Scratching my head

Mercury

Does anyone know if scratching the scalp causes hair loss? I had a transplant several years ago and it seems that they have on occasion been itchy and slowly thinning.

I’ve heard that a ton of scratching is not good for the hair - is this true?

Life is like a game of cards. The hand that is dealth you represents determinism; the way you play it is free will.

Jawaharal Nehru

Mercury,

Unless you're scratching so hard that some sort of traction alopecia effect is created (which I doubt), then it's highly unlikely you're creating any new hair loss by scratching your scalp. Although it's unlikely that you're creating hair loss by scratching your scalp, it is important to get to the root of why you're scalp is continually itchy, because if it's created by excess sebum (oil) buildup or some sort of fungus, temporary or permanent hair loss could occur. I highly recommend consulting with a dermatologist and undergoing a scalp evaluation. He/she may recommend some type of therapy to stop the itching, which should also cease your concerns about losing hair from this itching! Good luck.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

It's been said that itching is a sign of inflammation caused by DHT, which could be a cause of hairloss because DHT causes male pattern baldness. But your transplants shouldn't thin because they are taken from a DHT resistant area of your scalp. Are the back and sides thinning any? Get some Nizoral shampoo. That took care of all itching I had. Use it every 3-4 days.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D