FUE yield/transection more or less with single hair grafts?

I'm exploring having a HT surgery. I've gotten some opinions, and depending on what surgeon I've talked to, I'll need between 600 - 1200 grafts. All of the grafts would be placed in the temples and to slightly lower the hairline. Since the hairline is the most visible area for a transplant, it seems smart to focus mostly on single hair grafts for a softer look, right? In that case, are some of the challenges with regard to FUE's transection and yeild greater with smaller single hair grafts?

Or am I completely wrong and is it possible to get a nice soft look with 2 and 3 hair grafts placed carefully?

Singe, 2 and 3 hairs are naturally occurring on your scalp. My understanding is that the best look is achieved by using single hairs in the hairline. Achieving a soft natural look is a function of a skilled doc. Pick a good one, and you'll be happy! Good luck!

- badger

3279 grafts with Dr Gabel - 06/12/08

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Gabel

Would be cool if a surgeon could chime in on this one.

I'm sure that single hair grafts would look better and more natural in the front, but my concern was whether their transection rate or yield is worse than with bigger grafts. Or maybe there is no relationship.

My idea that FUE would be better for me for a couple of reasons is based on 1) I need a small session 2) I need only the hairline done and it's easy for the doctor to selectively choose single hair grafts with FUE

I think FUE is a little overhyped on these websites and should be avoided unless you are adamant about avoiding a linear scar from strip surgery. Some of the top docs will tell you that the FUE procedure is far from being perfected.

In my opinion FUE is still risky, even if it's a small session.

To answer your question, I would think transection would be lower in single hair grafts because you have more room around that one hair for error. If the doctor is trying to center up over 3 hairs then he has less room for error.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

I think FUE is a little overhyped on these websites and should be avoided unless you are adamant about avoiding a linear scar from strip surgery. Some of the top docs will tell you that the FUE procedure is far from being perfected.

In my opinion FUE is still risky, even if it's a small session.

I agree that it is still not capable of producing the results of strip surgery in most cases. However, in some cases it might be a better option. In my case, I'm requiring a relatively small number of grafts, 1000 or less. Also, those grafts ideally would be single hair units. FUE allows the surgeon to selectively pick which grafts to move whereas strip excises a piece of hair-bearing skin and you have to work with whatever is there. Lastly, I wear my hair pretty short. And although I don't buy into the myth that FUE doesn't leave a flawless donor area, I think it arguably provides a better-looking donor area for short haircuts.

To answer your question, I would think transection would be lower in single hair grafts because you have more room around that one hair for error. If the doctor is trying to center up over 3 hairs then he has less room for error.

That makes sense. I guess I was looking at it from the perspective that single hair grafts are smaller and thus require more delicate care.

There is some good information already posted here. I agree that FUE gets overhyped and in my opinion is ideal for folks with bad scarring potential, who need a relatively smaller amount of hair, and who want to keep a crew cut in the back....that being said, we have a couple of class 5 and 6 guys we are FUEing due to patient desires.

Transection rate is absolutely higher with FUE. When you have a strip, the cutters using microscopes can almost completely eliminate transection if they are good and if they concentrate! In fact its that latter issue, that makes us only do 1 case a day. I don't think the guy we would start at 3pm would get the same quality of cutter work as the am guy..... And FUE transection can be unpredictable with standard sized punches, and there is a big learning curve to FUE.

Lastly, I favor that first 3/8 of an inch along the hairline as all singles. That looks natural and then behind it, are doubles and even some triples. Just yesterday I saw a patient who was unhappy from getting a bunch of 2s and 3s all along the frontal hairline from a nearby office. The patient had a nice result, except that hairline was CLUMPY, not pluggy, but clumpy from 2s and 3s sticking out in hairless forehead skin. A bunch of singles will fix it nicely. Plus in a straight haired individual, getting those via FUE or strip is up to the patient. In this particular case, he chose a small FUE which we'll do next month.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians