African Americans FUE/HT

So can black folk get hair transplants/FUE?

The reason why I ask, and excuse me because I'm new to this, is because black folk have less hair density.

So I'm guessing you have massive density in addition to donor hair... am I right?

If I am wrong, please post pictures of African American males that have received HT/FUEs.

Thank you.

EDIT:

I found this

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Share-Info/hairloss-photos.asp?ToS=trplt&grp=0

Derp.

Edited by HighTopFade
adding link to non-white results

Hightopfade,

Yes, African American hair loss sufferers can successfully undergo both follicular unit extraction (FUE) and follicular unit transplantation (FUT) procedures. However, as you pointed out, there are a few factors that make African American hair transplant cases a bit more unique and interesting. First, it's my understanding that the usual characteristics of African American hair makes dissecting follicular unit grafts or cleanly extracting units a bit more difficult. It seems like the hair characteristics can be a bit curly, thick, and "wirey," which makes working with these follicular units more difficult. However, these same characteristics, in my opinion, often create excellent density and coverage when transplanted into thinning scalp.

Additionally, as you stated before, African American patients tend to have lower density in the universal extraction region when compared to Caucasian patients, for example. However, "lower density," does not imply that transplantation is not possible; it simply means that session sizes may be a bit more conservative (which could again be countered by the excellent characteristics of the donor grafts).

Finally, it's my understanding that African American patients tend to scar a bit easier than, again, compared to individuals of different races.

Having said that, you should keep in mind that this information is based on generalizations, averages, and anecdotal information. Additionally, almost all hair transplant procedures involve some sort of variable, and unique cases are definitely not confined to the African American patient population. Frankly, in the hands of a talented hair transplant surgeon, state-of-the-art hair transplantation is just as feasible for African American patients as it is for hair loss sufferers of any other race. To prove this, I wanted to share a few recent African American transplant cases:

Dr. Jerry Cooley - 3,168 grafts in African American Male; 6 months

African American Patient - Dr. Edmond Griffin

Dr. Pathomvanich - African American patient

These are a few of the numerous successful African American hair transplantation examples shared with our community. I highly suggest utilizing the search function to continue researching! Good luck, and feel free to ask any additional questions.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I often perform FUE cases on African American patients. They are very interested in FUE because it will give them the ability to keep very short hair in the donor rea and not have a visible scar. I will try to post some immediate post op photos.

Oh, my gosh!

I am flattered at the fast, informational, and racially sensitive posts. I'm so glad I found this site. And I really want thank you two for posting. I really do appreciate it. My hair loss has been an emotionally draining situation... just by signing up and seeing actual people and not just faceless usernames, it's really reassuring -- regardless if I am a candidate for HT/FUE.

Thank you again, good sirs.

P.S. I'll comment on the pics later. I can't view them for some reason.

When using the FUE method in African American patients, does the donor scar leave a pink mark or does it heal up to normal skin color?

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Blake (or another administrator could answer this question),

In the patient show by Dr. Griffin it specifically states, " This patient did not have any single (1) hair grafts transplanted."

Why in the world would no single hair grafts be placed in and around the hair line? Is there a good explanation for this?

Certainly a more natural appearance would include single hair grafts around the hair line. That is the current standard of care when doing transplants for the most natural appearance.

Dr. Griffin is chosen to be one of the recommended physicians on your coalition. I had assumed that one of the criteria for selection is to be doing the latest techniques for the most natural result. Not using any single hairs for the hair line does not seem to be up to par for a natural appearance and not up to par for what I thought would have been criteria for inclusion into a recommended coalition doctor.

Maybe even Dr. Griffin or someone from his clinic can explain why they don't believe in doing single hair grafts. The accepted belief from other doctors in the coalition is that single hair grafts in the hair line allow for the most natural appearance.

Steelworker,

Thank you for sharing your concern. Part of what keeps our community so steadfast and patient-oriented is the fact that we continually review, ask questions, and make sure that all parties involved with our hair restoration community are up to par! Having said that, I'm both positive that Dr. Griffin does, when appropriate, utilize singular hair grafts (mainly because they occur naturally, so not utilizing these grafts simply wouldn't be possible) and that he is worthy of his Coalition recommendation status.

If you'd like, I could definitely get in contact with the right people and see if a representative from Dr. Griffin's clinic would offer further clarification, but I'd guess that no singular hair unit grafts were transplanted for one of two reasons:

1. Dr. Griffin simply didn't run across any singular hair grafts while operating. Although I did say that singular hair grafts exist (and would be implanted when appropriate), they are much less common than 2-3 unit grafts, and there is a chance Dr. Griffin simply didn't run across any during the hair transplant procedure.

2. Due to the sensitive nature of dissecting/refining African American follicular unit grafts, Dr. Griffin could have opted to not 'split' any 2-3 unit grafts into singular follicular unit grafts because the chance of transecting or damaging the follicle was simply too high.

I hope this helps! Please, let me know if you would still like an official reply from Dr. Griffin's clinic and I will see what I can do and keep you updated.

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Blake,

Thanks for your response. Yes, it would be interesting to hear from Dr. Griffin why he chose to do the surgery like he did. I know we can assume why he may have did what he did, but it is better to hear it from the source.

Thanks for all you do on this forum.

I'll get right on it and keep you updated.

• 5 months later...

I was hoping someone could help me. I'm a 33 yr. black man. I'm really trying to find a surgeon who perform a possible FUE. I had seen a DR. Diep on youtube but have never seen the ending result. If anyone could help me I 'd really be grateful.