Distribution of HT Results

We all know that even with the best doc, some people will get great results, some good, some ok and some poor. I am a numbers guy so I am wondering what the % would be in each catagory and what are the definitions of "Great", "Good" "Ok" and "Poor". This distribution I think is key to know going into a HT so one can weigh the risk/reward benifit. It seems most of what I see and read are either great results or poor results but there are allot (and I believe most) results in between. Since results range from procedure to procedure, this may be why to me it seems that so many people are "OK" with their results. I know it is subjective and some are more easily satisfied then others but based on all I have read and seen over the last several years, I think the breakdown looks like this. This is only my opinion and based on nothing except my own perception ASSUMING A TOP DOC is used. If anyone has a more quantitative way to break this down, please share:

Great Results:25% (Most to all grfats have grown in, hair lays well, dense coverage; Results exceeded patient expectations and they are happy they did it).

Good Results:50% (Most to all grafts have grown in, hair lays fairly well, medium to dense coverage. Results met patient's expectations and they are glad their did it.)

OK Results:20% (Most grafts have grown in, sparse to medium coverage. Patient is not thrilled about the results but not angry either.)

Poor Results:5% (Low yield growth and same or worst off the before HT).

Thanks

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

We all know that even with the best doc, some people will get great results, some good, some ok and some poor. I am a numbers guy so I am wondering what the % would be in each catagory and what are the definitions of "Great", "Good" "Ok" and "Poor". This distribution I think is key to know going into a HT so one can weigh the risk/reward benifit. It seems most of what I see and read are either great results or poor results but there are allot (and I believe most) results in between. Since results range from procedure to procedure, this may be why to me it seems that so many people are "OK" with their results. I know it is subjective and some are more easily satisfied then others but based on all I have read and seen over the last several years, I think the breakdown looks like this. This is only my opinion and based on nothing except my own perception ASSUMING A TOP DOC is used. If anyone has a more quantitative way to break this down, please share:

Great Results:25% (Most to all grfats have grown in, hair lays well, dense coverage; Results exceeded patient expectations and they are happy they did it).

Good Results:50% (Most to all grafts have grown in, hair lays fairly well, medium to dense coverage. Results met patient's expectations and they are glad their did it.)

OK Results:20% (Most grafts have grown in, sparse to medium coverage. Patient is not thrilled about the results but not angry either.)

Poor Results:5% (Low yield growth and same or worst off the before HT).

Thanks

My Hairloss Web Site -

7871 Grafts

I can appreciate the way you are approaching this. But let me point out that even the BEST hair transplants will not be "dense" or even "medium to dense". The only exception to this is where there is minimal loss in the front and the patients hairline is being strengthened or rebuilt. Restoration from NW4+ is a different story.

I agree patiet satisfaction varies greatly. Certainly if less than 90% of grafts grow, this could be a significant factor in unhappiness, but I believe the PRIMARY reason that people don't get "home runs" or aren't thrilled with their results, is differences in donor quality.

In my particular case, my HT density is not what I had anticipated. When I put the transplanted hair under a miscroscope (literally), I see a couple things. 1) I dont believe there was 100% growth in the hairline, maybe 80%. (behind the hairline it seems most all of the hair grew, so Im not talking about a significant number of lost grafts.) There are some areas with gaps. 2) Much of the donor hair is very, very fine.

The second point, that not all donor hair is created equally is the important point. The donor hair from the sides of my head is not as thick as the donor hair from the back. I can see some very thick hairs, but for every "thick" hair, there are a couple really fine hairs. And two fine hairs do not provide the same coverage as one of my thicker hairs. And I am sure that two of my "thick" hairs do not provide the same coverage as just one of someone elses.

so the point is that if the hairs themselves were more substantial, I could see the result appearing very full. A fine haired individual may require 3x as many hairs to achieve the same look.

Of course this is a sobering message, that most people will not be able to achive the "wow" results that they beieve they are seeing. This doesnt mean the results are not cosmetically significant or that they dont make a big difference, because they can!

The other thing to consider is that until you have had a HT, its hard to interpret the photographs and what they mean by illusion of density. Some of the patients who I initially thought had very full results, when I inspect the photos, I see they are dealing with some of the same issues. Careful styling and choice photographs can make the result look much fuller than the look you have just rolling out of bed. Add some toppik or dermatch and you may be able to achieve a downright thick looking result.

I forgot to add that if you go to a top doc, you should get 90%+ growth, a good hairline design and overall plan, and the hair laying properly. Not all docs can do this but the best ones can.

Even if you get 100% growth, good hair angulation, and good design, you may still not be happy.

Peronally, while the quality of my transplanted hair does not meet my expectations (not saying that anything was done wrong in the HT, in fact it may be the best HT in the world given my donor qualities), I am impressed with how it has improved people's reactions to me. I also feel more youthful and stylish.

A guy could get an amazingly dense HT and find that it does nothing to improve how other's perceive him or how he feels about himself. (I imagine the guys that go from NW1 to NW0 get absolutely no change in how others perceive them.) Also, a guy that looks good bald will probably not reap the same benefits. But a guy who looks ten years older than his age and has an awkward look bald, may reap incredible benefits from having just a little hair on his head.

So I dont think you can express patient satisfaction with numbers. Its going to vary by individual circumstance.

Thanks guys. I understand what you are saying.

While I understand that satisfaction of results vary by patient perception and expectations, I want to make sure my expectations are aligned with typical results. I have decided that I cannot get this by simply posting messages or looking at pictures. I have to see patients in person. Responses and opinions are all over the map and quite frankly it is making my head spin. Again, I know that it is an individual thing to a point but when you disill it all down, I feel that good is good and bad is bad and ok is ok. I do not want to go into a HT not knowing if typical results will staisfy me or not. It seems that I can not get a strait answer as to what "Typical results" are. All I keep hearing is that it is subjective.

Thanks. I appreciate your feedback

My Hairloss Web Site -

7871 Grafts

Originally posted by Can't decide:

Thanks guys. I understand what you are saying.

While I understand that satisfaction of results vary by patient perception and expectations, I want to make sure my expectations are aligned with typical results. I have decided that I cannot get this by simply posting messages or looking at pictures. I have to see patients in person. Responses and opinions are all over the map and quite frankly it is making my head spin. Again, I know that it is an individual thing to a point but when you disill it all down, I feel that good is good and bad is bad and ok is ok. I do not want to go into a HT not knowing if typical results will staisfy me or not. It seems that I can not get a strait answer as to what "Typical results" are. All I keep hearing is that it is subjective.

Thanks. I appreciate your feedback

Even an in person consultation may not provide the answers!

You need to find someone with exactly the same hair quality and loss pattern, with similar skin color and head shape.

If your hair quality is good (medium to thick), and your loss pattern is NW5 or less, and you are 35 years or older (have lowered expectations), then you have a good chance of attaining the illusion of density and being satisfied.

How old are you? What loss category? Is your hair fine, medium, or coarse? What color is it? Do you still have your temple points?