Well, well, well (pics inside).

Your loss and thinning has stabilized? Is that what you are saying? You are no longer losing any hair? I'm sorry if I misunderstood.

Well, it does look like you have lost most of your density from Nw0-Nw6 and perhaps even some nape thinning. At your age, that definitely points you away from the world of HTs, but intriguingly, you have, as I understand managed to stop the loss now.

Still, with the amount you have lost, even the best scalp FUE and salt 'n pepper color scheme (what I would recommend for a NW4/5 your age) wouldn't save you. And that is assuming the finasteride keeps keepin' on.

I don't want to give you any false hopes, but just for the sake of exhausting all possibilities, i would ask, "How is your bodyhair? Has it been thinned from using propecia?" You've certainly got decent beard hair. If, and I say a big 'if', you kept the fin going and continued to maintain, even improve over the next few years, perhaps you could look into a BHT/beard hair/FUE combination for a 'low-density-kinda-sprinkling of very flat hairs' type transplant to give you some texture to your scalp. You have a good head shape and skin tone for a baldy guy.

Anyway, that's my take on it. Generally, HT is not for you in a conventional sense, but a combination might help. Whatever you do, don't give yourself a strip scar to worry about.

You should definitely hold off, Imo. Stay on the meds. You have enough native hair left and the buzz cut suits you well.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

HighTopFade,

My initial reaction is you should consult, in person, with a reputable hair transplant surgeon; possibly two for a second opinion - coupled with the view that surgery should not be considered an option at this point or possibly for many years to come, if at all. These views are purely based on your age and quality of photo, the latter open to doubt and thus could be misleading.

I wish you well and the courage to make the right (and informed) decision.

Bill

I would hold off a little longer to see how things go, probably at least another 5 years. By then if it is stabilized, then maybe you should go for hair transplant. But if you continue to recede or anything, then wait longer. You can tell the outline and pattern of your hairloss by now. You can get a transplant later and it will work, but you have to just plan it wisely. what procedure you want and how many grafts. You may need more grafts but with money anything is possible. Check out all doctors, their reviews, their pricing, especially coalition ones.

I've seen cases where severely scarred and bald individuals regained their hair and went to norwood 0. But that took 7,000 to over 20,000 grafts, and a lot of dough.

But if you progress to norwood 6-7 then you might be looking at sessions over 5000 grafts and strip procedure may be of benefit to you.

good luck with everything

HighTopFade,

You've already received the best advice above. More than likely, hair transplantation is not an option. Your donor area is quite thin. However, I would not discourage you from obtaining a professional opinion.

I encourage you to contact some of the hair restoration physicians recommended here for their recommendations.

If you choose to do so, please let us know the results.

Good luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website