Question about long hair restoration

I have been having more than normal hair loss lately and i want to check up stuff i can do to prevent it if it keeps on going , so i have a couple of questions:

1. Is it possible to have a surgical hair restoration on long hair? I've heard they take hairs from the back of the head where they don't fall out, does that mean they permenently take out hair from the neck area of the head or? And is it possible to have a growing long hair with this operation?

2. Is there something i can do to PREVENT hair loss, as i am not bald or anywhere near balding right now, i want to make sure i don't go bald and avoid operations.

Stuff like Rogaine, Revivogen,Propecia does it work to Prevent hair loss or its all hype?

Whats the down side of it?

Thank you a lot !

Edited by Axel1911

Propecia can help you keep your hair and you'll find most guys here recommend it. The downsides can be that it doesn't work for everyone, and there can be side effects including erectile dysfunction.

During a transplant hair is taken from the back of the head, from the region that is more or less safe from male pattern baldness. This is the area you will have noticed remains in men even with advanced hairloss. The hair will be trimmed during the procedure so won't remain long, and besides that, the hairs will shed shortly after the operation anyway. If you are planning to undergo a hair transplant you must be aware that you will not leave the surgery with the head of hair that you are planning for. The hairs shed and take months to grow in, thicken up and mature.

Take a look at some of the blogs kept by transplant patients here which show photographs at the various stages post-op.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Axel1911,

Welcome to the community! These are all good questions and you've come to the right place. There is nothing I can add to what mattj has already said. There is lots to know about hair transplantation prior to surgery. I hope you will take advantage of all this site has to offer.

Best of luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Thanks a lot guys !

Well cutting my hair is not such a problem as long as it can become the same as it was before.

"During a transplant hair is taken from the back of the head, from the region that is more or less safe from male pattern baldness. This is the area you will have noticed remains in men even with advanced hairloss"

- About that, does it mean i won't have the hair in the back of my head if it's taken from there?

Also do the Propecia side effects affect most of the people or just some?

And what about Revivogen - it's said to have less side effects, is it good?

Is it probable that i will keep my hair thick and full if i start using those products on time and prevent hair fall?

Hope you can answer all my questions, thanks a lot again!

1. It means you will have a scar on the back of your head....small and lateral....(small for most)

2. about 3 percent....some say more experience side affects from propecia.

3. Not sure about the Revivogen, but almost any doctor will tell you to start propecia as soon as you notice that you have MBP....they will also advise Rogaine...some even say that Nizoral is effective....a shampoo, you can research these 3 things for prevention.

It is very possible to keep you hair for the most poart on these....you have a 90% chance of at least slowing your hair loss on propecia...

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

You say you aren't anywhere near balding at the moment. I'm glad for you! Are you just thinking ahead or do you have some hairloss that you wish to treat with medications and perhaps address with a transplant?

If you have absolutely no sign of hairloss then I'm not sure that you should use the medications merely to prevent hairloss. If you are in the early stages then it's best to start the treatment soon and then, yes, you can keep your hair thick if you respond well to the medication.

Hey,

No i'm only in my 20's , i'm not having any serious hair loss problem,

It's just my dad is bald and as you said i'm thinking ahead if it was to happen to me

I'm not going to use the medications now but i want to be prepared so when i actually do experience hair loss i'd know what to do

I really really hope that if i treat it with medications early i could totally avoid any abnormal hair loss.

It's good to be prepared with the info you need should the curse strike. I wish I had started treatment earlier.

You say you're only in your twenties like hairloss doesn't happen to people your age. This forum has many twenty-somethings (including myself until last month) as well as some guys in their teens. Most members aged thirty-plus probably saw the first signs of balding when in their twenties.

So don't think that youthfulness itself will keep you safe.

Yeah you are right :/

Anyways, do you know stuff that really works? anything that you did to slow down your hair loss and how much effect do those medicines have? Say can i keep all of my hair if i start taking action on time,

Should i be mainly looking at propecia if i start to experience hair loss?

Personally I have only ever taken propecia (in chopped up 5mg proscar form) and nothing else. My hairloss wasn't very aggressive before I started taking it five years ago and hasn't progressed much since then. I have lost a little density at the front.

Propecia is definitely the #1 treatment.

Seriously though, once you've absorbed the information we've given you and locked it away for the future, I would put hairloss out of your mind until you actually start experiencing it. Just keep an eye on your hair and look out for any changes.