FUE OR STRIP? Opinions appreciated.

Hey everyone, I've been reading on this community for about a year now and finally going to pull the tigger on restoring my hairline. I'm thinking based on what I've seen that I'll need around 1200 grafts into my hairline to reduce the recession in my temples and bolster my hairline. I'm considering FUE, but I don't cut my hair that short and know if I want to keep the donor area in best shape for the future I should go strip.

I'd just like to know a few opinions on how many grafts people think I would need as well as if it was more along the lines of 1500 grafts if I should do strip seeing how it is more consistent. In the back I have my stylist do finger length and never use a clipper 3 or 4 so I think it would cover the scar but I'm not sure of this.

Cheers!

013.jpg.653d483b643849d45c76e354fd2a4504.jpg

Edited by BlondeDude

This is one of those topics that you can go either way, but it depends on how you style your hair and want it, what if you have more hairloss in the future, and what not. You have to ask so many questions just to determine what you feel comfortable with. It's something I even went back and forth with for a while.

There are other threads on this forum that pertain to that topic, FUE vs Strip.

Each has its own benefit, each has its own disadvantage.

If you don't cut your hair short then probably strip is for you.

But if you cut your hair shorter then maybe Fue is for you.

Maybe it will ultimately depend on how many grafts you need?

Sean,

Thanks for the comment I appreciate your input.

I agree it comes down to if I have my hair short or not and the number of grafts. I don't see a lot of hairloss in the future, my hair is a mop, just my hairline is uneven. I don't plan on buzzing my head, but all that being said if the surgery is say 1200 grafts, for that small amount and the fact I don't see a ton of progression happening, FUE would be better even though it's results are less consistent? I'm just trying to do the right thing and I've read that strip first then fue is the way to go. I've also read a post by Dr. Feller, albeit from 2006, saying anything more than 400 grafts should be strip.

To be honest, on the basis of that photo I'm not seeing much hairloss at all. Your hairline seems to be in a good position with closed temples. If you were to go ahead with a transplant now it would definitely be a procedure at the smaller end of the spectrum, and you'd probably be best served by FUE.

You seem to have done your research and you know the basic pros and cons of each procedure. My own opinion is that if your hairloss is minor and not progressing very fast, and you can afford the higher cost, FUE is the best option due to being less invasive. Yes, grafts will be taken from within the area that one day might be removed if you were to need a strip procedure, but I don't think that's a big enough concern to outweigh the fact that FUE just seems more appropriate for the very minor work that you would need for your goal.

Can you take photos from other angles, specifically from the front and at a slightly higher angle? Also, if I might ask, how old are you?

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Matt,

Thank you for confirming what I was thinking as well. I believe FUE is most likely my best option, but wanted to get confirmation from people in the know like yourself before I made any decisions. I don't want to do anything to my donor area that would be considered irresponsible later on should I need a second procedure, which I'm sure will most likely happen as I am 27. Also, I have tried Propecia for 6 weeks and could not tolerate the side affects, I am all for topical and alternative treatments though. I have attached another picture per your request for a better overall judgment of my case.

Cheers!

007.jpg.fb604d7eb35ca10d8f051aecffa25de8.jpg

With your level of loss I personally would do nothing. But, if you are set on getting some work done, I'd say 400-500 into each temple would be plenty. For a procedure that size I would opt for fue. It will cost you more, but the recovery time is much easier.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com