Does Lateral Slit Technique provide beter yield than Sagittal Slit Technique?

wow, thanks again jana! that was really helpfull!!!

i can clearly see how lateral would give the illusion of more density now as the hairs are side by side thus covering more scalp in a way,

when compared to sagital when they line up on top of each other???

how ever im still not totally getting how lateral is more dangerouse to existing hair?

and is it true that sagital really is safer for planting in an around existing hairs? and if so why?

thanks for your time and for helping nice pics:D

I believe someone on this thread mention that it really comes down to the skill of each physician rather than the type of incisions - I whole heartedly agree.

It's true when you have the skills for utilizing both or all types of incisions, they take care to minimize as much risks as possible. I too have stated before that it's more the skill of the physician making the incisions rather than the different types of incisions to get the best results. We like the coronal incisions for the 3 and 4 hair grafts as it allows the hairs to fan out from the front and back view. However, if you look at a head of hair from the sides on a patient with sagital incisions, the argument could be that the hairs are fanned from that point of view. But since patients are mainly viewed from the front, the head of hair with coronal incisions look more dense. The sagital incisions are NOT lined up on top of each other. I would say there's more staggering with sagital incisions while the coronal incisions are more in rows of lines.

Typically, the coronal incisons were made more acutely than with sagital incisions so came the argument that there would be more transection of existing hairs when coronal incisons used. However, the angle of sagital and coronal incisions can be altered (less acute) to minimize damage to existing hairs

• 3 years later...

Hi all, I hope you don't mind me replying to a somewhat old thread, but I just read that "the lateral-slit method is also superior because it is less traumatic to the scalp," which I find a little hard to reconcile with what I read in this thread so far...? True, I have no doubt that in the hands of a skilled surgeon both techniques are very safe for the scalp, but still I was wondering why could lateral slit being seen as generally safer?

Edited by looking4info

Hi Looking,

In general, I'm not sure I would refer to one as "safer" than the other. Like Dr. Mohebi said in the quote I shared earlier, sagital (parallel) incisions tend to bleed a bit less, but I'm not sure this equates to "safety." While it probably sounds a bit generic, experienced surgeons will have their preference and use whichever method produces the best results in their hands.

Let me know if I can offer further advice!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.