Dr. Dorin consultation

zo1279

Hey Everyone! I recently had a consultation with Dr. Dorin of True & Dorin. First off...the place was really nice and quite professional. The consultant that I met with initially was really nice and professional and answered some of my many questions as he also had the procedure done which obviously gives him credibility. Then I saw the Dr. and he too was great. He was very patient with me and my random detailed questions that I had. He determined that I am around a Norwood 3 give or take. My issue is my hairline and how we need to rebuild it and the frontal 1/3. He said I would need around 1,700 FU's, which is pretty much what the other Dr's that I have met with indicated. I know it is a debate as to whether Dr's shave the recipient area or not but he does not, which to me in a big issue because I don't want to have anymore down time than I really need (meaning I don't want to have to take 6 months off from work to re-grow my original hair that was shaved down). Granted perhaps this shouldn't necessarily be a big selling point as I should and am more concerned with results and clearly Dr. Dorin has those results especially his specialty seems to be hairlines. The question I guess I have is that he indicated that I will need the 1,700 grafts and that will provide nice coverage/density but I would probably have to come back for a touch up to increase density if I so chose too. The question is...has anyone had approx. 1,700 give or take Fu's in their hairline area and wasn't satisfied with the density? (this is not a question of Dr. skill but more of realistic expectations because I don't want to go in thinking something that is not feasible and be ultimately disapointed for no reason). Just curious to see how this amount of FU's will truly look as pictures are hard to truly tell.

Also, I am looking to perhaps chat with any True & Dorin patients...so if that is you please feel free to respond to this thread or PM me! Thanks!!!

Thanks!!!

What a coincidence!

I had 1,698 grafts FUT by Dr. Dorin on October 18th, 2010. I too was a NW3. I'll be posting my 6 month update on Monday, April 18th.

I'm basically in the exact same boat as you. I'm not sure if this is going to be enough density either. It's looking pretty good now for 6 months, but it still has a lot more maturing to do so it'd be silly to be presumptuous now.

I'm glad that I took a more conservative approach though. Even mega-sessions often have to come back for touch-ups. Also, being that it was my first HT, I wanted to make sure that I didn't have any physiological limitations that would prevent my hair from growing.

At the end of the day, I think it's just a matter of choice and preference based on all the variables of whether to go with a mega-session or not. I'm glad I chose not to, but that is only for personal and financial reasons... I literally just finished paying off my HT this week!

Also, take in to consideration that the bigger the session, the greater the likelihood of shockloss. I had virtually NO shockloss, but I've seen guys with very severe shockloss... some of which they claimed stayed permanent! Then you have to consider your age and donor supply as well as propensity for future loss, etc...

Plus, there are a lot of other variables that I'm not really an authority on. So stay on this forum and ask some the veterans... they're the most valuable resource. You're on the right track in your research thus far.

Good luck with your HT and let me know if there is anything I can do to help. And yes, I agree that T&D is a first rate operation. You made a good decision consulting with them.

Corvettester

Edited by corvettester

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Dorin

1,696 FUT with Dr. Dorin on October 18, 2010.

1,305 FUT with Dr. Dorin on August 10, 2011.

565 FUE with Dr. Dorin on September 14, 2012.

Without seeing your current hairline, knowing your goals, and seeing your donor quality, it is impossible for anyone on this forum to say if 1700 will be enough. You really need to post some pics for an accurate assessment. I'm not certain why the doctor would tell you you might need a touch-up procedure--if he anticipates you won't be happy with the density, then why not go for more grafts? Did he mention if there was some factor preventing a bigger session? I personally would try and meet my goals in one surgery, if possible. Regarding corvettester's point on shockloss: this is really not an issue. Any hairs that are permanently shocked out were likely very thin and on their way out anyway. A bigger concern when transplanting into existing, diffuse hair is transection which can destroy healthy follicles. But you needn't worry about this with a competent surgeon like Dr. Dorin.

Edited by hairthere

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com