Sexual Partners and fin

snoopism

If having unprotected sex and receiving oral sex while the gf is on birth control is it safe to ejaculate in her? Is it ok if she swallows? From what I understand there could be residual fin in my semen.

If it is not ok, what if she were to become pregnant by going off her birth control? Would the fetus be subject to birth defects?

Snoop,

Dihydrotestosterone (DHT - the hormone blocked by finasteride) and its associated enzymes are important to early fetal development. Because of this, conceiving a child on finasteride is often a source of controversy and confusion. Here is what Coalition hair transplant surgeon Dr. Reed had to say regarding the subject of the amount of finasteride present in semen and it's effect on a (hypothetical) developing fetus:

“Semen levels have been measured in 35 men taking finasteride 1 mg/day for 6 weeks. In 60% (21 of 35) of the samples, finasteride levels were undetectable (<0.2 ng/mL). The mean finasteride level was 0.26 ng/mL and the highest level measured was 1.52 ng/mL. Using the highest semen level measured and assuming 100% absorption from a 5-mL ejaculate per day, human exposure through vaginal absorption would be up to 7.6 ng per day, which is 750 times lower than the exposure from the no-effect dose for developmental abnormalities in Rhesus monkeys and 650-fold less than the dose of finasteride (5 mug) that had no effect on circulating DHT levels in men.

This data is quite reassuring, yet we don’t know what we don’t know…. That’s why I recommend stopping finasteride during pregnancy or using condoms. This recommendation is probably treating the psychological rather than the physiological, but that’s okay."

It sounds like altogether, most health care professionals would chose to be cautious and recommend the above advice. However, when it comes to the duration of the pregnancy, and Dr. Reed's final assessment, he had the following to say:

So in conclusion, in my best medical opinion, I wouldn’t worry about birth defects with finasteride if care is taken to prevent exposure to the female throughout her pregnancy and if care is taken to identify pregnancy in the first several weeks. Of course in today’s world I have to throw in the usual disclaimers that without talking personally to a patient I can’t take into account each person’s potentially unique circumstances and can’t offer specific medical advice to the individual, etc.

Altogether, I would personally recommend discussing this issue with your primary care physician and reading the entire reply from Dr. Reed on the Hair Loss Q & A blog.

Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

The most important thing is to not let her near a crushed tablet.

I have never read that you need to get off of it when having a child...from a doctor anyway. But there are many people that have gotten off in order to get pregnant.

Personally if she is on the pill I wouldn't sweat it. When you take in the stats on all the variables that you are throwing out, I think I would roll the dice.

There is probably a risk in a bunch of things we do every day.

If you are really worried, use an condom and haver her spit....then all your bases are covered. With the same out"come".

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

• 6 months later...

conculsion:

having physical contact using condom is perfectly safe ? and No Risk at all ?

kissing will not create a pobs ?

right?

Best Regards-

ZR

My Regimen

Minox 5% -1ml 2x/day | Fins -1mg /day | Niz 2% - |

Green Tea Shampoo

Planning to start Retina-A

If it makes you feel any better, I have two completely healthy children and I was taking it while my wife got pregnant. Stupid me, I stopped taking it for about 7 years after that though.

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website