Weight training post op

Hi everyone

I'm having my surgery done in a week (1500 follicles by dr marzola, who will use a trichophytic closure). I have been reading that it's best not to resume weight training for 4-6 weeks post op, but surely not all upper body exercises place strain on the wound? I would think that there are some to avoid and some that would be ok if done carefully - which exercises place most strain on the wound? which would be ok to perform?

I asked the same question before my surgery. You will find a wide range of answers on this but from my experience I would say 10 days PO is a good marker. I started back at 7 days doing very light exercises and nothing laying down. No bending over and no straining.

I slowly ramped up from there and now at 3 weeks PO I am back to 100% doing just about everything.

Good luck!

yes u will find all sorts of answers here, even the physicians vary in their opinions but for obvious reasons, we all agree that if u feel the strain on ur scar, STOP IT.

For myself, i started with cardio only for the entire 1st month and after that i slowly got back to my push up pull up regime but defn will not strain to the max. still taking it slowly

hope that helps!

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

nothing laying down. No bending over and no straining.

That's what I was thinking - I might have to wait on some exercises, but things that are done sitting or standing upright with no head movement - I just can't see how they would strain the wound even if you are going 100%. I guess if I am straining it I'll be able to feel it and I'll stop, do people's experiences reflect the above reasoning?

Soupnazi,

Dr. Bernstein (a coalition physician from New York) wrote an excellent set of post-operative instructions and specifically described the issue of exercise:

You may perform normal daily activities for the next three days and moderate exercise for the next 14 days. After two weeks, you may resume your normal daily activities. Avoid direct trauma to the head for two weeks after the hair transplant procedure. Abstain from sexual intercourse and alcohol for THREE days following the procedure.

Exercise

Follicular Unit Transplantation (WOUND CLOSED WITH SUTURES OR STAPLES).

The main concern with exercise is the suture line in the donor area. Straining or stretching the back of the neck may predispose to a wider scar, and should be avoided. Exercises that do not flex the neck, or put pressure, on the back of the neck are usually OK. In general, exercises such as sit-ups (especially with your hands clasped behind your head), squats or bench presses will strain the back of the neck and should be avoided for at least 4 weeks post-op. If the back of the scalp feels tight after 4 weeks, or if you have a tendency to heal with wide scars, these activities should be avoided for 3-6 months. Exercises such as walking up an incline, lifting very light weights and isolated leg exercises may be started within a few days after your procedure, if you feel up to it. Swimming may be resumed 2 weeks after your procedure. Since the impact of exercise will vary greatly from person to person, “cookbook” recommendations are not possible. Remember, the donor wound will not regain its full strength for at least 3-6 months after the hair transplant surgery, so some reasonably degree of caution should be exercised during this period. You must use your own good judgment in each particular case and call us if you have questions.

Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE PR0CEDURE WITHOUT SUTURES).

Avoid any activities that rub or place excessive pressure on the donor area for several (2-3) days, as this may cause the area to bleed. (Be certain to follow the instructions on caring for the transplanted (grafted) area described above.)

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.