Numbness after HT

Hi!

I had an HT done about 5 month ago. The results have been amazing, and already at 3 months I had good growth. One thing worries me a bit though. After the hair transplant I had numbness in the area above my strip scar and throughout the top all the way to the frontal hairline. Most of the numbness is now gone, but there's still an area on the top of the scalp of about 7x2,5 cm where I have markedly deecreasd sensation. Is there a reason to worry yet? Is it normal to still have some numbness after 5 months? What is your experience?

The numbness is normal for 5 months after transplantation. It can still last somewhat from 6-7 months, but it will come back. There is nothing to worry about, you're still in the time frame where this is normal.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

If it is any consolation, I had significant numbness for several months following my first hair transplant. In fact, it wasn't until about 8-10 months after the surgery that my scalp felt normal. What was interesting was that whenever I was feeling under the weather, I would get this weird sensation along my donor line. It was not really painful, but it was almost like it was hypersensitive.

Like you, I had a spot that was quite numb, near the top of my head. When I pressed it I could feel this weird sensation going down the back of my hair towards the donor line. The good news is that over time, the area of numbness got smaller and smaller.

I'm now about 8 months following my second transplant and I would say my scalp is feeling very good right now. I didn't have the same level of numbness the second time around, nor did it cover as large an area.

Rest assured that your chances of having your sensation return to normal is really quite good. It just takes time for the nerves to "repair" themselves after the "trauma".

There are actually some posts in the forum in which people have gone a year with numbness and they were giving up hope.

I was finding a lot of information on here and I came across that posts...I can't remember whom it was though, sorry.

Goldilocks, hypersensitivity is definitely a factor in numbness after a HT.

Weather is a common factor of this with other surgeries. A friend of mine tore her ACL and every time it rains it gets really sensitive...so she says.

Great thread! Any other thoughts?