In search of a more natural looking hairline

When I was in high school, a doctor prescribed me Accutane, which cured my acne, but a year after stopping, I lost massive amounts of hair. From about a Norwood 0 or 1 to something equivalent to a Norwood 3 in less than a year, when I was 17.

About five years ago, I had a hair transplant in California of 1000 when I was 22 years old, after starting Propecia when I was 20. I have had zero hair loss since I started Propecia years ago. About a year ago, I had a second hair transplant of 300 to fill in the area where I felt it was unnaturally thin.

My major concern is this: For young guys like me, how come doctors are so reluctant to fill in the areas the put hair in? I - for one - have massively thick hair everywhere except where they have replaced it, where it is "more than half the level of the original density", which to me looks somewhat obvious.

Another problem is that the hairline looks a bit unnatural, like a Norwood 3 with really curvey vertices.I have noticed that the majority of natural hairlines are somewhat angularly shaped, and more guys than you'd think have a widow's peak, even if it is VERY slight; to the tune of a couple dozen hairs even descending toward the forehead.

OK. So, why are doctors so afraid to give younger guys a hairline that is more age-appropriate? I feel like I am always using hairstyles of men who are 40 years older than me. Aren't doctors cautiously optimistic that by the time I really start going really bald that there will be new treatments available?

I feel like I am too young to play this game so conservatively, I would prefer to look young while I am young, not have a young face with old hair.

Thoughts?

Yav,

I'm unsure what you mean by "doctors sometimes roam these threads." We definitely do have many physicians who participate within our discussion forums, but this in no way means they do so to seek patients or to use any sort of information on our boards for their own self-interests. In fact, all the physician input we receive on these boards is extremely helpful to patients and, in almost all cases, we warmly welcome it.

Furthermore, we definitely encourage all hair loss sufferers to share photographs on our community. As long as you take the appropriate steps to crop the photographs and remove identifying features, you shouldn't have any issues with confidentiality or remaining anonymous. If you'd like help adding photographs to a hair loss website or your social profile, let me know. These additions will really help the community review your case and offer helpful advice.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

The doctors are obligated to try and keep the patient happy over time not just happy for a few years and then unhappy. The concern in cases like yours is that as you age there is a good chance that you will have further hair loss and changes to your face. This can make a hairline that at one time looked great but later becomes not age appropriate. There is also the possibilty of not having enough donor follicles because a combination of a hairline that was made to low initially and significant hair loss later as part of the patients genetic male pattern baldness.

There is also the possibilty of not having enough donor follicles because a combination of a hairline that was made to low initially and significant hair loss later as part of the patients genetic male pattern baldness.

I guess this is my point; what is the reason that we are so pessimistic about options in the future? I know cloning won't be around today or tomorrow, but what about a decade or 15 years?

Edited by YavrumKurt

I know cloning won't be around today or tomorrow, but what about a decade or 15 years?

Since we don't yet know whether hair cloning is even possible (much less know how to do it), banking on its availability within that timeframe is rather problematic.