itching where thinning

Yes I had the same issue when started loosing my hair.

I was told it was the oil that scalp started producing in overtime mode. This is what you should do - "wash your hair or take shower daily" - my doctors advice. Also use Nutrogena T/Gel or Nizoral as well. That helped me a lot with my itching problems early on. But the damage was done and I had no choice but to go HT route.

BTW I still use Nizoral 2% 2X per week, take shower every day and my scalp does not itch at all. Once in a while I still got that odd itchy tingeling feeling on top of my head, but nothing like in early days of my early hairloss days when itch was daily and I didn't know about those two good shampoos and daily shower routine.

Hope this helps you as it helped me a great deal.

There are lots of other shampoos that contain Ketoconazole. It's a good addition in the fight against hair loss.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

What I do is alternate between Head & Shoulders 1% P.Zinc, Nizoral and Revita.

It works good since H&S have conditioner in it which counteracts the dry effect of Nizoral.

My itching has stopped almost completely now and I dont know if its cause of the Fin or the shampoos but Im so glad the iching is not there anymore, what a relief.

My hair is still oily but not as much as before.

• 3 weeks later...

First off, I would suggest you see a dermatologist just to make sure you don't have some treatable skin condition that is causing your scalp itch, and possibly--although unlikely--contributing to your hair loss.

Next, I too have an itchy scalp in exactly the same areas that my hair in thinning. As I've posted many times before...I am a huge fan of neutrogena t-gel shampoo and have used it for a decade. Its cheap and works to solve almost all scalp itchies...

Nevertheless, I still ask my wife to scratch my scalp, just in those areas. She tells me that the itchies are the "last gasp of a dying follicle" but I don't care. It just feels good to get a head scratch, doesn't it.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians