests on the news and heard of the bombings (well, hand grenades). Like you I was very worried but went anyway, I was there 14 days and didn't see any protests or violence.

As long as you stay away from the rallies and take out good insurance incase of airport closures etc, you shouldn't have a problem, I doubt you will see any signs of unrest.

I was there during 'state of emergency' last spring which coincided with the Thai new year celebration.

The streets were jam-packed with party-goers 24/7 and I remember driving round the city in a tuk-tuk with water-guns intermittently passing burning busses and demonsrtations, whilst 100m futher on there was a wild carnival atmosphere.

If my epxerience is anything to go by, you'll be 100% fine.

I just had a surgery by Dr Path recently and came back. While i was there i did see some red flag demonstrations blocking roads etc.. nothing more.

Just do a prayer before you leave mate and make sure you have spare credit card /cash, insurance etc for any emergencies and you'll be fine.

Oh yea, dont use any cabs to go to Dr Path office. Use BTS - safer as roads may be blocked with these problems.

• 2 weeks later...

The red shirts aren't targeting tourists so avoid any large gatherings and things should be fine. From all reports I have read besides the area near the actual main protest the rest of Bangkok is basically operating as normal. The last I heard was the BTS is running but not stopping at stations near large gatherings of protestors. Obviously things can change from day to day so you will need to continually monitor the situation. Personally if it was me I wouldn't let it stop me from going, actually I am off to Phuket in three weeks and then on to Bangkok. Bangkok is a great city with lots to do and see away from the protest area.

Originally posted by mi$$ionHAIR:

any update djames from the doctor? Are you going ahead with your plans?

The situation has got slightly more serious, with clashes and declaration of a national emergency. I am scheduled for a surgery on 30th April.

Yes absolutely, do not get near any large gatherings. Also if the BTS becomes any problem, you might want to consider staying within a walking distance to the Clinic the night before surgery and the after so that you are not late for surgery. Remebe its not just about getting to clinic in good time but also about reaching hotel after surgery when you will probably feel dizzy! Think about that.

Hotels are very very cheap in Bangkok, so its worth considering. Perhaps go to Bangkok a few days earlier to monitor this situation.

I would personaly do everything to make sure i get surgery done but ofcourse in the safest approach possible.

Hi everyone, the clinic did reply as to the situation and they think it will be fine. I have probably made a mistake in booking into a hotel in the thorn buri district which is quite a few bts stops away from the clinic. My new problem is this flight nightmare the uk is having, i dont even think ill get there now as i fly tuesday and no sign of flights from my airport moving. All a bit of a headache to be honest.

I planned this well but looks like i picked the unluckiest month of the year, will see wat the tour company comes back with and if Dr P could change the date. I think id prob loose the deposit with it being so near to surgery.

Hope your all well

DJames

I would like to hear the ground reality and the suggested extent of caution from someone who is based out of Bangkok. Anyone on this forum from BKK?

I had booked Abloom Service apartments (which is just a station north of Victory Monument) for the first 3 days. Now, that Victory Monument is on the "places to avoid" list on most travel advisories - I wonder how safe the hotel is?

Also, while I had initially planned to stay in Bangkok till May 7th (arriving on 30th, surgery scheduled on 1st) - I was wondering if it makes sense to reschedule my departure for May 4th (the sutures and the stitches can be taken off back home). Anybody here who has tried that?

Can some experts comment/recommend

My Hair Loss Website

Estimate the number of grafts I need

I came to UK from Bangkok on 30th april, so not that long ago. i stayed in Bangkok for two weeks.

I was late to my consultation the day before surgery because of the red flags blocking the whole of Vivtory Mounment. I had to first take a taxi until the taxi couldnt pass that area. Luckily, i then had 'Motorbike Taxi' who came straight away to give me a lift to Dr Path. Since roads were blocked, the mototbike went through the pavement as i was sitting with the rider thinking where hell i am.

Ofcourse i didnt use road transport the next morning to surgery, i used the BTS and there was no problem. (although i did see alot of crowd outside Dr Path office as i was walking from BTS - no trouble though)

I dont really think there will be any safety issues with regards to Hotels - one stop away from Victory monument. Its when you get in the crowd i reckon. But its better to hear from someone who is in Bangkok right now!

I had my stitches taken out back in Oz. I could only stay there for 5 days and I left 2 days after surgery. I went to my local bulk bill doctor and the nurse took out the stitches. no problem. some can bleed a little but thats nothing to worry about. One of my tension stitched bled for a minute. worst part was telling her I had a HT. Im always a bit embarrassed about that.

If it were me I would still go to bangkok.

If you have to re-schedule you dont lose your deposit. Dr Pat will keep it and it will be your deposit for the next appointment.

I hope the flight problems are sorted out for you so you can travel dj. mission if youre worried about a hotel near victory monument maybe change hotels unless youve paid a deposit.Personally I think you'll be fine. too many people there for anyone to worry about you...:-) There was a thread here not so long ago with a heap of hotel recommendations if you want to change. i think the loft was a good one. Good Luck djames and mission

cheers

sunny

sunny!

my appt is due soon... left 1 mth... getting the jitters... sigh feeling quite lousy thinking of the down time and the anxiousness which comes along with it

how are u coping mate

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

Hey WB, 1 month to go....cool. bet you cant wait. Im doing great. no problems at all. the first couple of weeks after the HT were the hardest, with the healing process and telling people why the hat....I said i had an op on my head. no-one knows about the HT.

I havent minded waiting for growth. no-one knows youve had it done if the growth is slow over months so thats fine with me. I'll be 5 months in a week. crown growth is really slow but the hair is there....:-)

Im looking forward to seeing your blog and following your progress when youve had it done....cheers

sunny

djames - how is the ground situation. Have heard some rather discomforting news, with travel advises etc being revised.

http://www.smartraveller.gov.a...view/Advice/Thailand

Hope you are doing fine and safe. I am getting slightly worried whether I should go ahead with my trip as the advise has been downgraded from "High degree of caution" to "Reconsider your need to travel" icon_frown.gif

My Hair Loss Website

Estimate the number of grafts I need