Have I lost a graft?

After having read just about all the threads by worried members on whether they have lost a graft or simply shed a hair with scab attached in the first few weeks after their procedure I have started this thread to try and get a definitive answer.

In my case ( i'm day 9) I think I have lost a graft; I was gently (maybe not gently enough!!) rubbing a scab and it game out with hair, scab, root & meaty bit (looks to me like a graft). It started bleeding and stopped pretty quickly after compression with a tissue. I got my wife to have a look and she said there is a small hole (the size of a graft) in my scalp.

I have read that beyond a week to 10 days you're not supposed to lose grafts however is it possible it might have dislodged earlier (but not completely), formed a scab and then come out upon my rubbing?

Its pretty obvious when you shed a scab and hair but how do you tell the difference between a (lost) graft and a scab with hair and follicle where from reading other threads and posts it seems this is ok and doesn't result in a lost graft. In the latter case will you have a small hole in your scalp?

Its been great to read other posts and even if I have lost one graft its not going to have much impact on the end result.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated?

Hey Geoff,

One graft out of how many? I usually tell people that it really takes two weeks before the grafts are locked in. The great majority of grafts meld into the granulation tissue fairly quickly. You'll be fine.

I had the old early 80's punch grafts and I've had many chances to get it right. Still tyrin'.

My next should be the last.

Geoff, what have you done HT wise since the early 80's? Any other procedures since the one 9/10 days ago?

Rich

"Opinions and expressions are solely my own!"

Hi Rich,

I had 2000 grafts (FUT) performed by Dr Kongkiat Laorwong in Phuket Thailand. I haven't had anything done since the Punch grafts (had 4 of those) I mentioned.

Of course I was never happy with the PG's but fortunately had enough of my own hair to cover them as long as I kept my hair long. Well that was the case untill a few years ago when I stared losing more hair on top and so the PG's became more noticeable. I'm 48 now and the baldness doesn't bother me so much but the unnatural look of the grafts does.

I only discovered this website during my recovery period after the procedure so I was a bit freaked that I might of might have made some bad choices;

Firstly, how good is Dr Kongkiat Larwong? Well so far so good and I have no complaints, he isn't mentioned at all on this site (so at least no one has anything bad to say about him). He has his own clinic in Phuket and also does work for those who go through Bangkok Hospital and possibly others. He also worked with Dr Path who is mentioned quite extensively on this site. I'm reassured by that

Secondly, what is the best way to make the Punch Grafts more natural (my main aim)?. In my case we decided to do a FUT of 2000 grafts (He said the actual number was 2300) and basically fill the gaps, soften the hairline by using the single hair grafts starting about 5mm down from the Punch Graft hairline and 10mm behind the Punch Grafts. He didn't touch any of the old grafts although I have seen cases on this site where FUE was done on the old grafts to reduce the pluggy look.

I am and will still be bald on my crown as the new grafts were only placed in the frontal area where the PG's are (which is what I wanted) and of course its early days and I'm hoping like hell it works!

I asked if there was a chance of a further operation and he said If I had FUT he could probably extract another 1500 grafts max. If all gos well I might be tempted to have another to get some hair on my crown and/or further improve my frontal area.

Regards

Geoff

Edited by Geoff
Spelling mistake on Dr's name

Good Morning Geoff,

It sounds like you have made a very good strategical choice to "naturalize" the old 80's stalks. The landscaping in front, between and behind them should really soften their appearance. Anything done to lessen the contrast will help.

One of the choices usually presented is to remove the old plugs (as you mentioned) and have them modified into smaller units and then relocated.

I'm faced with this choice right now also. I'm contemplating keeping the very dense stalks and do some additional placements around them. The last HT that I had about 8 years ago has definitely helped.......but the trained eye can still detect the 80 technology still locked in there!

So Geoff, without removing the PG's the 2300 should make a huge difference in filling in the gaps and reducing that very harsh contrast in density. This will really help naturalize the front.

Since the procedure was performed already let's hope Dr is incredible. You obviously selected him because you felt comfortable with the clinical experience and his evaluation. I'm sure your procedure results will be great.

I hope the best for you and I look forward to hearing about the results!

Best of Health

"Opinions and expressions are solely my own!"

• 3 months later...

Geoff,

Well congrats on your recent procedure and getting some hair back.;)

In thirty years of observing, grafts are pretty securely in place after 3-4 days post-op and then at 9 -10 days, very difficult to lose from doing normail activity.

When a graft is completely lost, there is a steady trickle or stream of blood that flows from the recipient site. But remember, that's within three days to a week post-op.

IMHO, yours could have been a dislodged graft, not a true popped graft. Meaning it was dislodged and partially pulled out from the site. It then healed that way until you somehow pulled it completely away from the scalp like a scab forming like you said.

These are minor casualties in the war against hairloss! The best is yet to come my friend...:)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Hi Jakeyoo,

So far I am pleased with the results although its early days yet (op date 10th June 2011) and as mentioned elsewhere on this site it can take a year for the final result. At this stage the new graft hairs are coming through so my hair is looking thicker and disguising the punch grafts . I had no post op problems except the lost graft mentioned above. Sorry don't have any preop photos so posting any post op at this early stage is probably not going to be very helpful.

Overall I would recommend Dr Laorwong.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Don't worry about the graft Geoff, I recently had a second surgery and my active hands at night during my sleep dislodged several. I may have lost 6-10 grafts the first night but I had 2,000 transplanted. I won't have a visual impact at all. I'll trade your 1 for my 6-10. Best of luck. You will be fine!

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

As the scalp recovers and heals, one of the side-effects can be an itching sensation and sometimes during sleep, we sub-consciously scratch the area and accidentally remove a graft.

Still, whether it's one or six, none of are happy to loose any of our grafts...:confused:

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

You better get used to the itching sensation....but in the donor area during and after its healed. It's not that bad but you do feel the need to rub and itch the donor area weeks after surgery.

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

• 2 years later...

Geoff,

I know this topic is old but I appreciate you coming back in 2015 (4 years after your procedure) with Dr. Laorwong and letting us know that you are happy/satisfied with your results. Do you happen to have any before and after photos you'd be willing to share with this community? Dr. Laorwong is being considered for recommendation and it'd be nice to see photos presented by one of his actual patients.

Best wishes,

Bill