Is a DHT blood panel an accurate way assess rate of loss???

Elevated DHT levels in a patient with Genetic male pattern balness would raise concern about increasing the rate of hair loss but would not necessarily be an accurate indicator. There are several other factors that would need to be taken into account when determining rate of hair loss.

I could be wrong, but I thought DHT levels essentially mean nothing when using it as a indicator for determining if you will go bald or not. I was under the impression that it all comes down to your genes and how SENSITIVE your hair follicles are to DHT.

For example:

Person A could have a very low level of DHT but their hair follicles are extremely sensitive to DHT. As a result, Person A will bald.

Person B could have a very high level of DHT but their hair follicles are not sensitive to DHT. As a result, Person B will not bald.

I could be wrong, but I thought DHT levels essentially mean nothing when using it as a indicator for determining if you will go bald or not. I was under the impression that it all comes down to your genes and how SENSITIVE your hair follicles are to DHT.

I read that balding guys do have higher DHT levels on average - I remember thinking the same as you until that time. But when it comes to DHT inhibitors, if you are balding and you reduce your DHT you will bald LESS regardless of whether you start high or average on the big who's got the most DHT list.

Scar5,

I definitely understand what you're saying bud. DHT is what's causing this mess. DHT inhibitor drugs (fin) will help lower it and thus slow balding.

However, I still don't think that answers the poster's question. I dont think a DHT blood panel is an accurate way to access a person's hair loss or rate of hair loss.

So, if the guy gets his DHT taken and its very low...what does that mean? Nothing really, he could still bald, and bald fast because he is extremely sensitive to DHT....

He could get his DHT taken and it could be extremely high, and yet, he may see very little hairloss, or maybe no hair loss at all. Why? Because his genes couldn't care less and his hair loss is not sensitive to it.

I guess what I am trying to say here is that initial DHT identification, in my opinion, means nothing in terms of 'Am I going to bald?' or 'at what rate am I going to bald?' The only reason I would see this test beneficial is if you get a baseline DHT test, then take Fin and get your DHT tested again to see if it works for you...

I'd just hate the poor guy delay his use of medication because his DHT levels are low and he thinks hes okay....even though he's losing his precious hair.