Pain and number of Grafts

Hello All,

I had a hair transplant back in 1998, about 800 grafts from the Chambers institute in Toronto. I was 29. For a number of years my hairline was ok .

Now 12 years later I am considering another one . Some Dr;s have reccomended 4000 grafts . My thinning is in the frontal area about 2 " in. No Crown thinning thankfully. I am 42 years old.

It was 12 years ago that I had my first transplant , it was a long time ago , almost forgot the pain but I did say at that time I would never get one again.

I had a bit of puffyness around the forhead for a few days but what bothered me the most was the donor area. I swear for years I cound feel the ridge . It was itchy, got pimples , Do I do it again? Few questions , answers , feedback welcome

1) do you find most Dr's reccomend more grafts then needed , the reason why I ask this I look at some Dr's website and I feel I am a certain level of thinning and they think I am worse then what I am ? I am wondering if Dr;s are just lowering my expectations ?

2) 2000 grafts vs 4000 grafts - less pain in the donor area? IF I go with 2000 grafts vs 4000? or about the same ?,small cut or large cut you are still going to have pain?

3) I would think 2000 grafts should make a big cosmetic improvement ? If its going to establish the frontal hairline

My hair is dark brown, corse , olive complextion

thanks to all who comment

johnny,

You'll get much more valid replies by posting some photos so we can get an idea of your degree of hair loss.

Regarding pain, I've had two hair transplants over the past two years and did not experience significant pain. I can't speak for everyone but I would venture to guess that improvements in tools and techniques over the past 12 years have helped doctors keep pain to a minimum.

Ethical and reputable doctors such as those recommended here do not inflate graft estimates. However, some hair restoration physicians are more conservative than others and some specialize in megasessions of 4000+ grafts. It's best to spend time viewing before and after pics and also communicate with patients prior to selecting your hair transplant doctor.

All the best,

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Hi Johnny1386,

There have been many improvements in hair transplant surgery since your previous surgery. The results are more natural appearing and the donor scars are better and more comfortable.

It sounds like 4000 grafts may be a bit excessive for the area that you have described, but it is hard to say for sure without seeing some recent photos.

Dr Simmons is located in Toronto and you could contact him for a personal consultation - which is always best - or you could forward some recent photos to him for an email consult. I should mention that I work for Dr. Simmons. His profile is here: Dr. Cam Simmons - hair restoration surgeon.

Dr Rosenberg is also a recommended physician in the Toronto area and Dr Rahal is recommended in Ottawa - you can view their profiles and results and can also send photos for an email consultation to see what they recommend.

I hope this helps.

Louise

Lead Hair Transplant Technician for Dr. Cam Simmons at the Seager Medical Group

Dr. Cam Simmons is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

We routinely do 3000 graft cases with several above 35-3700, but we have not topped 4000. Likely because I favor long thin strips to limit skin tension and try to get better scars.

But pain is ALMOST NEVER an issue. Since 2000, I have always prescribed 20 percocets (til 2005) or vicodens (since 2005). Our average guy takes 6 pills total. I have had to call in ONE refill that I can recall in the last 5 years; and we've had lots of fellows take zero pain pills. But 6 I think is about what you should plan on.

Every other week I get a call from a guy about day 4, who asks whether he can go back to the gym...another sign that it doesn't hurt too much.

So I wouldn't let pain be what sways you against proceeding with a procedure.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I cannot say for others but i was concerned about the pain initially. I was seriously surprised it hurts so little! Especially during the procedure. I dun recall having any pain. The only pain which caused slight grievance was the first night. After that, the level of pain is a piece of cake!

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730