29 yo Asian scheduled for HT later this mth (May 2011)

First of all, I want to thank all of you here for sharing your knowledge and information about HT over the years. I've been a regular to this forum for over two years. Without the inputs from you guys, I would still have been skeptical about the viability of HT while suffering the chronic agony of seeing my hair go away day by day.

Background

29-old-male with Asian (East Asian) who has experienced hair loss since 21(?) Been on rogaine every day since 21 and finasteride every other day since 26 (avoiding the full dosage for fear of side effects in the long run).

Family pattern: Dad as well as my 5 uncles from both the paternal and maternal sides started experiencing hair loss in their twenties and with no exception all had a hair line that reached their crowns before or around 40. I'm one of those guys who has been told since I was a child not to dread over losing hair when i grow up as it's a CERTAINTY that it will happen to me....

HT

Scheduled on 5/31 with Dr. Feller

Want to share my own experience here by way of giving back to the community, and especially to provide another data point for Asian males suffering from hair loss as there hasn't been too many Asians sharing their HT experience in this forum

Pre-op thoughts

I'll be traveling from out of state to see the doc which means I wouldn't be available for a physical consultation prior to the procedure. However, with the helpful emails from the staff (Sharon) and others who have shared their experience with Dr. Feller here, I think I'll be in good hands.

That said, I was wondering if there are other patients with an Asian descent who have had HT with Dr. Feller willing to share their experience here? In particular, how did the pre-op consultation go on the day of the procedure? What are the MUSTs I should ask and/or let the doc and his team know to ensure they have all the info needed to perform a successful op on me? Any Asian-hair specific concerns that should be voiced out?

Thank you for your input :)

hkeemun,

Congratulations on your decision to take control of your hair loss! You are most definitely in great hands with Dr. Feller.

While I'm not aware of any Asian members who have had procedures with Dr. Feller, I am confident that given his years of experience and location close to New York City that he has performed surgery on every type of hair imaginable.

Best of luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

I'm not having a procedure with Dr. Feller, but I do have Asian decent (half Asian / European) and am 28. I am undergoing a FUE procedure with Dr. Paul Shapiro on Monday. I'll keep you posted as to how it goes. Good luck to you.

Long time lurker (9+ yrs) and first time poster...My last surgery was on July of 2010 with Dr. Feller. And I am of Asian decent (Korean). Please feel free to PM with any questions and/or concerns.. BTW, I reside in NYC and if you need any assistance during your stay.. please feel free to let me know.. my way of giving back to the community..