Recipient area Scars?

That photo looks like it was taken a few days post-op so it's not an example of recipient area scarring. The grafts are still healing under the surface of the scalp so that's why there is a slight bumpiness to the scalp. But that goes away quickly and you should see no long-term scarring when done by a top clinic.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

My HT Blog

Yes, you are right this was a few days post-op. But what about all those guys trying to get rid of little scars on the donor area?

Is that an old technique or it is just some people with tendency to bad scarring?

No, I am not talking about FUE.

I am talking about many guys on other forums (repair section) still trying to get rid of scars bumps and pits in the recipient area.

Hair Loss Help Forums - Bumpiness and pits in recipient area

http://www.angelfire.com/indie/hairtransplant/corrective.html

Edited by moro

moro,

The link you provided at angelfire is one of the most extreme cases of what never to do. The example is certainly not representative of the work being done by the top HT docs today. The type of surgery the patient had was open donor (plugs) and yes it the method often left the patient with recipient area scarring.

FUE really is a micro-version of past open donor methods in harvesting hair. The difference today is that FUE extracts the FUs intact while the former technology did nothing more than "punch out" sections of hair. Either way, both methods do some level of collateral damage within the donor area but like in Sparky's case, the punches used probably averaged .50mm in size so that when the healing was completed, you can barely tell where the extractions were done. That's the level of proficiency that some class docs have come to, although they would tell you that they have not yet "arrived", and are still working at improving their tools for extraction. I want to believe that no one is doing the former archaic methods of open donor harvesting.

There are a number of factors that can cause the pitting, discoloration, etc in the recipient area of old "plug transplants". The circumference of the punchout grafts were smaller than the recipient site created causing pitting, or the open donor plug was larger than the recipient site and caused ridging and large bumps.

Todays top docs have the grafts microscopically cut and trimmed after dissection from the strip. Larger FUE grafts are at times diseccted into single hair bearing grafts or doubles, whatever the doc wants, and then implanted into the recipient site. Top FUE docs may still have some larger grafts trimmed down to size.

The best docs have the grafts cut to the peripheral sizes of the micro-incisions they have created, many with custom-sized blades. Precise sizing of the grafts to their respective recipient sites prevent the pitting, bumps, etc and often heal without any appearance of scarring. Once healing transpires, the result is amazingly natural providing angulation was done to perfection.

The industry has come a long, long way!

Edited by gillenator

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY