Final Verdict on suspending Minoxidil (Rogaine) use prior to an HT...

Everywhere you look or ask, even among different surgeons, there is a huge difference in what they recommend for how long prior to the HT to suspend Rogaine use. What is the reason for this?

I understand that Rogaine increases blood flow to the scalp and can thin the blood, thus it can result in complications and excessive bleeding during the procedure. But shouldn't it be known by now exactly how LONG to discontinue for?

I ask because some surgeons like Dr. Shapiro say discontinuing is NOT necessary at all, and others have said to discontinue it just a few days prior. Then you have a bunch of other surgeons saying they recommend 3 or 4 weeks, and some say 5 or even 6 weeks. I even heard that Hasson & Wong say no Rogaine for 2 months prior to the procedure? What's with this big discrepancy between surgeons?

I know that people should follow their own surgeons instructions before the procuedure-- and it just baffles me because these are all respectable surgeons, with complete differeing viewpoints on something, that at this point should be a somewhat established fact.

Is there any proof that shows that Rogaine takes a full 2 months to leave the system and support some surgeons, or any proof that its out of the system within a day or so? etc. How do we know whats the best answer?

I have not scheduled a procedure yet, and have not even decided on a surgeon-- but this is just something that strikes me as odd.

Also on a side-note-- since the use of Rogaine is not recommended because of the increased blood flow and thinner blood aspect of it, does that mean other things that cause those same things (excercise, running, multi-vitamins, etc) should be stopped too? Because I go to the gym and run on a daily basis, and take vitamins quite frequently too. And just like with Rogaine, I don't want to have to discontinue those routines for longer than actually needed.

Anyway if someone can shed some light on this, it would really help out.

Edited by TakingThePlunge

My clinic said certain vitamins and suppliments should also be stopped a few days prior. I dont remember which ones off the top but I have a list somewhere. When you choose a doc, they will probably give you a list of preop instructions with those recommendations

5700 FUE in 3 procedures with Dr. Bisanga

View my patient website:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1874

Yeah that's what confusing. Each clinic has a very different set of instructions when it comes to Rogaine. How do I know who is the most reliable and who to go with? I mean it is the same procedure, so I don't understand why there is such a big discrepancy.

What is a reasonable amount of time to suspend the use of Rogaine prior to an HT? I mean I don't really believe in the people who say it is absolutely not necessary to stop using it. But on the other hand, I feel like 2 months is really excessive. When I stop using Rogaine for a week, I feel my hairs starting to fall out as if it has already stopped working and has left my system.

Hey mate,

I definitely see your concerns, I too wish to query this.

I think you will find however that different clinics will advise their own time frames based on either experience or certain testing....I guess.

Hopefully one of our top Docs can chime in.

Cheers,

Edited by MusoInOz

"The road to success is always under construction"

:cool: I represent Dr Rahal and the associated clinic as a paid patient advisor.

I am also here to assist fellow Australian/NZ Hair Loss sufferers both on and off the forum.

Hair Transplant Surgery:

June 3rd 2011

2800 Grafts to frontal 1/3

By Dr Rahal in Ottawa, Canada

Current Hair Loss Arsenal:

Dutas .5mg every day 1.5 years and Proscar 5mg (Cut into 1/4): x1 Daily 10 years

Hair-A-Gain Generic Minox: x2 Daily 13 years

(Applied wet in mornings)

Other Random products put to use during my hair loss battle (not in use):

Spiro Cream 5mg

Minox 15%

Dr Proctor's Nano Shampoo

Various Herbal supplements

Toppik/ Nanogen

Saw Palmetto

Provillus - LOL

Nanogen Shampoo

Laser Treatments (Epic Fail)

10 long years of HT and general HL research.:cool:

*I am not a medical professional, I only offer my own advice from personal experiences and years of detailed research*

The bottom line is that if the incisions the doc makes keep spewing out blood, then when the techs plant the grafts (there is a CHANCE) they will keep popping back out! So the tech will have to keep grabbing the graft and re-inserting it, thus increasing the CHANCE of damage.

Why would you want to take that chance ?

Also, if your head keeps bleeding then how is the doc going to "get into his zone" and do the best possible job when every 3 seconds he has to stop and hold a rag on your head to stop the bleeding ?

2, 3 or 4K tiny incisions on your head that keep spitting out blood -- do you see the problem now ?

I definitely understand WHY they request the use of Minodixil to be suspended, and nobody wants to take those chances.

I am just curious as to what is a reasonable amount of time to be off of it? In my opinion 8 weeks seems like overkill (Hasson & Wong). And 0% Weeks seems irresponsible and reckless (Shapiro).

How is it possible to know what is a REASONABLE amount of time to stop using it? Shouldn't 2-4 full weeks do the trick??

Again, why take ANY chances ?

So to eliminate ANY possibility go with the longest recommendation.

Now you have your answer. ;)

I guess that makes sense, from the better safe than story standpoint.

It's just my only issue is in the past whenever I have stopped using Minoxidil for an extended period of time I always notice a drastic decrease in hair. And even when I resume its use it seems the damage is done, and it never got any better. So all I'm saying is that if there is evidence that shows that the effects of Minoxodil wear off after a week or 2, why stop using it for an ADDITIONAL 6 weeks if nobody has been able to prove that the difference in the blood thickness is minimal if there even IS a difference? Why suspend Rogaine for that extra time, when you KNOW for a fact that you will lose more hair and you are un-doing your progress, just on a "better safe than story" mentality that we currently don't have any evidence to prove that it even makes a difference?

That's all I'm asking for, really. Is how to know what is ENOUGH, without over-doing it just on the off-chance that it might be more effective. Or even if someone can provide any reliable information on why more than a month is necessary, then I would be sold. The problem is I haven't seen any. That's why I was hoping one of the surgeons could weigh in on this and explain why there is such a big discrepancy between what each surgeon recommends and what they are basing this time-frame on.

Edited by anyong22

I have a procedure scheduled for this Friday and applied Rogaine Foam this evening... am I going to be okay?

I would definitely see what you can do about rescheduling if you are still able to my opinion. Applying Minoxidil 2 days before an HT seems like it could be a big problem.

If you don't mind my asking, who is your surgeon? Did he give any information about when to stop using Rogaine, Aspirin etc?

I seriously doubt you will ever get a consensus on this issue from HT docs. Since I had my surgery with Dr. Hasson I took his advice seriously.

Being a HT veteran now, I will tell you this: if you go to the right doc and get decent # of grafts then what you may lose being off of minox for 2 months will pale in comparison to what you will gain from the HT. The difference will be so drastic that you will be laughing when you look back at how worried you were about losing a few measly hairs from being off the rogaine.

This is only something that you can know after going thru a successful HT. The cosmetically noticable benefits of minox are a complete joke by comparison.

I guess that makes sense, from the better safe than story standpoint.

It's just my only issue is in the past whenever I have stopped using Minoxidil for an extended period of time I always notice a drastic decrease in hair. And even when I resume its use it seems the damage is done, and it never got any better. So all I'm saying is that if there is evidence that shows that the effects of Minoxodil wear off after a week or 2, why stop using it for an ADDITIONAL 6 weeks if nobody has been able to prove that the difference in the blood thickness is minimal if there even IS a difference? Why suspend Rogaine for that extra time, when you KNOW for a fact that you will lose more hair and you are un-doing your progress, just on a "better safe than story" mentality that we currently don't have any evidence to prove that it even makes a difference?

That's all I'm asking for, really. Is how to know what is ENOUGH, without over-doing it just on the off-chance that it might be more effective. Or even if someone can provide any reliable information on why more than a month is necessary, then I would be sold. The problem is I haven't seen any. That's why I was hoping one of the surgeons could weigh in on this and explain why there is such a big discrepancy between what each surgeon recommends and what they are basing this time-frame on.

That's an interesting way to look at it, Thanks for posting that. I guess maybe I am over-thinking it quite a bit and overplaying the importance Rogaine has in the long-run.

I guess the only thing that kind of threw me off was that Dr. Hasson and Wong are the only ones I have heard of on this board that ask for more than 4 weeks. 4 weeks is usually the highest number you see from other docs, with most being much lower. So I was just curious as to why they would be the only ones. But then again, they DO seem like the best, so that could have something to do with it.

So in your opinion, do you feel like if you had discontinued Rogaine 4-5 weeks before your procedure as opposed to 8 weeks or more, it would have had any effect on your outcome?

I would definitely see what you can do about rescheduling if you are still able to my opinion. Applying Minoxidil 2 days before an HT seems like it could be a big problem.

If you don't mind my asking, who is your surgeon? Did he give any information about when to stop using Rogaine, Aspirin etc?

Dr. Bernstein provided me with a long list of things not to do or take prior to the surgery, but there was no mention of Rogaine. He is very thorough and meticulous, so I think he would have listed it if there was an issue, but I will call the office today just to make sure.

That's an interesting way to look at it, Thanks for posting that. I guess maybe I am over-thinking it quite a bit and overplaying the importance Rogaine has in the long-run.

I guess the only thing that kind of threw me off was that Dr. Hasson and Wong are the only ones I have heard of on this board that ask for more than 4 weeks. 4 weeks is usually the highest number you see from other docs, with most being much lower. So I was just curious as to why they would be the only ones. But then again, they DO seem like the best, so that could have something to do with it.

So in your opinion, do you feel like if you had discontinued Rogaine 4-5 weeks before your procedure as opposed to 8 weeks or more, it would have had any effect on your outcome?

I hadn't used it for about 7 years prior to my surgery. When I used it before that it was the Dr. Lee 15% Xandrox version nights and 5% generic day.

I stopped it because there was never any "cosmetically significant" improvement to my crown bald spot or up front. Yes, it grew some peach fuzz in those areas; but what difference does that make to the chicks ?

My philosophy with all of this stuff (HTs included) is that if the difference is not cosmetically significant then what are we paying for ?

Now I've been back on it to speed up the HT growth, but I'm not sure I will stay on it much longer.

If you have bald skin then it will not do anything to help you in those areas. If you are using it to try and hold back the angry river of MPB from breaking the dam, then IMO it is like putting some crazy glue on the rapidly forming cracks -- it might buy you a little time, but the dam is still going to rupture with minox alone.

Fin (or DUT) IMO is WAY more important for keeping those cracks under control !!

Honestly I wont buy the 2 months period, its soooo long and you will face shedding because still you need to wait 2 weeks post Op maybe.. Averagely speaking I think one months is safe enough. I did one month no minox. before surgery and didn't have any bloody scalp after my surgery.

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

I wonder if the no minoxidil only applies to topical and is because of possible irritation it causes? Would this apply to oral also?

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D