Hair Graft falling out.

Hello,

I had some question regarding how I should care for my hair transplant. My doctor sugguested me to start taking showers begining day three I have been taking 4 showers aday. I am worried that I have showered too much and I have washed away my hair grafts. I wanted to know if a hair graft becomes lose does it bleed first or it just washes out without even bleeding?

I have been showering with hot water pooring water on my head with a spong.

thanks

Did you put your head into the shower stream? If you did and you did so on the 3rd day that you very well could have washed away your grafts. That is too early to be showering normally as the pressure from the shower is too strong. You should be pouring water on your head gently with a pitcher for one week then you can continue showering normally. If you are pouring water only then I doubt you are losing any grafts unless you are being aggressive. Your graft wouldn't bleed if it popped out, but once it does there really isn't anything you can do at that point. Showering 4 times a day is a bit excessive and not necessary. You should shower once a day and rinse your stitches once more later in the day before applying more antibiotic cream ( i assume you're using that cream, or at least should be). Many hairs over the first week will fall out but the graft itself, the bulb stays in place so do not worry, but again if you put your head into the pressure of the shower you may have lost grafts.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

no I did not place my head under the stream directly, I have been soaking a sponge in a bowl of water and squeezing the sponge on my head pressing down on the hair grafts as directed by my doctor.

Thehairupthere,

Is that really true that a graft could fall out on day 3 without any signs of bleeding? That is definitely news to me....

If you place your head in the shower where the pressure of the water hits your head, than you can certainly lose grafts if it's before the proper time to do so. You should not do this until one week has passed but now I see that this patient only used the sponge which is fine. If you lose a graft on the first day than you may experience oozing or bleeding but on day 3 I wouldn't expect it to, it could easily be lost and not noticed by any bleeding at that point. Even if it does bleed you would have no chance of saving it as you can not place it back in at that point.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I'm not sure that you should be touching the grafted area with a sponge at this point. Some doctors are more cautious than others on this. Some (like Dr Rahal) want their patients to apply nothing but a gentle flow of soapy water to the area and to drip on the Vitamin E. No touching at all. Others instruct patients to try and remove the scabbing. As the scabs don't need to be removed and there is the potential for making a mistake while performing a routine where direct contact is made, it could be best to think 'better safe than sorry'.

Four washes per day is excessive by any standards though.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

my surgery was the FIT "Follicular Isolation Technique” my doctor recommened taking 4 showers aday without going under the stream directly but using a sponge and pressing down on the hair grafts. I though myself taking 4 showers a day is too much but I followed her directions. basicly she wanted to keep the hair grafts moist for them to heel better.

there is a spot in front of my head I think I may have lost few grafts on the third day i noticed a small opening in the grafts I really hope there is no damage,

I am excited and really worried to see my new hair currently I am in day 11 pass my surgery and my scabs and hair are shedding. I am not sure if I should wash off my scab or just leave them to fall off on there own.

Are you applying anything like Vitamin E oil? This will keep the grafts moist much longer than a wash will. But you're actually at the point where the grafts will be secure so it's less of an issue. FYI Dr Rahal instructs patients to apply Vitamin E oil for two weeks post op and not to touch the area at all for the same length of time.

I will start applying vitamin E to the scabs.

Another question, I am going on a ski trip in about two weeks from now that would be 23 days pass my surgery. If I wear a hat or cold air hit my head would that damage my transplant?

It will be fine to wear a hat by that time. Cold air does constrict the blood vessels and could potentially reduce blood flow to the grafts, but they will be past their most delicate stage. You should probably keep the hat on as much as possible just to be safe. This is me being extra cautous. I don't think you'll have a problem with the cold.

reen3,

I'm with Matt on this. Your grafts are more than likely going to be perfectly fine by that time by why not err on the side of caution and keep your noggin as warm as possible?

All the best,

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website