Post-Op Exercise

How long should one wait after a hair transplant before considering the following activities...

-Walking?

-Running - 3 miles? 10 miles?

-Lifting weights - Machines? Free weights?

-Abs - Leg raises? Crunches? Sit-ups?

-Whitewater rafting?

-Wall-climbing?

My primary objective is to not stretch or harm the donor scar, but I would like to have a better idea as to when I can feel comfortable resuming activities without doing any damage. (FWIW, 1744 grafts from strip extending from above one ear to the other... 100 staples.)

Thanks!

Edited by Gossamer

After my HT, I stayed away from social engagements for a few weeks and I too was eager to hit the gym. You'll hear a lot of different advice, and I really don't know what the right answer is so I'll share what I did. My doc advised me not to run until 4 weeks after my HT. When I did run, i made sure to keep the area nice and clean. I did not start lifting weights until 2 months after my procedure, and when I did, I started with lighter weights than I am used to. The bottom line was, when it doubt, err on the side of caution.

- badger

3279 grafts with Dr Gabel - 06/12/08

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Gabel

Here is some good information (provided by Dr. Paul Shapiro) on exercising post-operatively from the Hair Loss Q&A blog. Additionally, I recommend utilizing the forum search function to help gather more information on the subject of post-operative exercise (as it's a pretty common topic which has been discussed quite a bit in the past). Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

When I had my sutures removed at 13 days, the doctor told me I did not have to curtail anything. He said there was nothing I could do to harm the grafts. He did say however to wait atleast another week to do any heavy weight lifting. That being said I waited another few days and lifted very light, worked my way up to moderate and have stayed there. I am now at 4 weeks and continue to do moderate lifting and running.