Genetic test for baldness gene? Hairdx test.

decisions2011

I recently took this test and I am currently awaiting the result.

Has anyone taken it before?

HairDX Genetic Test for Hair Loss

I took both tests: (1) testing for the hair loss gene (2) testing for responsivity to baldness.

The company that markets the tests says the results are only 70% accurate - that's the figure listed on the consent form. On the website, however, they state a somewhat higher accuracy percentage.

• Moderators

Why bother? What can you possibly learn? If you are losing your hair then you already know the answer. You're losing your hair. If you're not losing any hair, then again, what can the test tell you? Maybe you will lose your hair in the future? That doesn't tell you anything you don't already know. On top of that it's only 70% accurate, so you still don't know if they are right anyway. Complete waste of money.

Simple solution. If you're losing some hair then start on the meds. If you're not losing any then enjoy your life and don't worry about it until you are losing some hair. Then start on the meds. Don't need a test to tell you that.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Interesting................

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

I just read something about how doctors aren't sure which gene carries baldness... I may be mistaken, but that's pretty cool if it works. I think it can be useful BeHappy-- if your family has a history of baldness and it is linked to a specific gene, it could be useful to know if you have it really early on to start taking preventative measures.