Dr. Feller

Hair7777777

Hi all,

I am 34 years old and am probably just a "2" on the hairloss scale, with some recession in the front. It bothers me quite a bit and I am thinking of finally making an appointment with Dr. Feller. I am nervous about a HT since I wonder if I am being unrealistic in hoping for very thick results. I wear my hair up and I do not think I will be happy if it ends up "see through." My hair is dark and on the thick side and used to look great.

I am hoping for you insights on a couple questions:

1. Do you think Dr. Feller is the best for a smaller first time procedure (maybe around 1250 grafts). I see a lot of his great results are repairs and I do not see as many blogs from first timers? Is he the best for thick results? Is there someone else I should check with too?

2. Can a hairdresser/semi trained eye tell? Could former HT patients tell?

3. How thick is it? Is it near as thick as before I started balding?

4. Theoretically, if some new stem cell procedure comes out in 5 years that can reawaken the dormant follicles, does this procedure destroy those cells? Or would they grow back up among the transplants for a very thick hairline.

5. Do the hairs existing in the transplant area get destroyed? Is the shockloss permanent?

6. About what % of the hairs transplanted are growing after 1 year?

Thanks all. I am just nervous about regretting it. I am at the point where I can get away with combing to cover it (although I am really unhappy about this) and do not want to go through all this only to have a few scraggly hairs and risk losing more of my existing hairline hairs in the process.

1. The best for doing small proceedures??? That is asking a lot. What is your location? He does 200 graft "lunchtime" sessions....or something like that. Is he the best? I don't know about that....they don't really keep stats like athletes..but he is very good. Other people to look at Rahal, Shapiro (SMG), Lindsey, Konior, Gabel etc...there is a long list of very good surgeons here with results to looks at.

2. If you get a good doc, even a hair dresser will have a really hard time telling. That is assuming you don't receed further and have "islands" of hair on your temple area. This is why getting on finasteride is really important if you want an HT. My personal opinion is tha tif you are not willing to take fin, and you are not a NW5 or 6 already, don't get a transplant.

3. They will do it at about 50 percent the density of your pre-loss hair line...maybe 60 percent. The way that it is placed will add density and is should be nice and look good, but it is not as thick as your original hair.

4. Some would grow back and some wouldn't. Transplant can permenantly damage a follicile.

5. Permenant shockloss CAN occur but with a skilled surgeon the chances are drastically reduced. He or she will transplant between the hairs and be careful not to hair surrounding folliciles. Being on finasteride reduces the chance of shockloss as well.

6. Difficult to answer. Strip is usually 95 percent or greater and FUE is probably a little lower.

I am 32 and have similar hairloss to what you describe...I call myself a NW 2.5. Good luck.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Thank you very much. Why is is just 50-60% of original density? Is it just because they cannot pack the follicles any tighter? I was planning maybe 1200 grafts.

If Dr. Feller or another Doctor or expert comes across this post, I would love to hear your thoughts on my questions 2-6 too. I appreciate it!

Thank you very much. Why is is just 50-60% of original density? Is it just because they cannot pack the follicles any tighter? I was planning maybe 1200 grafts.

Because hair loss is forgiving. You only need 50 percent original density to provide nice coverage.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D