26 yo - Need Feedback at Pre-Surgery Stage (Pics Included)

Just wanted to say thanks for all the amazing info on this site. I hung around for a while 3 years ago, learned a lot, and I decided to get on fin/rogaine/niz. I'm back with close to 30 mo on the big 3 and I think they saved a good chunk of my hair. Check out my blog thingy below to see how the medications worked. I haven't really compared before and after much until now, but have to say I'm pretty thrilled.

So where am I now? I'm considering going for the surgical transplant. Been reading some posts and really want your opinions. I saw Dr. Charles in Boca Raton, FL towards the end of 2009 for a consult. He reccommended ~2100 grafts and wanted to pencil me in the day after. I felt like it was moving too fast and I didn't have enough research behind me and pulled out. I wanted to really give the meds a good amount of time to try to stabilize things and learn more.

I'm 26 now which seems like a controversial age around here to be going for the surgery. My mom's 2 brothers and father didn't have good luck with hair (90% bald at 24). My dad, his bros, and father all have similar hair too mine (got thinner and the hairline went back pretty good). I've only seen positive change since the meds and the hair seems to be holding. I also have very dense hair on the sides, so probably a good donor.

I want to get the hairline evened out and reenforced. Mainly 1) this stupid notch in the middle and 2) evening the L and R sides out (L goes back noticably further). I don't need it to straight across like when I was 10, I just want some symmetry. To be honest, I really want that notch part fixed as it's impossible to cover up unless I come my hair straight forward which doesn't work for me. I cringe everytime I see an outside pic of myself.

Questions

-So what do you guys think looking at the pics?

-Estimated # of grafts considering I'm okay with a little receding?

-FUT vs FUE?

Concerns

-Initial recovery. Don't want to walk around school with everyone staring. Can probably do 1-2 wks hidden away which may be enough to just look like some sunburn.

-The scar. If I ever want to buzz it down or shave my head, how much will this thing show?

-Messing up what I have. Thinking maybe just a small number in the notch part and quit. I can live with the receding if that notch is fixed.

I'll be sending out info to a few docs to get some opinions, but want to hear from all you experts too. The Shapiros in Minnesota seems like the way to go, but would like more opinions on where to go (I'm from FL, but willing to travel).

I recently just got engaged and will probably be doing the wedding next summer 2012, so that's something I really want to be looking awesome for. That's what kind of got me thinking again. This summer would be a good time for it!

Thanks guys :)

Hair Restoration Site for Alvarez13

Edited by Alvarez13

Hey man, I'm guessing you live in the Florida area, since you mentioned seeing Dr. Charles. I don't know how you feel about traveling, but I've had work done with Dr. Feller in Great Neck, NY. You can check out my pics a little further down on the page.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/160946-my-hair-restoration-journey-dr-feller.html

I had around 2200 grafts put into my hairline area. My guess is you'd probably need around the same. I had FUT. Though I've never shaved my head really short, the scar isn't noticeable at all with some hair grown out a little. I can't really say if you should do FUT or FUE, though I have heard that FUT is cheaper and yields a better graft survival rate, meaning better results. Hope this helps some. Good luck.

I saw Dr. Charles in Boca Raton, FL towards the end of 2009 for a consult. He reccommended ~2100 grafts and wanted to pencil me in the day after. I felt like it was moving too fast and I didn't have enough research behind me and pulled out. I wanted to really give the meds a good amount of time to try to stabilize things and learn more.

I'm 26 now which seems like a controversial age around here to be going for the surgery. My mom's 2 brothers and father didn't have good luck with hair (90% bald at 24). My dad, his bros, and father all have similar hair too mine (got thinner and the hairline went back pretty good). I've only seen positive change since the meds and the hair seems to be holding. I also have very dense hair on the sides, so probably a good donor.

I want to get the hairline evened out and reenforced. Mainly 1) this stupid notch in the middle and 2) evening the L and R sides out (L goes back noticably further). I don't need it to straight across like when I was 10, I just want some symmetry. To be honest, I really want that notch part fixed as it's impossible to cover up unless I come my hair straight forward which doesn't work for me. I cringe everytime I see an outside pic of myself.

Questions

-So what do you guys think looking at the pics?

-Estimated # of grafts considering I'm okay with a little receding?

-FUT vs FUE?

Good post. It's always refreshing to see a new posters doing their due diligence of research, seeking second opinions, and NOT JUMPING INTO THINGS!!!! This is a big decision.

I don't know anything about Dr. Charles, nor do I have an opinion on him (which doesn't mean anything for or against him, I just don't know anything about him), however, I must commend you for being prudent and patient in not taking the plunge the very next day. This is not to say that he wouldn't have given you an excellent result, it's just that I've heard too many horror stories of patients making rash decisions which they later come to regret.

Based on your post, I think you have realistic expectations. My only concern is your family history. I would definitely have a very long conversation with more than a few physicians concerning that matter.

Personally, I don't think 26 is too young. I know plenty of fellas who got HTs around that age. I got mine at age 29. I'm 7 months post-op. The only thing is that you have to take a few other things into consideration when you're in your twenties such as family history and response to medication, etc... It looks like you've responded well to the medication. I can see a definite improvement in your B&A medication photos.

Also, I think approximately 2,000 grafts is fair and realistic. It's not conservative, but I wouldn't really call it too aggressive either. It's midrange, leaning aggressive, in my opinion. I say this because of the photos in which you pull back your hair with your hand to reveal the true depth of your hair loss and widow's peak.

The scar is a nonissue for anything that is buzzed over a #3. I've always used a hair stylist and keep my hair a little longer so it is a complete nonissue for me as I would never shave or buzz my hair.

Consider FUE if you're really paranoid about the scar, but of course, be sure to research all the advantages and disadvantages. Personally, I'm neither for nor against it. I've seen excellent results with it. I think it is usually situational whether someone needs it.

I totally understand that you want to be looking great for your wedding, who wouldn't? But you have to remember that the final result typically takes anywhere form 1 year to 18 months. If you're dead set on getting married in 2012 (or rather your soon-to-be wife is dead set) then I wouldn't expect a final result by then... although, if you live in Florida, I guess you could get married towards the end of the year and the weather would still be nice.

The fact that you're willing to travel is a good sign and essential component of a well thought out HT. You mentioned that you were eying SMG. I'd say that that is an excellent choice. Consult with them as well as others. Most clinics do online consultations for free.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Corvettester

Edited by corvettester

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Dorin

1,696 FUT with Dr. Dorin on October 18, 2010.

1,305 FUT with Dr. Dorin on August 10, 2011.

565 FUE with Dr. Dorin on September 14, 2012.

I think you have had excellent results with the big 3! You appear to have actually regrown some hair and stabilized good.

On the other subject, Dr. Charles is an excellent physician and you are lucky to live near him. His rate per graft is very fair too.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Corvettester, your 10 day pics (Hair Restoration Journal -10 Day Update) are amazing. I see a lot of journals where people still have the redness going on and docs made them shave down the front and it seems like it takes months to look somewhat normal. If I could get to that stage, I'd be set. My hair could totally cover that up no one would be the wiser :).

By the way, what's the rule on the shaving the area where the transplants are going? Some docs want it clear to be able to see? I'd really love to not have to mess with any current hairs and get a 10 day pic like that.

What's also great is I'd be thrilled to be where you're are at the 4-6 mo rate. That would totally be enough to cover up the notch in the middle and straighten stuff a little without being at full growth. If I had this done this summer, say beginning Aug 2011, I'd probably be looking decent come June-July 2012 for the wedding.