Coffee for hair loss?

rws

Interesting to read about a recent study which linked coffee-drinking to a decrease in prostate cancer in men. As the link between prostate drugs (finasteride etc.) and hair loss prevention / reversal is strong, I wondered whether coffee might have a small positive effect on male pattern baldness too? The article is here:

BBC News - Coffee 'cuts prostate cancer risk' US study suggests

Although the article suggests that caffeine isn't the active ingredient here (decaff had the same effect), I do remember seeing some caffeine-based shampoos on the market not long ago, which claimed to have some effect in combatting MPB.

Suddenly I feel less bad for drinking so much coffee a day ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting point about blood pressure, hadn't read that but would like to know more. Maybe the lowering effect on blood pressure is one reason oral Minoxidil is so effective at reversing hair loss?

About food fads - at some point everything is good / bad for you - think the scientists just like to keep us on our toes! ;)

I have stumbled upon articles saying caffeine can help with hair loss treatment.

I'm still thinking though how much caffeine should we take for it to actually work since too much of coffee or tea (and other caffeinated products) can cause anxiety, restlessness, insomnia, and irregular heartbeat and I don't it would work with just one cup of coffee per day since I always have one already. Lol.

• 3 weeks later...

Another interesting point to note is that caffeine is a natural diuretic - so could perhaps be of benefit in reducing the negative side-effects of those taking oral minoxidil (water / salt retention).

• 2 weeks later...
There's no evidence that caffeine in normal everyday quantities is bad for hair growth:

Is Tea or Coffee Bad for Your Hair? - Balding Blog

Caffeine is in coffee.. Caffeine raises cortisol levels. High Cortisol levels increase DHT.

But Its alright to drink coffee in the morning. Cause it has little effect on insulin. But if you drink coffee during lunch and dinner your insulin will spike and this will effect your hair. So in short. Coffee is alright in the morning but no later.