Can Sun Exposure/Tanning delay Growth

Ok so here's the deal... I went to a tanning salon about a week after my hair transplant. I forgot to cover my head. (Like and Idiot).

The next day I was freaking out because I did 3000 grafts with a top doc. I went to his office and he said since my scalp was not burned it should not be a problem.

So now I am 14 months out and NO GROWTH..

He said the tanning probably killed the hairs and that the entire growth cycle was affected.

He thinks I should wait a few more months and the hair should start growing...

So what's the deal. If any doctors or experts want to chime in I would love that.

Sasha,

I suggest utilizing our forum search function, because there was a recent topic with a member in a very similar situation. From what I understand, most hair transplant surgeons recommend avoiding as much direct scalp to sun contact as possible for the first 3-5 months post-operatively. Additionally, it seems like most physicians, in general, seem to recommend avoiding tanning salons altogether! ;)

As far as this one experience completely resulting in no growth, this seems a bit odd to me. I could understand if some grafts were damaged, but 14 months post-operative and no results seems a bit extreme for sun damage. Additionally, by 12 months, you result should be fully matured. I recommend doing some research on the forums and deciding how you would like to proceed from here - approaching the same physician about a second, repair type procedure, investigating preventive medications, looking into a second procedure with a different hair transplant surgeon, etc. Good luck, and please let me know if I can help you out with any of this research.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

On this topic, i did email my doc to find out more. Generally he was of the idea that avoiding excessive sun exposure for a couple weeks to a month is of utmost importance. Obviously tanning salons are to be avoided but sun exposure should not impose that much on growth. Blake, your advice?

My friend is to undergo his surgery soon but he does outdoor sports. Is 3-5months of sun avoidance unnegotiable? Is it so important?

thanks!

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

Wb,

From what I've gathered, tanning salons should be avoided, but the 3-5 months seems more of an 'avoid as much direct sunlight as possible for that time period' situation. I don't think any physician recommends that you walk around with an umbrella or stay inside the house for 3-5 months, but limiting the time spent with direct sunlight on the scalp seems advantageous. Altogether, I'd definitely confirm all this with the operating hair transplant surgeon and make sure you're following his/her post-operative advice thoroughly. I hope this helps! Please let me know if there is anything else I can research, attempt to answer, etc.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Blake, i understand your point. I did ask Dr Pat on this but he is of the idea that as long as u do not get into the sun extensively ( meaning more than like, 30min? ) for the first few weeks, then u r set to go. In fact, his post op instructions clearly mentioned 1 month. However, i gather from a few of u that 3-5months is the bench mark. I m fine cos i am not that into outdoor sports but my friend is. Asking him to shun the sun for 5 months is really tough.

Is the 3-5months thingy really necessary? Or could he just follow the avoidance of direct sun for 1month post op instruction of Dr Pat? You are making me worried too as i do weekly noon basketball sessions with my friends and the sun can be strong at times...

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730