How Do You Incorperate Rogaine Into Your Daily Routine? I'm Skeptical.

IronLionZion

I am a norwood II or III, 27 years old, who has been experiencing diffuse balding on the top and a receeding hairline VERY slowly over the last six years. I am considering rogaine foam, as it has now reached a point where it is quite noticeable. A couple of people have told me it's time to shave my head.

However, I don't understand how it is practical for a person to incorperate into their daily life. In the morning the first thing i do is shower and leave - yet I hear you can't apply rogaine to a wet scalp ...... what does this mean? How can people be expected to apply it in the morning? Do they not shower? Do they use a hair dryer, or what?

Secondly, my girlfriend spends alot of time over at my place. If I slather this stuff on my head twice a day is she going to notice a strong smell, or a weird texture to my hair?

Propecia sounds great, btw. But it is not an option for me because I was recently found to have low testosterone levels (borderline Low T) ... and propecia would only further decrease my T levels and mess with my hormones. And there are some reports of serious side effects that are irreversible.

Any advice appreciated.

PS - ILL ATTACH PICTURES IN A COUPLE HOURS WHEN I GET BACK

Edited by IronLionZion

Hi IronLion,

On the rogaine foam question, there is a sweet fragrance that will be noticeable but its not bad. I apply it after towel drying my hair in the morning. From what I understand you don't want your hair to be dripping wet. Most of the time it does leave a residue in my hair like moose or some type of styling foam would. Once it dries you can run your fingers through your hair to break it up a bit but. I think it would still be noticeable. I'm not sure if the foam comes in an unscented version but I know the liquid version does.

5700 FUE in 3 procedures with Dr. Bisanga

View my patient website:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1874

I am a norwood II or III, 27 years old, who has been experiencing diffuse balding on the top and a receeding hairline VERY slowly over the last six years. I am considering rogaine foam, as it has now reached a point where it is quite noticeable. A couple of people have told me it's time to shave my head.

However, I don't understand how it is practical for a person to incorperate into their daily life. In the morning the first thing i do is shower and leave - yet I hear you can't apply rogaine to a wet scalp ...... what does this mean? How can people be expected to apply it in the morning? Do they not shower? Do they use a hair dryer, or what?

Secondly, my girlfriend spends alot of time over at my place. If I slather this stuff on my head twice a day is she going to notice a strong smell, or a weird texture to my hair?

Propecia sounds great, btw. But it is not an option for me because I was recently found to have low testosterone levels (borderline Low T) ... and propecia would only further decrease my T levels and mess with my hormones. And there are some reports of serious side effects that are irreversible.

Any advice appreciated.

PS - ILL ATTACH PICTURES IN A COUPLE HOURS WHEN I GET BACK

I apply Rogaine when I get home from work. I then wash my hair before going to bed.

I only do it once a day, because it's too much of a mess in the morning.

-

1st Transplant: 5,485 grafts with Dr Jerry Wong

2nd Transplant: 3,100 grafts with Dr Jerry Wong

3rd Transplant: 5,035 grafts with Dr Sanusi Umar

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Wong

IronLionZion,

I've recently begun using unscented Rogaine Foam in the mornings. Sometimes I apply it do my towel dried, damp hair and other times I can wait until it's completely dry.

In the evenings, I've been using generic liquid minoxidil to save money. I typically shower and apply it to my towel dried hair about an hour before bed.

njhopefullm

Since the mechanism by which Propecia (finasteride) and Rogaine (minoxidil) work are completely different, neither one of these drugss will retain hair grown by the other.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

On the contrary, Propecia initially RAISES Testosterone a little, then levels go back down to normal. It's at least worth a try if you want to keep your hair :D

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Hi guys - I just started using the rogaine foam (unscented) and it hasn't been a problem at all. You don't have to put that much on, and it dries fairly quickly. It can make your hair look a little stuck together (like most hair products), but if you use a brush after it has dried you can separate the hairs pretty easily.

I haven't had any real residue problems. I think that you need to rub it into your scalp a little to ensure that it soaks in. Maybe that's why some people have residue? Not sure.

It's also relatively inexpensive - I bought a 3 pack from amazon recently (3 mo supply) for $35.

Hope this is helpful.