I just had a consultation with hasson and wong about a month ago. I must add that i am 26 years old and have been experiencing baldness since i was about 15 years old. I had a transplant in about 2006 with ziering medical, about 3000 grafts. Anyways, mike told me that i had about 5000 grafts left and that they wanted to do a surgery of about 2500 grafts if i chose do to so. A couple of questions...1. Why does my hair look horrible in one bathroom in mi casa and amazing in the other? What am i supposed to believe is the true coverage of my hair? 2. Since i look horrible (almost completely bald) in that one mirror in my house what can i expect a 2500 graft session from H&W will do for me? 3. Should i contact Mike and make arrangements to show him the difference in density under certain light conditions? He only looked at my hair in an office (La consult office) that wasn't well light. 4. Does H&W low ball you with graft counts? I mean i know Mike isn't a dr. but is he just giving a guesstimate? PLEASE i need people to respond to this as i am very depressed about my hair situation and am worried every second that hair transplantation may not give me the coverage i want

lighting,

First, let me say that Hasson & Wong have a stellar reputation on this board and I'm sure that the quote you were given regarding the number of grafts is in line with your expectations and what they feel is realistic given your degree of balding and the characteristics of your hair and scalp.

Inconsistent lighting can have a dramatic effect on the appearance of thinning hair. The best thing you can do to get an idea of what your "normal" hair looks like is to take some photos with no flash in an area that is well lit with indirect lighting. For contrast, you may also want to take some photos outdoors in direct sunlight.

If you are asking what you can expect from 2,500 grafts then this indicates to me a need for further research on your part. If you have not yet done so, I suggest you view some before and after photos of patients with a similar balding pattern and number of grafts in order to get a better idea of what is possible.

You may also wish to consult with other recommended physicians and compare their suggestions. Our recommended hair transplant physicians are among the finest in the world but the best surgeon for one patient is not necessarily the best for another. For this reason, it is critical that you are confident in your expectations prior to proceeding with surgery.

Best of luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Ive seen thousands of before and after photos but to me those are just photos. i guess i would just really love to see a couple of H&W patients in person before i go under the knife again. I've studied up for about 4 years now since my last operation and wish i could take back the first one and waited a few more years but oh well. Also wish i stayed on propecia when i was 18...dumbest thing ive ever done. I'm on propecia and will never get off it again!

Lightning,

Have you viewed any of Hasson and Wong's high definition post-operative videos? In addition to the videos on their website, they usually post a new high definition hair transplant patient video on our discussion forums every Friday. Here are several recent videos: 5496 grafts in one session, 7.5 months; 4333 grafts in one session; 4526 grafts in one session, and 4735 grafts in one session.

These videos may provide some of the depth and perception you're missing in the before and after photographs. I hope this helps! Please, feel free to ask any additional questions.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Yeah, lighting can be a bitch. Obviously, the more hair you have the better it will withstand the onslaught of flourescent lights. You may need 2 or 3 procedures to really have a frontal third that will look good in multiple lighting situations. It all depends on the texture of your hair. The coarser or thicker the hair shaft the better. Going to H&W wouldn't be a bad move at all.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

First of all dude, have you met the doctor himself. It would be foolish to commit to the surgery without the doctor using the densometer and estimating how many grafts you have in totality. He also needs to do a miniaturization test and determine the quality of your native hair..Please dont base your decision by meeting with the consultant

Yes, i view their HD videos all the time, im obsessed. Am i to take it that those videos are a true representative of their work in reality?

I would of course love to see the doctor but he is all the way in canada and i have only funds for the trip there once and back plus the cost of the surgery. I feel ike just gave me a guesstimate on how many grafts they think they can harvest but expect a bit more. I had a surgery with Ziering medical where they quoted me like around 2800 and they got out 3200 or so...which isnt a lot more.