hair coloring...just a few Q's

byron

I have a decent head of hair im 27 but have noticed im going slightly grey around the sides, this is something i am not freaked out about as it can be easily disguised...however i am using minox foam and alpecin caffeine shampoo as MPB is in the family especially my mothers side and my dad went thin around 35, all i have is a slight M forehead surrounded by alot of thick hair

Would coloring my hair weaken the hair follicles and ruin the hard work the minoxidil foam and the alpecin has already done?

thanks for your time

Byron,

Ammonia and peroxide are the two ingredients in hair dyes that can cause some brittleness and possible breakage of hairs. They have no effect on the follicles which are the "living" part of the hair and located under the skin. Peroxides are in almost all hair coloring agents that lighten the color of the hair. Ammonia is in most products that color the hair permanently ( that is, until the roots grow out and the newest portion of the hair stalk shows some gray). The reason going to a salon is always preferable to doing it yourself is that the salon professional can apply the new coloring to the root portion that is not permanently colored and avoid or minimize "re-coloring" the portion done before. The repeated bombardment of the hair with ammonia can in some persons lead to breakage, which means there would be less hair mass on the head and it would appear as if you had less hair.

Consumer Reports around 10 months ago did an article on hair coloring products and the highest rated one for men was Clairol Natural Instincts for Men. The amount of ammonia in this product is reportedly less than in most products.

There are also "rinse" colorings which have to be applied daily after (or, with some products during) showering. They can't harm the hair shaft but require frequent application obviously.

Mike Beehner, M.D.

I don't know if anyone knows for sure, but I have always told my patients to wait around 3 weeks. As I said above, the follicle is the only thing that is "alive" as such in the follicle/hair structure, so one would want the skin surface healed sufficiently that chemicals on the surface wouldn't harm the follicles that were recently planted. Hydrogen Peroxide is another liquid that is toxic to grafts and should not be used during the first week at the very least.

Mike Beehner, M.D.

It's good to know dyeing the hair won't have any effects with Minox foam. I used to have my hair colored (I experience premature graying) and did experience some dryness so conditioner was a "must-have" but stopped when I used Rogaine a few months back. So I guess I can go back to dyeing. :)