I'm freaked out: Are my transplanted hair dislodging or growing?

Hi,

I'm 29 years old. I just had a hair transplant last week. It is 7 days now and I've still not lost a scab but what worries me most is that, I'm seeing noticeable hair length growth (well just 2-3 mm with almost 80%-90% of transplanted hair) of transplanted grafts. Since everybody is agreed that the transplanted hairs don't grow immediately and take 2-3 months, so then are these hairs dislodging? I mean are the scabs pulling them out?

I've not experienced any kind of bleeding or infection after the surgery. Scabs started forming next morning after the operation. I had a mild swelling of forehead for 2 days but is gone now.

My doctor says that it is nothing to worry about. But decided to ask if someone here had similar experience?

For some people some of the transplanted hairs can start growing and not fall out. Have you been following the washing instructions of your surgeon? The grafts can be anchored into your skin as early as five days but for others it can take up to 14 days. The scabs should start coming off on their own soon when as you continue to gently wash your head (as per the instructions).

The scabs themselves won't damage the grafts. It's possible that hairs are coming away, but the vital parts will remain in your scalp (assuming they were placed correctly).

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Visor,

Nothing to worry about at this point. It can take a little longer for scabs to fall off naturally. Many hair transplant doctors recommend gently massaging them off in the shower.

Hair Transplant Crust/Scab Removal

It's always the best policy to follow your doctor's post-operative care instructions.

Regarding hair growth, most hairs should shed in time. Some may remain and continue to grow. This is not a problem.

Best of luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Hi,

It is 7 days now and I've still not lost a scab but what worries me most is that, I'm seeing noticeable hair length growth (well just 2-3 mm with almost 80%-90% of transplanted hair) of transplanted grafts.

This worries you? It shouldn't. You are an extremely lucky individual to grow right after surgery. A small percentage of patients do grow without shedding.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Thanks all for the reply. Its day 9 today and the scabs are starting to fall (very little have fallen but at last they started to fall). I can still see hairs in places where scabs have fallen out. One thing is sure I've not lost any hair as I was afraid they were going to come out - follicle and all and ruin everything!

@RCWest : Thanks!! If the new hair never shed than that'd be great But after reading other posts I'd still wait and see if the growth continues after 4-5 weeks.

Cheers!

Thanks all for the reply. Its day 9 today and the scabs are starting to fall (very little have fallen but at last they started to fall). I can still see hairs in places where scabs have fallen out. One thing is sure I've not lost any hair as I was afraid they were going to come out - follicle and all and ruin everything!

@RCWest : Thanks!! If the new hair never shed than that'd be great But after reading other posts I'd still wait and see if the growth continues after 4-5 weeks.

Cheers!

Try not to panic visor, we have a long wait ahead of us. I am five days in front of you btw.