Consensus on the best brand of Minoxidil?

xxy

I've been using Rogaine 5% liquid for about a year now, but the place I buy from has Kirklands and it's a bit cheaper, is Kirklands decent/good/OK?

Of the big commercially available brands, is Rogaine the best?

If not, what's better?

PS: Just talking about liquid 5%, I don't like the foam.

xxy,

I've been using Kirkland 5% minoxidil almost exclusively except for a short stint with Rogaine Foam. I quickly became tired of paying the high price for a name brand product and switched back.

As long as the active ingredient is 5% minoxidil and the product comes from a legitimate source, there should be no difference in the effectiveness of the product.

All the best,

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

I am sure the formulation differs in some way..I was taking Finpecia before, (Indian version of Propecia) then i switched to propecia and started getting anxiety attacks!!!finpecia worked for me. so i def knew that it had finasteride..but for some reason, my body rejected propecia completely!!!

And are there any problems with switching brands?

I know the active ingredient might be the same, but surely the formulation differs in some ways...?

The most common brands contain Alcohol, propylene glycol and purified water. I think the proportions differ slightly. From what I've read the component that causes flaking -not sure about irritation- is propylene glycol. So if you have a reaction to it, you can look for less known brands that replace it with something like glycerin. I've just ordered some after switching back to minox because the flaking is a big issue for me. I need to try it out to confirm it fixes the side effect.

Edited by Kenaz73

i too have also experianced diff sides frm diff brands of finest when first started taking it really killed my libido and now this time the newbrand if anything its helped a tad i get mine air male frm mcdonalds vancouver cheap too

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I've been using Rogaine for just a year and it's been mostly OK, with an itchy period at about 4 months.

I just found that Kirklands is available where I am, and it's way cheaper, so I'm trying it now.

I don't know if the same applies to over the counter meds, but with prescription drugs they are quality controlled. A brand name prescription medication is allowed +/- 4% active ingredients, while a generic is allowed +15%/-20%.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

xxy,

I've been using Kirkland 5% minoxidil almost exclusively except for a short stint with Rogaine Foam. I quickly became tired of paying the high price for a name brand product and switched back.

As long as the active ingredient is 5% minoxidil and the product comes from a legitimate source, there should be no difference in the effectiveness of the product.

All the best,

Hi Taking the Plunge,

Did using the foam make any difference for you in terms of headaches or dizziness and was it easier to apply and use?

Regarding effectiveness, I'd say that all the generics are about the same. It's just the concentration of minoxidil that matters the most. In my opinion, those considering generic minoxidil should look for the best prices and then buy it from there. Those who've experienced itching should consider Rogaine foam, which doesn't contain the propylene glycol, the ingredient sometimes responsible for scalp itch.

You can now buy generic minoxidil, Rogaine foam and other credible hair loss solutions by visiting our online hair loss product store.

Best wishes,

Bill