FUE vs. FUT

zo1279

Hi Everyone...I am well versed in FUT vs. FUE...but the quick question I want to know is scaring. FUT yields a thin white scar perhaps from ear to ear from what I see and read. But FUE scaring...how does this work? I see those red dots the procedure leaves behind but when they heal are they visible...i know they probably are not when the hair grows in but underneath the hair if you were to say shave your head is this still visible? Reason being I really am trying to avoid a large scar and if i could get away with FUE (as I need my hairline filled in) I'd rather that with minimal scaring. Please advise...thanks!!!

FUE scars leave small red scabs at first, and after 8-10 days the scabs will fall off leaving pink dots which will heal very similarly to the pinkness on the recipient area. FUE does leave small scars, but are very difficult to see even if you shave your head down to a #1 on a razor. If you were to cleanly shave your head then you would notice small white dots, but again even if you leave your hair at #1 on a razor setting it should be unnoticeable.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I agree with Thehairupthere but I have to add a caveat. It depends on your donor characteristics. The thicker your donor hair and the lower the contrast ratio between hair color and scalp color will give you the highest probability of shaving to a #1 and not have any noticeable donor scarring. It also of course depends on the size of the extraction tool but of course that goes without saying (but I said it anyway:)).

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Zo, in had fue. After a few weeks I can't see any scarring when I buzz to a #1 or #2. I have seen pics from other fue where there are little white dots that are barely visible. This depends as jotronic said on punch size.

5700 FUE in 3 procedures with Dr. Bisanga

View my patient website:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1874

wow great work! Thanks Spex! I would love to have FUE because there are no visible scaring as noted above but FUT still seems to be the best thing for large grafting sessions. I gather FUE will be the future of HT's in that there is a way to avoid a long scar. I have heard though that there is a much lower yield for FUE than FUT as noted by a lot of Dr's threads including Dr. F.

I had a 800 graft fue session and i could reasonabley shave down to a blade 1 and sometimes a 1/2 blade but shaving down to 0 shows the little scars, my surgeon used a 1mm size hole punch which is quite big nowa days!

Fue surgery apparently wastes a lot of grafts in the local area of each graft extracted and also if you have a slight curl in your hair a lot of extracted grafts are killed as the tool cuts cuts the bottom of the graft off and then is pulled out dead. And in extreme cases that only happened to me with one punch the graft is pushed forward into you skul and left to infect.

Baring all this in mind my fue surgery changed my life for the better and was the right decision at the time. My surgeon was a master fue surgeon that did a bit of work for a company in the uk where i live but i question if i'd of had a better surgeon how things would of turned out for me.

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk