Help Unsatisfied with surgery results

HairSatr

I had my surgery done 5/29/10. I had 1300 grafts done by strip methond. Dr. ? did my surgery. I am just over 7 months now and am extremely upset with the results. I feel like my hair was not packed together tightly. I think they could have put alot more grafts in to fill the area lacking hair.My temples werent too bad to begin with. My temples were my main concern. They now seem almost worse than before. When i look at the areas that were transplanted they seem so empty. Why would they not have put more grafts in? Was i expecing to much? What do you thinkk?

Pictures are in order

Home Pre op

Office pre op with gel for pictures

Immediate post opp

7 months post opp(With longer hair so dont be fooled)

178.jpg.634e4c9201bf60f704ee83e0cd9bd83d.jpg

192.jpg.22363b2a65b3c75fb25c75c2c4c6684c.jpg

194.jpg.fb8906003e936b4acd133072e370b63a.jpg

200.jpg.7a28f48c0e515996788e89320a16e31f.jpg

5b32cc0ce7910_Sbrocco_John2.jpg.e1a8727cccb136774754eab21d987fed.jpg

5b32cc0d295b9_Sbrocco_John2_(1).jpg.baa23dc8361c65e152218d62d5cf6205.jpg

5b32cc0d4a4d0_Sbrocco_John2_(2).jpg.e2cc8f9cb66d54869bd0b4acebd49fad.jpg

5b32cc0d65c19_Sbrocco_John2_(3).jpg.b550e567692d1fef1c38293812fc8733.jpg

5b32cc0d7735b_Sbrocco_John3_(1).jpg.2e59be5cfcc21adc88151400ee456c2b.jpg

5b32cc0db0e21_Sbrocco_John3_(2).jpg.b65b39af0e6ec54052013685fec37574.jpg

5b32cc0e32dd1_Sbrocco_John3_(5).jpg.f38046b9d396c70f32ff882dcdb68073.jpg

013.jpg.d617755d72f5ce358c6c9f482a712117.jpg

012.jpg.3adef32f587a5c214bc405fa393bcd53.jpg

011.jpg.df36334c4301194a7f9df56a0ee9578d.jpg

010.jpg.61db253eec6be6d1165a5ce4529edcbd.jpg

009.jpg.16e1b70d351d6f0484244f9d904a7f5c.jpg

008.jpg.05e4c7ca7e680c8e100ae0c5f06534f2.jpg

007.jpg.321701c16bdc56be0e7126319e0199c7.jpg

006.jpg.4e6eb4fd56c744f9efc79ed3bbeb356b.jpg

005.jpg.48869d33001ebcead3d1b6457f0c2864.jpg

Edited by HairSatr

HairSatr,

I'm sorry to hear you're disappointed with the results. Hair transplant surgery is a big commitment, and it's always disheartening to hear a patient who 'took the plunge' and didn't get the results they were looking for. Luckily, you've come to the right place, and I think you'll find our discussion forums a very welcoming and helpful place for someone in your situation.

Having said that, I do have a few comments/suggestions that I hope help:

First, there are various reasons why a hair transplant surgeon may not have packed the grafts as densely as you would have liked - saving grafts for a later date, trying to reduce scarring by taking a smaller strip, issues with scalp laxity, issues with scalp blood supply, etc. Regardless, if you aren't happy with the results, you can definitely look into a second procedure with one of our recommended hair transplant surgeons and ensure that you cover all these concerns and potential pitfalls before booking a surgical date.

Also, because the post-operative work does look pretty refined and neat, I think you may have, unfortunately, experienced progressive hair loss while waiting for your results to mature, and this created a sparse appearance when the new hair grew in. Are you currently utilizing preventive therapies like finasteride/Propecia and/or minoxidil/Rogaine? If not, I highly recommend researching these products right away; they will really help slow/stabilize progressive loss and (potentially) add some density to the area.

Finally, keep in mind that at 7 months, you still have quite a ways to still mature. Although you can definitely look into medications now, I wouldn't declare your surgery a disappointment until you've reached the full maturation mark of 12 months. I hope this was helpful! Please, let me know if there is anything else I can do to help and feel free to ask any additional questions. Good luck.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Thanks for the reply! Ive been taking propecia(Generic from India) for about 11 month now. I thought that i might have lost some hair while the new hair was growing in. Possibly the hair thaat shocked out didnt grow back? I still feel they could have put hair alot closer and more dense in the hairline since there wasnt any there to begin with. He moved it down about a half inch. What do you think? Iam going to cut m ahir back to the way it was pre op and show you pictures. Thanks for any help.

I am at 8 months with an fue surgery and I'm still feeling tiny hairs just coming in. You really have to give your ht a full 12 months before getting upset with the results. There are many threads on this forum that discuss the waiting game with HTs, and I suggest you read them, it will make you feel better. There is one in particular that Spex posted showing the huge difference between 8 months and 16 months. Blake, perhaps you guys can make that thread a sticky? This topic comes up all too often, and understandably so...

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

It's tough to tell, but judging by the scabs they probably could have packed it a bit more. You look like you have thick hair though which will help a lot when the hairs mature. You really must wait the full 12 months. The bright side is you could always get more work done if need be.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

I was hoping i wouldnt have to get a second procedure so soon. I told them pack as much as possible i dont car if my hair shocks out. I just wanted to avoid going again for awhile. I was reading about Dr. Feller and saw he does micro sessions pack alot of grafts in one spot. Are you farmiliar with this? Or is it the same as all Dr. do?

I am at 8 months with an fue surgery and I'm still feeling tiny hairs just coming in. You really have to give your ht a full 12 months before getting upset with the results. There are many threads on this forum that discuss the waiting game with HTs, and I suggest you read them, it will make you feel better. There is one in particular that Spex posted showing the huge difference between 8 months and 16 months. Blake, perhaps you guys can make that thread a sticky? This topic comes up all too often, and understandably so...

I'll see what I can do (send me a link to the thread if you wouldn't mind) :)

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Hairsatr,

I suppose there is a possibility that some of the 'shock loss' hair didn't grow back, but, again, it can take anywhere from 3-6 months for this hair to grow as well, so it could just be more time before you know for sure. Additionally, lowering the hairline with midscalp thinning could account for a more sparse appearance all around. I definitely look forward to the new pictures!

It looks like it could definitely be a lot worse, and, if they're right, it will improve over the next several months.

I would say that, short of a horror story and a garish scar, that my own worst fear is going through it all and being unsatisfied or worse off than I was to begin with. I'm not saying that's your case, but it seems to happen all too often.

That said, wouldn't you want to go with like twice as many grafts to patch that up?

“You may say I’m a dreamer, but I’m not...”

- John Lennon

When I got surgery, the shock loss I experienced didn't fill in until nearly a year later (some didn't return, but 80% did).

Jan 2000 - 600 FUT with Dr Kurgis (MHR)

Sept 2011 - 1411 FUT with Dr Paul Shapiro

Jan 2013 - 1800 FUT with Dr Paul Shapiro

Sep 2014 - 1000 FUE with Dr Paul Shapiro

My Hairloss Blog »

When I got surgery, the shock loss I experienced didn't fill in until nearly a year later (some didn't return, but 80% did).

hi multipler

i m 6.5 mths post ops n most of my shock loss not returning yet... i will be glad if my shock loss do return back after 1 yr.

read your other post n i felt that u have the same kind of concerns as me before our next HT i.e. permanent shockloss

actually, is permanent shock loss a common occurrence? Can any doc comment here? I actually did not come across many posters complaining of permanent shock loss so it will be nice to discuss more of this issue

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

Yes i would like to have atleast double what i had last time. I just wish they did that many the first time. I told him to do as many as possible, and i didnt care if it caused alot of shocking. Im just confused what to do at this point. Iam meeting with them for a follow up soon.

Edited by HairSatr