Generic Rogaine Foam Coming to Market

After years of patient waiting and speculation, generic minoxidil foam has finally been announced!

I know I've been waiting a long time for this. Currently I only use Rogaine Foam in the morning and generic liquid at night in order to stretch my dollar.

At this time there is no word on pricing or scent. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for unscented.

FDA Approves Generic Rogaine (5% Minoxidil) Foam

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

David, thanks for the update. I've been searching myself for generic. Well It's gotta be cheaper than rogaine. I can't use the liquid as it dries my scalp and leaves dandruff like flakes all over the place. I myself use the foam twice a day.

Dave,

Thanks for researching and presenting the good news about upcoming generic Rogaine foam on our popular Hair Loss Q&A Blog and on our forum. Personally, I've been using Rogaine foam each morning and every night for almost 7 months and feel that it's helped thicken up the appearance of my hair, at least a little bit. Rogaine foam is easy to apply, has no odor (if you're using the unscented version), and doesn't leave my hair with that greasy feeling its liquid counterpart does. As an adjunct benefit, the foam seems to act as a styling agent and keeps my hair in place quite nicely.

Hopefully the generic minoxidil foam will be equally as effective and as an additional benefit, save people some money. Once generic Rogaine foam is available, we will most likely be offering it at a discounted price in our online hair loss product shop. To buy Rogaine foam, click here.

Best wishes,

Bill

Bill, how do you apply the foam? My hair looks pretty much the same as yours in lenght. I recently switched from liquid to foam and I find it hard to get the foam on to the scalp. Most of it ends up on the actual hair! I find myself using alot of the foam just to make sure some of it actually sinks through to the scalp. Can you offer any advice?

Edited by Larasa

I am a bit confused, I thought that there was already a generic version of minoxidil foam available, produce by Newton Everett Biotech?

Its available on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/FOLIGAIN-MINOXIDIL-fluid-ounces-SUPPLY/dp/B004QDWNIE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=beauty&qid=1305140916&sr=8-1) and in Europe from Biovea (http://www.biovea.co.uk/(S(tkujednaqq1opa45qnudmoin))/product_detail.aspx?PID=2455&CID=0&OS=204).

Yes, propylene glycol is listed as an ingredient, is that a problem?

To answer my own question, it seems that propylene glycol is commonly used even in oral and injectable products and is generally regarded as safe (although there are of course different views on this) see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propylene_glycol. Anyway, I appear to already be using it in my shower gel without it doing me too much harm!

Edited by Ibby

Do you have a date when this will be available?

Carly

I've read March 2012.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

This does not appear to be generic. Price very similiar to Rogaine. It's from a company that makes supplements Newton Everett Biotech

I cant comment on US prices for Rogain but in the UK the Newton Everett version of the foam is 33% cheaper than the original (about GBP45 for 3 months of Rogain Foam, GBP30 for three months of the Newton Everett version). The savings over the long term would clearly be quite significant. It remains to be seen how much the Perrigo generic version will cost or indeed what the ingredients will be (other than Minoxidil) - has anyone managed to find any indication of this?

Any generic version is I think a good thing because hopefully it should at least bring the price of the Rogain original foam down.

I will be buying some of the Newton Everett version and will report back but I would be interested to know if someone has already tried it. I also think the original e-mail / blog post should be amended to point out to people that there is already a cheaper version of Minoxidil available in the foam delivery method.

I've never heard of Foligain before. The Amazon link seems to be dead now and I can't find it from any other legitimate source here in the US.

From what I've been reading, Perrigo recently prevailed in a legal battle with GlaxoSmithKline over patent infringement. So, my guess is that since the Foligain product contains propylene glycol, perhaps they've skirted the patent laws somehow. At any rate, I think what we'll see with the approval of this new generic is a cheaper alternative that is readily available on our local store shelves. Perhaps Costco will deliver a Kirkland branded generic foam.

Edited by TakingThePlunge

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

I agree that the different formulation (propylene glycol) seems to be an attempt to skirt patent laws because the patent on the Minoxidil itself has long expired so only the formulation of the delivery method (the foam) can now be patented. I would also guess that this is why it is only available in Europe (although strange that it was available on Amazon.com until last night - perhaps someone is watching this forum!).

Anyway, hopefully more choice = lower price :-)