Dr Feller or Dr Hasson?

bluebottle

Hi all,

I'm a new poster on the forum, but I've been actively reading topics for the last few months.

I'm 31 years old, a diffuse thinner (photos attached I hope) and I am looking to get my HT procedure done in early 2010. This will I hope be my first and last HT!

I have narrowed my choices down to Dr Feller and Dr Hasson, and as I live in England, have sent my photos off to be reviewed by the two docs. I am looking for my hairline to be rebuilt and my thinning areas filled in from front to back giving me good density.

Dr F has estimated I will need in the region of 3500 grafts and Dr H 4000 grafts. I have also met up with Spex (Dr F) and spoken to Joe (Dr H) both of whom are great guys and very knowledgeable.

As I cannot find faults with either of the two doctors, I'm wanting advice from you experienced guys as to who I should go for?

I realise it may not be possible, but I really just want the one procedure, with a nice natural result. I realise shock loss is possible and dependant on the individual but as I am thin throughout and not having one large completely bald patch I am worried about permanently losing my existing hairs that I've spent years trying to maintain through minoxidil and propecia.

I'm wondering whether my needs are to small to justify Dr H. as he seems to deal with patients who need a much larger number of grafts. I realise the amount of grafts is directly related to how much density I will get but I'm looking for the best result for the smallest number of grafts - the best overall package really, but that means i don't have to have another procedure in the future if i can keep my existing hair through the use of meds.

I'm not wanting to know who's better on cost/distance to travel - it all comes down to with which Dr. I will get the best results for my own specific situation.

Any advice, would be greatly appreciated...

Many thanks

Hi BB

Tbh i think your hair looks ok , are u taking propecia/fin. whats your hair look like grown out longer , i think both docs are exellent choices. my concern would as u being diffuse would be shockloss of whats already there. Imo i would go down the meds route and hold out a couple of more years at least.

Of course both doctors are excellent choices. with the estimated number of grafts, I'd personally go with Dr. Hasson.

I'm in little doubt that you will get a great result from whichever doctor you decide on.

BB, You seem to be making conflicting statements. You say you only want one session, yet you want the smallest session you can get for the money. If the former really is your goal, then you'll want to maximize your graft count with as large a megasession as possible.

Realistically there are few people who will have just one session. Being on meds does not guarantee your hairloss will not progress. Also, many HT patients experience "hair greed"; no matter how pleased they may be with their first surgery, they always want more hair.

There is also the question of density versus coverage. Some patients opt to go for as high a density as possible and therefore sacrifice total amount of surface covered. The other approach is to go for less density, and coverage as far back as possible. Being a diffuse thinner makes this even trickier because post-HT you can experience shockloss or your hairloss can naturally progress.

I think both docs are fantastic choices, but if I were you I'd do the following: make sure you have a solid game plan (density vs. coverage) which includes considering the reality of future loss (you look like a NW6). And, almost as important an element of choosing a great doc is having realistic goals. Make sure yours are fully understood (by yourself and the doc). Lastly, see as many patients in person as possible. Best of luck!

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Guest wanthairs

Blue bottle---

I would get on finasteride and minoxidil asap and wait. Your hair looks okay, and without these products, you will lose a lot more possibly, and would need another procedure in any case.

I remember when my hair was like yours. I fretted and worried constantly. In retrospect Im glad I waited till I was completely bald before I got 2 procedures, the second of which was by Dr. Hasson, whom I cannot recommend highly enough. Quite frankly, even if he doubled his prices, Id still go to him for another procedure in the future.

Both are excellent. I've gone to both of them, and the only reason I didn't go back to Dr. H was that I decided for a small FUE session. As far as I know, Dr H is not doing FUE's. If I needed the type of session you're describing, which is going to be a strip session, either doctor will give you great results. Flip a coin.

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated. To be honest that is my hair just after it was cut. The longer it is the more transparent it looks, which is why I try and keep it as short as possible.

My hair has always been on the thin side, but I've probably lost about 70% of what I originally had - this is even with the application of minoxidil for the last 10 years (5%, 12%, 15% + retin a and azelaic acid etc) and finasteride (propecia) for the last 3 and a half years. The propecia stabilised my hair loss initially between years 1 and 2 but it seems like i have become intolerant of it in the last year - pretty reluctant to take avodart due to the reports and its half life. I've also tried laser treatment and got sucked into wearing a hair system for a year which I regret big time!

I am worried about permanently losing my existing hairs that I've spent years trying to maintain through minoxidil and propecia.

It looks like some of you guys have missed the above, bluebottle has stated that he has been using Finasteride and Minoxidil for years.

Edit: Haha BB, you beat me to it.

Bb,

Both docs are excellent, of course, but I'd recommend that you spend several hours poring over the patient photos and high-quality videos on each surgeon's site looking to see the results of patients who started out looking more or less like you do right now - and go with the one who consistently delivers the outcomes that you'd like to see for yourself.

That was what led me to choose Dr. Hasson (and it wasn't even a close call), but I know individual results may vary. ;-)

BB

I agree with above posts - both top rate clinics. Your story reminds me of my own situation, I also wanted a one and done HT.

My shortlist also included H&W, Dr. F and one other - I decided on Dr Feller and am delighted with the with result - I found the decision stage the most difficult part, so if you live in the South East of England, I would be happy to meet up and show you my results.

Tubs

=======================

3,500 grafts - Dr Feller - 08/08/08

Great advice...nice to know how helpful people are on this!

I've had a look at various before and after photos and videos - and I can't seem to find too many that follow my exact hair characteristics, or still can't decide between the two Dr's - I feel as indecisive as most females!!

It does seem that Dr Hasson is very good at the mega 'megasessions' but as both Dr's have suggested between 3500 - 4000 grafts for me, I'm half thinking I'd be happy with the results from Dr Feller (provided my native hair doesn't all fall out through permanent shock loss and with my transplanted hair replacing it, I'm back to where I currently am!)

I've also read various conference papers and comments from the Dr's themselves, and it seems Dr Feller can only has highly complimentary things to say about Dr. Hasson, so that in itself may say something...

Tubs, I've seen your photos on a different site - really impressed and I'd definitely be happy if i could acheive that type of result. From looking at your before photos, they do seem quite similar to the stage I'm at now. So appreciate the offer to meet up, I'm in the Midlands but quite happy to meet up with you in the South East when convenient...

You seem like you are approaching this with a great amount of forethought. It can have, as you no doubt realize, amajor impact on the quality of your life. I, like you, thought I was only going to need one pass. But, as Spex has noted in previous posts, hair greed got a hold of me. I tell you this so you will at least take the possibility of a second into considersideration.