Hair Loss - A Disease of Civilization?

Fante

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My understanding, through reading and talking to nutritionists etc, is that we are all born with genetic predispositions to certain things, it may be disease, or it may be certain strengths. However, environmental conditions such as diet and lifestyle will affect certain hormones which in turn affects dna expression.

For instance - you may be born with the potential to be a great athlete but if you're brought up only eating junk food and never exposed to exercise it's unlikely you'll fulfill that potential. You may be (as in my family) have the potential to develop lung cancer, but if you choose not to smoke it's less likely that you will develop it. (Only the smokers seem to be affected by lung cancer in my family).

My understanding, and I know this is contentious, is that MPB is an auto-immune disease as the body is attacking and destroying healthy cells. I would, and do, question what it is that I am doing in my lifestyle that causes this situation.

I also think looking after your health is one of the most important things you can work at and it amazes me how so many people never think about what they put into their bodies through either food, impure tap water, toiletries, pharmaceuticals and polluted air.

i think your wrong....your either going to lose it or not.....ive seen really overweight people with a full head of hair....they eat like crap....if you were right....they would all be bald.....its genes buddy

You aren't listening.."Genetically predispose". Yes they can eat all that crap (lucky them)and not lose any hair.

"no reason whatsoever" isn't quite what I'd attribute MPB to

I don't think I'm effectively demonstrating my points, here

fante, you're right. I'm moving to Korea.

I don't think you are demonstrating them right :confused:

Of course we can't prove it as fact. But the evidence that diet effects your hair is ample. It can't be ignored.

If you moved to Korea no doubt the overall health of your hair would improve..Of course damage might already be done so who knows.

My understanding, through reading and talking to nutritionists etc, is that we are all born with genetic predispositions to certain things, it may be disease, or it may be certain strengths. However, environmental conditions such as diet and lifestyle will affect certain hormones which in turn affects dna expression.

For instance - you may be born with the potential to be a great athlete but if you're brought up only eating junk food and never exposed to exercise it's unlikely you'll fulfill that potential. You may be (as in my family) have the potential to develop lung cancer, but if you choose not to smoke it's less likely that you will develop it. (Only the smokers seem to be affected by lung cancer in my family).

My understanding, and I know this is contentious, is that MPB is an auto-immune disease as the body is attacking and destroying healthy cells. I would, and do, question what it is that I am doing in my lifestyle that causes this situation.

I also think looking after your health is one of the most important things you can work at and it amazes me how so many people never think about what they put into their bodies through either food, impure tap water, toiletries, pharmaceuticals and polluted air.

You hit the nail on the head. And I think a lot of people miss the point when its said AGA is genetic. AGA is influenced by genetic predispositions(multiple factors). But it seems some are inclined to believe there's one single gene that says you're going bald for no reason.

Don't overestimate what you put in your body. It effects you in every way.. How food effects your hair can happen in in many ways.

Example. Certain foods can cause inflammation of the scalp. If you don't know by now inflammation is a cause of MPB. Again simply by eating bad foods you increase inflammation. Notably foods that cause high insulin spikes are mostly responsible, since it causes a inflammatory response.

Then you also have other factors that effect hair. Oxidative stress. Free radicals. Also, a lot of bad foods can naturally raise DHT or release bad estrogen.

Since MPB has been in evidence for thousands of years, long before the advent of processed foods, man-made chemicals, air/water/soil pollution, etc., the lifestyle changes you'd have to make to avoid it would likely involve using a time machine and living in a cave.

Since MPB has been in evidence for thousands of years, long before the advent of processed foods, man-made chemicals, air/water/soil pollution, etc., the lifestyle changes you'd have to make to avoid it would likely involve using a time machine and living in a cave.

Quite a stretch..What genetic evidence do you have that MPB has been around for "thousands of years"?. Did you build a time machine on top of that and take pictures? Why is MPB more prevalent in civilizations that have adopted a more westernized diet. Lastly, MPB is common in older men. However it is not in younger men..Of course over the last century this trend has dramatically change. Younger people are experience MPB at a increasing rate than ever before.. You seem to totally ignore this fact.

Edited by Swimmy

I'll post this for anyone who wants to read it.

2009 was a watershed year for hair loss information. I’ve stopped my hair loss several years ago, and before that time had periods of success and partial delay. However in the last few years I have experienced some nice forward progress.

Working in the field of orthomolecular medicine, an unfamiliar term to many, is far from a “new age” methodology, and what I’ve learned over the years is the good fortune to understand the root cause of hair loss.

Premature senescence is caused from hypothyroid. Unfortunately, standard thyroid testing is far from accurate, and its influence in MPB is quite huge. I think it’s everything. Low thyroid not only results over 90% of heart disease and metabolic syndrome, it is found in 100% of all cancer cases.

Low thyroid always indicates a presence of inflammation, and various forms of hormone resistance is a result, which is indicative of premature aging.

Regardless of gluten sensitivity tests, its impact is far greater than previously thought. Lower circulating glutathione levels is a classical sign of MPB, and is promulgated by wheat/gluten consumption. However, this is only the tip of the iceberg, as there are so many other environmental and dietary influences. The good news is that they can be markedly reduced, so we do not have to live in a “bubble.”

According to one of the most respected medical journals, MPB is associated with insulin resistance:

Lancet. 2000 Sep 30;356(9236):1165-6.

I’ve never once tried finasteride or minoxidil, yet I have been watchful of my hair since the age of 19. I am near pushing 41 now, and my hair looks a lot better than it did ten years ago. Thought I’d let everyone know that fighting MPB is worth fighting against, because in the end, if it’s done naturally, it can engender health benefits.

So in a strange twist of fate, hair loss is sort of a blessing.

Some of us have a greater disadvantage than others in this fight. For example, if your mother had a mouth full of mercury, chances are that you absorbed 30% of this in utero. When other metals such as Lead (Pb) begin to accumulate in tissues, it magnifies the effects. Whether early exposure is a factor in MPB remains unknown, but at any rate, getting a root canal and/or mercury or other composite fillings is probably going to make this battle more challenging.

———————————————————————————————————

Blaming genetics is a fallacy, a poor excuse for our “Idiocracy” like society (see the movie!)

Collectively, we’ve been spoon-fed garbage from the day we were old enough to understand language and will continue to be until the day we die.

The media is one of the worst propagandists of this information. Blind leading the blind.

So here is my proof, which is taken from the greatest book on nutrition ever written, and something most academicians from news media know nothing about.

fig52.jpg[/img]

FIG. 52. The Aborigines of Australia are recognized to be the oldest living race of mankind. Note the prominent eyebrows and deep set eyes. The man at the upper right is holding his spears and wamara, or spear thrower. They are very fond of decorations on their bodies. Little baldness was seen even in the very old.

Source: Nutrition and Physical Degeneration

What your father’s, father’s, father’s ate and mother’s mother’s mother can influence your predilection towards disease, however this can be epigenetically modified.

More proof:

Based on my research, hair loss is caused by thyroid suppression, which is promulgated by a multitude of influences. Of societies which are not generally subject to these sort of influences (quite rare in modern civilization), thyroid problems are very rare, however a psychosomatic influence can still trigger alopecia, as it has a profound influence on the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis.

If one reviews the research, they will find that nutrition, diet, and environment do make or break hair growth. Genes can be turned off (silenced), and most do not realize that genes are turned on due to environmental factors.

What sort of environmental factors? Here’s a short list, since there are far too many to list.

Insufficient vitamin D (dermatologists have had people running scared from the sun). Those Greenland people were undoubtedly deficient in vitamin D.

Percolate (rocket fuel), has a 30 times, greater affinity to the thyroid than iodine.

Pesticides & herbicides, have thyroid suppressive xenoestrogen molecules.

Fortification of bromide in drugs, and foods.

Fluoridation of the water supplies and toothpastes.

Consumption of wheat/gluten products

Consumption of lectins from grains & legumes.

Mercury and other composite fillings, courtesy of the dentist. In mice, it takes only 4 minutes

to suppress the thyroid upon the placement of mercury into the mouth.

Heavy metals, such as Lead (Pb), aluminum, cadmium, etc.

Insufficiency of iodine, selenium in food and in soils due to industrialization of food.

High consumption of Omega-6 fatty acids, relative to Omega-3, due to animals eating the wrong diet, such as corn and grains.

MSG (monosodium glutamate) in foods

antibiotics (allows opportunistic yeast overgrowth, controlling the hypothalamus, etc.

Bisphenol-A from plastic containers, which are found in dental sealants, the linings of cans, plastic wrapping around processed foods, and plastic bottles which are used to store water in office 5-gallon jugs.

Teeth and bone implants, are a constant source of inflammation.

Hydrogenated oils, fried foods, it goes on and on.

When the mitochondria is corrected due to these constant inflammatory insults, and the thyroid is replenished with sufficient iodine, the endogenous antioxidant system restored, there is a normalization of oxidative, reductive systems and hence, no more inflammation to hair follicles.

Hair loss is not a genetic problem, it is an environmental and dietary problem.

I can't believe how obstinately illogical you are, man. Honestly. But go on your merry way thinking we're stupid or brainwashed. This is one of those pseudo-debates that will never go anywhere. I could really get into this, but you're not "bringing" it in a way that is worth the effort.

btw, Caesar wore a laurel wreath to conceal his hair loss at public events. That was about 2060 years ago.

Ancient Egyptians rubbed various oils and animal fats on their heads to make hair grow. I can't say when they began doing that stuff, but i doubt insidious nile toxins suddenly made them all go bald late in their history. The Great Pyramids of Giza, btw, were built almost 5000 yrs ago.

Also, we share genes with lesser primates that cause them AGA as well. Balding macaque. I say this, of course, because it's telling about pre-history.

Again, I really don't want to be offensive. Everyone has the right to an opinion. Sometimes I'm just shocked at the way people make hasty conclusions and dig up absurd rhetoric to "prove" them. I think it's very telling about the state of politics in the US these days.

Rant over.

“You may say I’m a dreamer, but I’m not...”

- John Lennon

^^i would have to agree...hundreds of years ago, emperors/rulers wore wigs to conceal imperfections much like people do now with toupees. hairloss has been around for a long time. which makes people wonder why it hasnt been solved.

I recognize there has been baldness as long as there has been civilization. What I do NOT recognize is that men as young as 14 have been going bald for 10,000 years.

Like it or not, genetics are influenced by diet and environment. Any geneticist will tell you this. We are what we put into our bodies.

if I had used that excerpt as the premise of any refutation, it would actually have been a red herring.

impugning that excerpt as one of my premises/conclusions is a straw man

Yes you are correct. Its hard to remember the dozens of variations of argument fallacies.

But you get my point. I don't need to bring "toxins" into the discussion.

I get your point.

I meant nothing by "toxins" except a metaphor for ethereal, intangible, almost mythical nuisances to our hair follicles.

And my point with that sentence was just to say that there isn't much reason to believe Egyptians hadn't been fighting hair loss ever since the beginning of their civilization 5000 years ago (as opposed to, say, after the second Intermediate Period when Greek cultural influences became ubiquitous). I used the word toxins actually to point out there were no toxins. To mean that seriously would be daft (not that toxic substances haven't been around since the beginning).

And below is the syllogism I was proffering

A: Man has suffered from MPB for millennia

B: The ills of modern civilization did not exist back then

C: MPB should not be attributed to modern civilization

Last, as I said before, I do agree there may be a connection between our modern environment/lifestyle and the early/severe onset of MPB, as with puberty. Still, I hold that any such connections would be profoundly subordinate to the root cause of MPB and, regardless, are at this point well beyond the reach of our current understanding of the hair cycle (and esp. that of some web site publisher peddling pseudo-scientific speculation).

And, as ever, I say these things with respect and with the intention to dissent like a gentleman. Please pardon my tone if it has offended you, but I must say what I think.

Taken

“You may say I’m a dreamer, but I’m not...”

- John Lennon

I get your point.

I meant nothing by "toxins" except a metaphor for ethereal, intangible, almost mythical nuisances to our hair follicles.

And my point with that sentence was just to say that there isn't much reason to believe Egyptians hadn't been fighting hair loss ever since the beginning of their civilization 5000 years ago (as opposed to, say, after the second Intermediate Period when Greek cultural influences became ubiquitous). I used the word toxins actually to point out there were no toxins. To mean that seriously would be daft (not that toxic substances haven't been around since the beginning).

And below is the syllogism I was proffering

A: Man has suffered from MPB for millennia

B: The ills of modern civilization did not exist back then

C: MPB should not be attributed to modern civilization

Last, as I said before, I do agree there may be a connection between our modern environment/lifestyle and the early/severe onset of MPB, as with puberty. Still, I hold that any such connections would be profoundly subordinate to the root cause of MPB and, regardless, are at this point well beyond the reach of our current understanding of the hair cycle (and esp. that of some web site publisher peddling pseudo-scientific speculation).

And, as ever, I say these things with respect and with the intention to dissent like a gentleman. Please pardon my tone if it has offended you, but I must say what I think.

Taken

That's fine. But we cant use Egypt as point of reference. I don't believe we have enough infomation to gauge what kind of hair loss or what level of rarity it was. For all we know it could have easily been mal nutrition.

Caesar was bald but he was well into his 50's by then. The point of all this is yes MPB has existed for a long time. However, this occurs in predisposed people who turn on the gene.There's a lot of people out there who have the genes for MPB but have a full heads of hair.Life stlye is the reason for these genes being expressed. I don't believe it happens for no reason and is inevitable.

The focal point is younger people are experiencing MPB at a younger age than ever before. MPB was something that use to only occur in older men. I believe the foods we eat today have caused advanced aging, particularly in the scalps of younger men..Which is why young men are experiencing MPB. We are now suffering from symptoms that only older men should experience..BPH.Enlarged prostate..Cardiovascular disease...ETC...A common trend on all MPBers is insulin resistance

Lancet. 2000 Sep 30;356(9236):1165-6.

Early androgenetic alopecia as a marker of insulin resistance.

Matilainen V, Koskela P, Kein?nen-Kiukaanniemi S.

Comment in:

Abstract

The previously proven association between androgenetic, alopecia and serious cardiovascular events raises a question of the common pathogenetic mechanism of these disorders. Our practice-based case-control study in men aged 19-50 years showed a strikingly increased risk of hyperinsulinaemia and insulin-resistance-associated disorders such as obesity, hypertension, and dyslipidemia in men with early onset of alopecia (<35), compared with age-matched controls. This finding supports the hypothesis that early androgenetic alopecia could be a clinical marker of insulin resistance.

I'll get into more later. Heading to work

I think the way to think about this is from an bioevolutionary perspective. I'm a PhD student in Boston and came across something in my research that may explain hair loss. A lot of you won't be surprised that I'm studying insulin signaling.

Conceptually, you can think of insulin as a signal to the body that there's a lot of food around. The way this happens is that sensitivity to insulin is dampened with more insulin (just like alcohol, smells, etc., anything eally) So, the more insulin you have around, the less sensitive to it you are. This dampened sensitivity is a signal to the body that there's a lot of food around. Since there is a lot of food around, the body is cued to develop, age, etc. Why wait around if there are plenty of resources? They may run out, so the body takes advantage of the plethora of resources around. This probably explains why insulin resistance and early puberty are linked and becoming more and more common in the developed world. It could explain why hair loss is popping up earlier and earlier, because we're aging faster and faster. This also may explain why "low calorie" diets lead to extended lifespans in every virtually every organism on earth, from yeast to humans. If there aren't a lot of resources around, the body will be patient and wait it out until there are resources. This also may explain depression (and its correlation to insulin resistance). If you're eating so much sugar/carbs that your body is no longer responding to insulin, your body thinks you're starving. We are evolutionarily programmed to be unhappy if there's no food around so that we don't waste energy on useless things. So, if you're brain thinks you're starving, you'll be depressed.

The immune system comes in too. If the immune system is chronically active (gluten, lectins, etc.), it can cause insulin resistance. The immune system tells the body to shut down and let it get all the crap out: hence, no insulin allowed. Most of our bodies still find gluten/lectins/etc. to be foreign particles that must be destroyed. The immune system is supposed to function in a quick, efficient manner. But, if the gut is chronically irritated, which is a disaster for the body in an evolutionary sense, then the immune system will be chronically activated. It will be busy fighting off gluten etc. instead of actually fighting off infections, hence you may get sick more frequently. Molecular mimicry of foreign peptides may elicit an autoimmune response.

I'd give more info about the molecular signaling of insulin, but I don't want to give too much away because I'll hopefully be publishing on it.

So, in sum, don't eat grains, legumes, processed foods, and foods with a lot of carbohydrates. If something makes you feel like crap, don't eat it. Common sense, really. Shop on the periphery of your supermarket, or better yet, at the local farm.

You might say we live longer today. That's because the effects of clean water, antibiotics, etc. probably outweigh the accelerated aging caused by excess carbs/sugar/inflammation. But, that doesn't mean that we're maximizing our genetic potential.

I think the way to think about this is from an bioevolutionary perspective. I'm a PhD student in Boston and came across something in my research that may explain hair loss. A lot of you won't be surprised that I'm studying insulin signaling.

Conceptually, you can think of insulin as a signal to the body that there's a lot of food around. The way this happens is that sensitivity to insulin is dampened with more insulin (just like alcohol, smells, etc., anything eally) So, the more insulin you have around, the less sensitive to it you are. This dampened sensitivity is a signal to the body that there's a lot of food around. Since there is a lot of food around, the body is cued to develop, age, etc. Why wait around if there are plenty of resources? They may run out, so the body takes advantage of the plethora of resources around. This probably explains why insulin resistance and early puberty are linked and becoming more and more common in the developed world. It could explain why hair loss is popping up earlier and earlier, because we're aging faster and faster. This also may explain why "low calorie" diets lead to extended lifespans in every virtually every organism on earth, from yeast to humans. If there aren't a lot of resources around, the body will be patient and wait it out until there are resources. This also may explain depression (and its correlation to insulin resistance). If you're eating so much sugar/carbs that your body is no longer responding to insulin, your body thinks you're starving. We are evolutionarily programmed to be unhappy if there's no food around so that we don't waste energy on useless things. So, if you're brain thinks you're starving, you'll be depressed.

The immune system comes in too. If the immune system is chronically active (gluten, lectins, etc.), it can cause insulin resistance. The immune system tells the body to shut down and let it get all the crap out: hence, no insulin allowed. Most of our bodies still find gluten/lectins/etc. to be foreign particles that must be destroyed. The immune system is supposed to function in a quick, efficient manner. But, if the gut is chronically irritated, which is a disaster for the body in an evolutionary sense, then the immune system will be chronically activated. It will be busy fighting off gluten etc. instead of actually fighting off infections, hence you may get sick more frequently. Molecular mimicry of foreign peptides may elicit an autoimmune response.

I'd give more info about the molecular signaling of insulin, but I don't want to give too much away because I'll hopefully be publishing on it.

So, in sum, don't eat grains, legumes, processed foods, and foods with a lot of carbohydrates. If something makes you feel like crap, don't eat it. Common sense, really. Shop on the periphery of your supermarket, or better yet, at the local farm.

You might say we live longer today. That's because the effects of clean water, antibiotics, etc. probably outweigh the accelerated aging caused by excess carbs/sugar/inflammation. But, that doesn't mean that we're maximizing our genetic potential.

Someone agrees with me.:eek:

For all of you guys talking about hair loss throughout history, here's my take:

Going back 2060 years isn't enough. You have to go back to pre-agriculture. Agriculture, in the form of grains, (both eaten directly by humans and eaten by animals that were then eaten by humans), introduced an extremely different set of nutrients (and anti-nutrients) into the human body. Never before had man been able to consume that amount of carbohydrates. Carbohydrates spike levels of insulin, and in the form of grains, spike it in such a way that no human prior to then had ever experienced. The was a dramatic change for the human species. Ask any anthropologist, scientist, etc., anyone alive today. The agricultural revolution was a big deal in human history, but for far more and important reasons than, I think, anyone really understands. To add to all of this, agricultural products have unrecognized particles that can irritate the gut, and evoke an immune response (like gluten).

Insulin was normally regulated simply by the body and the environment. If there was food around, you'd have some insulin (a relatively tiny bit compared to post-agricultural/today). (If there wasn't food around, you'd have less insulin, but still some, because your body can make small amounts of it in times of famine.) That insulin would signal to the body that there's food, by becoming less sensitive to it (this is what I think I figured out, and what I'll be studying. This is key). But now, with this extreme amount of carbohydrates, insulin levels are through the roof! So the body is actually getting no insulin (insulin resistance). It thinks you're starving. But, at the same time, it thinks there's tons of food around. It's complicated, but think of it with this analogy:

A bouncer at a bar is told by the bartender that there's too many people in the bar: don't let anyone in. Then, a bunch of people leave, but the communication between the bouncer and bartender is cut off. Now there's nobody in the bar (no insulin/sugar in the cells), but the bouncer thinks it's overcrowded. The line grows, but he doesn't let anyone in. Likewise, your cells have stopped letting insulin/sugar in because the communication breaks down. Without insulin, the cells stop doing whatever they're supposed to do (like grow hair, for example), and sometimes they die (like in Alzheimer's, often called Type 3 diabetes, since it's so common in Type 2 diabetics. The cells don't let insulin in because insulin downregulates its own signaling (ironic and complicated, I know).

So yes, people have probably been going bald since people existed. But, it probably happened much later in life, if they happened to live long enough, which they probably didn't before the agricultural revolution. So, as food has evolved and become more and more agriculturally based, you'll see hair loss more and more frequently and earlier. And, the reason why you've seen it jump so much in the past 50 years is that food has undergone another dramatic change. Bread is not slow-rise anymore. Everything is more and more processed, leading to higher levels of carbs, gluten, and more chemicals that get the immune system going. Sugar, the ultimate carb, is now added to EVERYTHING (seriously, check the ingredients on ketchup, dried fruit, mustard, etc.). I certainly don't eat the same diet that my grandfather, or even father, ate. So they may have the same predisposition to be bald that I do, but it didn't matter because because they ate a more healthy diet. If they went bald at 45, maybe I'll go bald at 30. Like some of you guys are saying, some people can eat this crap and have a full head of hair. Some people can smoke a pack a day and never get lung cancer. But no one would argue that smoking doesn't cause lung cancer.

Even fruit can be seen in this light. Bananas travel thousands of miles before they're consumed. People simply didn't eat them for much of our evolution because they weren't available. Maybe some did, but most weren't able to. On top of that, most of the fruit today is selectively bred, hence only the sweetest, most sugary (highest glycemic) fruit is chosen, because that's what people want and will pay for.

As time goes on, this will all get worse and worse unless people finally start picking up on it. When science catches up to people like me and Swimmy, maybe the government and others will finally understand what a disaster this processed food has been. We're evolving right out of it, though. Anyone woman you know who couldn't have kids because of an estrogen-related disorder - food. Estrogen gets messed up just like testosterone in men. Any woman who got breast cancer and died before having kids - All weeded out of the gene pool. A lot of these diseases occur after reproductive age, like Alzheimer's, so we may never evolve out of that, tho I think we will because they're all related. But it will take thousands of years. I for one, don't want my genes to get weeded out. More importantly, I don't want to become afflicted with disease. I'm going to eat what my body was designed to handle: grass-fed beef, wild caught fish, leafy greens, etc.. And based on my thinning hair (age 25) before eating Paleo, my body was not supposed to have that other garbage. Next time you're getting your hair cut, ask your barber. They all know that baldness is popping up earlier and earlier. It's not a coincidence that our food is also becoming more and more processed, on top of being wrong since agriculture. We may have evolved somewhat to agriculture because it was such a drastic change, despite the relatively short time since (10,000 years). But we're definitely not supposed to eat that way.

So keep believing that whole wheat is healthy if you want. I'm just some guy on the internet. But I promise you that this will all be out in a few years.

Thoughts/Arguments?

No argument from me.

On the subject of fruit. Its definitely overrated. The only people who do well on it are those with ancestral diets that contained regular intake of fruit.

If your ancestors are from lets say places like Russia and German you should be eating very little of it

Heck look at old movies of people in the 40's, 50's, 60's... Not that many people were going bald under the age of 30... today I see a significant percentge of people under 30 suffering from mpb to some degree

Friend, I hate to break it to you but movie stars wear hair pieces.

Marlon Brando balded early, you can see it happening in "On the Waterfront", James Dean was 24 at death and that hairline was steadily creeping back, John Wayne wore a toupee since forever, as did Humphrey Bogart, Jimmy Stewart and Charlton Heston.

When Fred Astaire auditioned in the 1920s to leave his Vaudville act and come perform in film the talent scout wrote simply on his sheet about the 21 year old : "Can't act, can't sing, balding, awkward looking, can dance a little"

Astaire would adopt a toupe for film roles but chose not to wear one in private.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

I recognize there has been baldness as long as there has been civilization. What I do NOT recognize is that men as young as 14 have been going bald for 10,000 years.

Like it or not, genetics are influenced by diet and environment. Any geneticist will tell you this. We are what we put into our bodies.

14 was middle age 10,000 years ago, so i'd say the diet has gotten better. if there wer less people that were bald back then it's because you were old by 30.

Lest we forget as recent as 1900 the average American could expect to live to be 45 at most, that's right, at the dawn of the 20th Century 45 years was the top life expectancy.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016