Scar care

Hello all

After my second HT I noticed my donor scar was getting a little wide. This was probably due to my physiology, lack of care and original scar placement. My first HT placed my scar alittle low I believe. Either way I just had Dr. Lindsey in VA do a scar revision. My question to all you fine folks are some tips on how to keep this one from widening as well. My procedure was done 4 days ago and of course I still have the sutures.

Thanks

You should clean your scar twice a day, removing any scabs that may have formed on it, while also putting bactroban or any other antibacterial cream twice a day until the stitches are removed. You should avoid exercise or any other strenuous activity until the stitches are removed. Since your procedure was only 4 days ago it will look wider because it has not healed properly, and because of some shocking of hair located around the incision but that is normal and it should fill in and the scar will look very thin by 5-6 months.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Thehairupthere, I noticed I have a bunch of hair like one inch wide totally stuck perpendicular across the scar. Should I gently try to pull it or just leave it alone?

Also whats the best sleeping position?. I have serious concerns about sleeping on my back. On the side I feel the stitches poking into my skin.

Edited by okay2land

Scar wasn't a big concern of mine; I don't keep my hair super short and I'm sure I'll need a future surgery, so this scar will probably come and go. That's not to say I was negligent but I think I could have done a little better. That being said, I think once a Dr. has his proven technique, the rest depends on the patients physiology and overdoing it too soon.

This Saturday I had some pictures taken to see how my scar is healing and I have to say I'm impressed/lucky. Most of the pink is gone, there's hair growing all throughout, and aside from a couple small spots, its super super thin. I only used vitamin C oil on the donor site once so more than anything I think its how well the patient heals.

Hi Okay2land,

Most importantly.....please follow your physicians postop instructions. Most clinics have similar postoperative routines.....with some minor differences. Having had a scar revision procedure, if possible, it would be a good idea to return to Dr Lindsey's office to have the sutures removed - he may prefer to examine the incision personally.

Be extra careful during strenuous activities - lifting weights/sit ups etc.(check to see when they say it is ok to resume these activities). We ask our patients to not stretch or strain their neck or scalp until 3 months postop.

I hope this helps.

Louise

Louise

Lead Hair Transplant Technician for Dr. Cam Simmons at the Seager Medical Group

Dr. Cam Simmons is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Thanks for the advice louise,

I know I made some really really bad judgement calls in the past and focused 100% on the implants and pratically none on the donor area. That proved to be a gigantic, costly, grave error (not even getting into it). My hair grafts looks great ( if i can get my blog link to work ) but my scar? You name a wrong a thing, I probably did it. For this last revision I'm doing everything differently and taking ALL precautions in care of my the incision area for both health and aesthetics reasons.

wish me luck.

You are in good hands.

Dr. Lindsey has posted many photos of scar revisions on the site. I hope you keep us updated with your progress. Good Luck!

Louise

Lead Hair Transplant Technician for Dr. Cam Simmons at the Seager Medical Group

Dr. Cam Simmons is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians