Dr. Pong Chaing Mai Thailand

jimmybald

Just had my consultation with Dr. Pong. I am scheduled in the morning for around 1800 grafts in the temple hairline area. If you look at my pictures before you can see that it looked as I would need 3000-4000 grafts as quoted by many top docs from this site. I took the picture at about 2 months on propecia. I have now been on the med for 9 months and it has thickened the crown mid scalp area enough where I don't need grafts. It's not 100% thick but improved.

About the area and office. I was a little concerned because of the area. Lots of motorbikes and a little bit of a third world feel. Once I arrived at this office I felt better. The place was very swanky and modern. Dr. Pong was very polite and spoke to me about all of my concerns. I already knew the answers to most of my question through the last year of research but wanted to make sure everything was similar.

I also use something called thymuskin gold gel, it's damn expensive but I use it. Not sure if it is providing benefits or not. Plus minoxidil spray twice a day.

I will post pictures as soon as I get them and update my progress until the end. Wish me luck my balding comrades!

When it comes to Asia, not everybody in the forum knows the truth. There are many good surgeons who are hidden. for example, Dr Madhu is recommended by the forum, fair enough but between indians especially the ones who works in middle east all are talking about Dr.A (****** ******) and how amazing his work is...

Same comes to Thailand, Dr Pong has great results, I have seen my eyes 3 cases which were so good and promising. He is samilar to Dr Path, but dont think can handle problems, such as repair and dealing with limited donor. But for sure performs great on virgin scalps. As they say, Old Is Gold....

Edited by HARIRI

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

Well it's the day after my surgery. I had 1964 grafts. The cost was $3250. The strip was 18cm or long and 1cm thick. Not sure on the graft counts yet. I will pictures as soon as Dr. Pong sends them to me. The surgery is pretty painless as most people have stated. The shots are not nearly bad as I thought. The pain started about an hour or two after surgery from the donor area and a massive headache like feel. I took the pain meds and some valium and felt good enough to sleep. Today I feel basically nothing.

The staff was kind and the mood was very relaxing. The actually surgery from when I was cut and then the placement of grafts took about 4-5 hours.

A couple of concerns that I was thinking during the surgery. It seemed that when the doctor was making the incisions to place the grafts and did not take that much time at all. It felt like 15 minutes. Maybe I was high on valium and my concept of time was off. How long would it take to make almost 2000 incisions normally? I think that the assistants made some of the incisions while working and implanting. Is this normal? On the other, when he removed the strip, it took quite a while, much longer than making the recipient incisions.

All and all it was pretty much a pain free experience and I had great treatment

I will post pictures asap because I would love some feedback on how the work looks.

Hi,

I had my surgery at DHT Clinic, Bangkok, last year. To be honest I was fairly out of it because of the medication and I wouldn't have a clue who did what during the procedure. Time seemed to really fly and I only started to feel a little impatient after about 8 hours in the chair.

If you have any doubts why don't you ask the surgeon? I think it is best to have these concerns addressed before you start getting anxious about them.

Good luck and I really hope that the procedure goes well for you? Are you from Australia?

Btw do not go out into sunshine without having your head covered and I suggest using an umbrella if you have to and if you do use a baseball style cap make sure that the little metal part on the top doesn't rest on your scalp. I remember early in the process I kept worrying about everything that I did was going to affect my HT.

Regards

Rod

• 2 months later...

Hi, I just joined the forum today as I was actively searching the internet for info on Dr. Pong myself. I have had three online consultations ... one from H&W which are located where I live in Vancouver, that came it at 25k or more in US dollars. Dr. Path quoted me a minimum of 11k US for the first procedure with a definite followup in a year at the same price, so 22k US total. Dr. Pong of Chiang Mai quoted me 5k US, with a follow up procedure in a year of another 5k US, for a 10k US total. There has been little on English websites to read, but when you look at his patient pictures, you'll notice close to 75% of them are asian, who may not frequent an English website for bald guys. However, what I have read here and elsewhere sounds really good, and will save me $12,000 US, which is nothing for a middle class working guy to sneeze at.

Really interested to here the rest of your progress jimmybaki, as I'm planning to be in Chiang Mai in July, so have to make a decision soon.

Hi,

If you do a search on the forum you will find that there are a couple of members who have recently undergone a HT. Why not send them a pm and ascertain their progress. I think they are from Australia. How many grafts do you require?

Regards

Rod

RodG, was that question addressed to the OP or to myself?

In my case, I got my first online consultation from DHT, who sent this reponse after I sent the requested photos.

"Your photos show that you have extensive hair loss from front to the crown area with good donor hair so you are a good candidate for hair transplant. Myrough estimate of the number of grafts for your case is 4,000+ grafts more or less depending on the hairline you want. The 4,000+grafts will be transplanted from the front toward the back with dense packing until we run out of grafts."

The estimated cost of the procedure would be 340,000 baht plus an HIV test and consultation fee, so roughly $11,000 Canadian.

I then sent the same pictures to Dr.Pong at the THT Center, and got this response,

".On assessment from your attached pictures you are a Norwood class 6 on the Norwood hair loss scale and this represents a severe amount of hair loss.The available donor hair at the back and sides are also limitted.I estimated on your pictures and assess that you will need at least 2 sessions of the transplant to restore on your hairline and top of scalp.The cost for each session is about US$ 4000-5000 ( you will need about 2500-3500 grafts in each session and the time interval between each session is at least 8-12 months apart)"

Both estimates were consistent that I needed between 3k and 4k grafts, and both suggested a second session a year down the road. On the one hand, however, DHT says I have "good donor hair" while THT states that I "limited" donor hair. I am not sure why there is a discrepency on that issue, does anyone have any ideas?

Tho it has been stated that cost should not affect the final decision of where to go for the HT, in my case the difference of over $10,000 signifies the difference between me getting the surgery, or not getting the surgery.

Terms like "good" are too vague IMO. When you meet a doc in person, they can do a density test and should be able to give you an idea of how many grafts they can get. It sounds like they're both saying the same thing though. Both docs obviously think you have sufficient grafts for the job, pong is just pointing out that the supply is limited which is true no matter if density is good or not.

5700 FUE in 3 procedures with Dr. Bisanga

View my patient website:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1874

I have nothing but good things to say about my experience with Dr. Pong. I am only a little over 2 months post op so can't really say anything about my results. I do have hairs starting to sprout but nothing major, which is expected at this juncture. My scar is still pretty red but I can see the thin line so the closure looks to be top notch but I am far from an expert.

Also Dr. Pong doesn't charge extra for the aids test or consultation. I feel that it is pretty petty to ask for more money plus the high price of the surgery. You'd think they could just include that. Also Dr. Pong offered for me to come in everyday to have my hair washed. I was stayed 8 days after my procedure, I thought that was very caring and generous.

I will take pictures at the the 4 month mark to show my progress. You can also find my pre and post op photos on this site.

Best of luck in your choice and outcome.

I had my FUT by Dr Path & his team almost 3 wks ago. His assistant mentioned that Dr Pong was trained by Dr Path himself. He then opened his own outfit in Chiang Mai.

Full on shedding has started. From shedding scabs to hairs, this's been a long month..

Hi Vanman,

I suggest asking doctor pong to provide you with references from his customers and contacting them directly. You need to contact someone who is 12 months post operatively for them to provide you with a proven outcome.

Also, ask him what his success rate is for HT's and the backup that he can provide you should you experience a low yield result.

I had my HT performed at DHT clinic in Bangkok by Doctor Kulakarn and I paid 68 bht per graft for the procedure. I am 7.5 months post operation and I have experienced significant growth, however, the yield at the front of my hairline is still a bit less than I desire but I have still some way to go before my final result is known.

I have frequented Doctor Pong's website many times and the prices quote are very good. Also, I have not read any negative comments on this forum regarding is HT results from members.

Good luck with your decision.

Regards

Rod

• 2 weeks later...

Hi RodG, what can you tell me about your experiences with Dr. Kulakarn? Would you say she could provide equally good work as Dr. Path? or as Dr. Pong? What are your thoughts/gut feel on this? Also, how good was she with determining the hairline design? Am considering either her or Dr. Pong (as Dr. Path is too expensive) but can't decide...

• 4 months later...

Hi, I just joined and have to reiterate what everyone else is saying...this guy & his staff are brilliant. I saw them for the final time today being 10 days post opp, I had the stitches removed yesterday and as many scabs as they could remove today, the aftercare service has been exceptional and most of the grafted hairs are still there.

If anyone thinks for one minute this is not a genuine post please feel free to PM me, I was talking to him before I left when he took his final pics and asked why he was not so well known, turns out that of the 230ish operations performed last year 70ish were performed on Aussies like myself & most of the rest were on Asians ~ Japs, Singapore, HK, Malay etc & as most Australians are fairly modest not a lot is being published.

I had my interview, tests & operation all in the same day, he's developed a new way of taking grafts so instead of taking a straight line he makes it wriggle up & down in a snake pattern getting more donors from the same length of scar area, I was the third to have it done & couldn't be happier..I saw both the other recipients the morning of my opp as they had been done in the preceding days.

I had a total of 2,885 grafts with 5,794 hairs at a cost of about $4,300 AUS + holiday costs which I would have been up for anyhow as I was quite willing to forgo my $500 deposit if I didn't like what I saw but I was at ease the second I walked in. I'll need to go back for the crown work in about a year as I'm a V1.

All the best to future patients.....well worth a look. I'll probably post some pics later.

One more thing, he showed me his certificate form The American Hair Transplant Institute (something like that) which he had just received & was most proud of.

Edited by Tiztom

I am glad you had a good experience with Dr.Pong, Tiztom. I couldn't agree more with your assessment of Dr.Pong and his teams professionalism. I am not 25 days post op, and have sent pics off to Dr.Pong and received a quick reply that everything is going as is should. My number of grafts, total hairs and cost were very similar to yours. My donor scar is healing very nicely as well, with hardly any discomfort now. The wait is on now for the new hair growth, but I still have a few months to wait for that, so just have to be patient.

I'm looking at next November as roughly the time I'll be going back for a second procedure.

Hey, I was hoping to go back & get it over & done with next Feb but he said to wait at least a year, I'm going to try scalp stretching exercises in 3 months to possibly help speed up the time frame & next time I'll get a closer hotel, taxi cost me 150r every day lol, I was next to the night markets.........well I still am but will move on early next week, maybe Chiangrai for a few days.

Try the Lotus Pang Suan Kaew .... its a 5 minute walk to the clinic out their front door. I booked a Deluxe Room (don't book a Superior as they are in the old wing and suck) and it was very nice. Total cost for 4 nights with breakfast was a trifle less then 4000 baht, so about 1k/night. Agoda had a very good deal with 40% discount.

lotuspskhoteldotcom

DSC01833.jpg

Wow, looks a bit flasher than my place but I've been here 2 weeks already and I'm only paying 450R or $15AU per night & pretty happy, all I want is a hard bed, air con & a decent shower, it had good reviews which is all I go on & it's in a great spot right next to the night markets and near all the action...Lanna Thai Hotel/Guest house.

• 2 weeks later...
Wow, looks a bit flasher than my place but I've been here 2 weeks already and I'm only paying 450R or $15AU per night & pretty happy, all I want is a hard bed, air con & a decent shower, it had good reviews which is all I go on & it's in a great spot right next to the night markets and near all the action...Lanna Thai Hotel/Guest house.

i stayed at Lanna Thai Guest House for my recent holiday trip. Its a simple place with just the necessary facilities. No fridge, no toiletries.

Location is just next to night market and you get free Wifi.

i stayed at Lanna Thai Guest House for my recent holiday trip. Its a simple place with just the necessary facilities. No fridge, no toiletries.

Location is just next to night market and you get free Wifi.

You guys have lower standards then me when it comes to hotels!! LOL I like my creature comforts, especially when it is such a small part of the overall cost.

I am not 6 weeks post-op, and my scalp is starting to clean up nicely. Get the occasional pimple up there, but that's to be expected as well. Donar scar is already very hard to see. I would update pictures on my journal website, but its not accepting any more submissions for me for some reason. I will update them on my profile, however.

I'm paying 350B, $11 AU in Chiang Rai now and getting free brekky, WIFI, fridge, TV and loving it, like a smaller version of CM without being pestered every 1 min by a tailor, tuktuk driver, stall holder or massage parlour but everything is here if you want it ;-)

I'll be 5 weeks on Monday and everything is going great, don't seem to have lost much hair, no pimples & most of the donor scar scabs have been picked off but I have no idea what it looks like from behind yet, not really bothered as any problems can be fixed next time. Still pretty numb in the op area and sort of feels like I'm wearing a hat/cap when I lay down.

I think the advantage of staying for the 10th day (stitches out on the 9th) was having them scrub and pick all the scabs off the new grafts as I haven't had another one form since, in fact the hair will lay down a bit if I push it across now, I'll soon be flicking it out of my eyes again haha.

Edited by Tiztom

• 1 month later...

Hey, good luck with it, mine is going great at almost 3 months, seems to be getting better by the day, I don't think I lost as many hairs as I expected to but it's hard to say/see, I've done nothing in the way of special treatments or drugs, just treat my head the same as before the transplant, I'll post a pic later if you want in here, not too sure about doing a blog.