Hi i have a question

Hi im alex in 21 years old and my mom and dad always told me i have 2 cowlicks in the same spot, of course ive never looked at the back of my head till now lol. I didnt know cowlicks can part your hair and make it look like a bald spot!!!

Anyways can you tell me if these are cowlicks or if its androgenic alopecia :(. I hope not... Anywho my hair is cut really short as well so im sure it brings it out more....

My parents assure me its always been like that (Althought ive never looked at the back of my head). And nobody has said anything to me about it so idk if im being paranoid or not.

5b32cbf1cc1bf_Snapshot2(12-30-201012-23AM).png.2bd449deef22adc4192368241aa50652.png

5b32cbf1e8126_Snapshot1(12-30-201012-23AM).png.4dd75bc31e457b8c7126694d033401c9.png

I hate to say it but it does appear that more scalp is showing than could be due to the natural spread of the hair at the crown, even accounting for double whorls. What I see looks like androgenic alopecia.

Sometimes parents will try and be positive and say they don't see anything wrong, sometimes they are just mistaken, or maybe your hair has always been thin in that area. It definitely looks thin though, I'm sorry to say.

You might see improvement with Propecia and/or Rogaine. I've seen cases like yours really turn around and totally fill in.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Alex,

I definitely see the two cowlicks your parents are referring to. Also, like Matt said, the vertex/crown region of your head did look a bit thinner (comparatively) in the first picture. However, the flash in the first image was also quite harsh, so it's possible that the thinning appearance was simply caused by the additional light. If you are experiencing androgenic alopecia (male pattern baldness), the good news is that you've caught it very early and are likely an excellent candidate for preventive therapies like minoxidil/Rogaine and finasteride/Propecia.

However, before utilizing any sort of medications, I personally recommend making an appointment with a dermatologist or hair restoration expert and undergoing an thorough evaluation of the scalp. This consultation will let you know if you truly are experiencing hair loss and how to progress from here. Good luck, and feel free to ask any additional questions.

PS: Sorry for the delay in response!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

IDK. It is really hard to tell. I do see 2 crowns. I have an S swirle mine looks thinner than it is. My wife swears that there is no difference in shaft diameter. I do believe almost all Caucasian males will see more skin in the center of their crowns.

That said the only thinner spot a really see is on the right side of your head. It is a toss up for me, cant really tell.

If you are that stressed I would see a dermatologist and consider finasteride. It is better to treat the problem if there is one than to ignore it.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Alex,

I definitely see the two cowlicks your parents are referring to. Also, like Matt said, the vertex/crown region of your head did look a bit thinner (comparatively) in the first picture. However, the flash in the first image was also quite harsh, so it's possible that the thinning appearance was simply caused by the additional light. If you are experiencing androgenic alopecia (male pattern baldness), the good news is that you've caught it very early and are likely an excellent candidate for preventive therapies like minoxidil/Rogaine and finasteride/Propecia.

However, before utilizing any sort of medications, I personally recommend making an appointment with a dermatologist or hair restoration expert and undergoing an thorough evaluation of the scalp. This consultation will let you know if you truly are experiencing hair loss and how to progress from here. Good luck, and feel free to ask any additional questions.

PS: Sorry for the delay in response!

Well dont forget my hair is cut VERY short, thats like a 2 1/2 on the clipper. I REFUSE to use propecia due to Impotence that my friends have expierenced. So noooooo way.

And i didnt just ask my parents ive asked other random people (Yeah wierd) and they say they dont notice anything.

Edited by Alexsmith1220

I took the pic in better lighting you can see where the 2 cowlicks meet and its pushing my hair.

However taken from far away noone notices.

5b32cbfe040f0_2010-12-3113-46-06_692.jpg.cb190991b82213cc42ced0ca0ebb742d.jpg

5b32cbfe1b3b7_Snapshot1(12-31-20101-44PM).png.931a156ba9daddc28aefac20816c3d4d.png

NOW here are pics of my hair VERY short like a 1/2 on the clippers now when i cut it that short you can barely see the cowlicks.

5b32cbfe34130_Snapshot2(12-31-20101-50PM).png.4cdca509e488a1eb83d52d533319676a.png

I have been using Nizoral Shampoo and believe it or not i have been seeing new baby hairs come in.

Thing is, im not shedding, i maybe lose 10-20 hairs a day (Which is above average). There is like 2 hairs on my pillow in the morning and i maybe lose 5 in the shower after shampooing. My hairline has receded a little but thats my father and his brothers and it doesnt bother me, here is a pic.. Not that noticable.

5b32cbfe4b5d2_2010-12-3113-55-54_686.jpg.2b8c430dffe7012cccb9db1cc8f5124f.jpg

5b32cbfe5c22f_2010-12-3113-56-03_516.jpg.9424b9740120504e0ec96c2588a038f3.jpg

5b32cbfe7d33e_2010-12-3113-56-07_439.jpg.48720c4a278acd8513dbef8d8a36719d.jpg

Edited by Alexsmith1220

you are thinning in your crown...i would recommend rogaine if you dont like the idea of using finasteride.

Well what alot of people tell me is that my hair looks NOTHING like it does on the camera. Seems as the camera is playing tricks on my scalp. Random people, family, friends say they dont notice ANY thinning. But yet when i take a picture of it, it looks messed up.

I dont understand. When my hair gets very long that isnt noticable that much.

But i dont understand how im losing hair when im really not!! lol. I am not shedding at all, no noticable hair loss. On pillows, shower ETC. However i was stressed for a period of time and once i stopped stressing ALOT of hair came back.

I am a bodybuilder and have used AAS substances. But never expierenced thinning even on the highest DHT AAS such as Winstrol/Masteron. Nizoral seemms to really help alot. Just freaked out, my scalp is itchy but i have dry scalp/dandruff so yeah. No hair loss is noticable as far as seeing any hair anywhere.

It's normal to see some scalp at the center of the whorl of the crown and in the area where the hairs spread separate ways fanning out from the center. As you have two of these going on then there will be even more scalp showing. What makes me think you have lost hair is that scalp is visible over a wide area, including in places where the direction of hair growth is uninterrupted by the crown growth patterns.

I'm sure the closely cut hair is making it look thinner than it is though.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

It's normal to see some scalp at the center of the whorl of the crown and in the area where the hairs spread separate ways fanning out from the center. As you have two of these going on then there will be even more scalp showing. What makes me think you have lost hair is that scalp is visible over a wide area, including in places where the direction of hair growth is uninterrupted by the crown growth patterns.

I'm sure the closely cut hair is making it look thinner than it is though.

Yeah those damn swirlies make everything bad :( lol. What makes it really bad is that i have 2 of them right next to each other, my hair grows from side to side so im sure its not as bad as what it seems. Cause in person people say they dont notice anything.

Alex,

Personally, I think it's very easy to persuade yourself one way or another, but the best thing you can do is have an expert thoroughly review the area and give his/her professional opinion. I highly recommend scheduling an appointment with a dermatologist and, if he or she does think the crown is thinning, sticking with the Nizoral and investigating Rogaine/minoxidil (if you're sure you don't want to use Propecia - though the most accurate reports we have show that less than 3% of individuals utilizing the drug experience side effects). Good luck, and let us know if you have any additional questions!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Alex,

Personally, I think it's very easy to persuade yourself one way or another, but the best thing you can do is have an expert thoroughly review the area and give his/her professional opinion. I highly recommend scheduling an appointment with a dermatologist and, if he or she does think the crown is thinning, sticking with the Nizoral and investigating Rogaine/minoxidil (if you're sure you don't want to use Propecia - though the most accurate reports we have show that less than 3% of individuals utilizing the drug experience side effects). Good luck, and let us know if you have any additional questions!

I will make an appointment to make sure either. Hopefully its just my hair, but then again this is the first time ive ever actually analyzed the back of my head.. EVER lol.