Finasteride sides after 1.5 years

Marvin

I registered on this forum 1.5 years ago, started taking finasteride after posting about it, and had solid results with no sides.

Out of nowhere, 1.5 years into taking the drug, I started getting side effects (ED). I have taken myself off it (didn't take it today) and am now reeling as to what to do.

I might try lower doses, but it looks like I will be bald soon after all. :(

Marvin,

If you haven't done so already, I would check with a doctor to determine if there could be another cause for your ED.

Other potential causes (from Wikipedia)

• Neurogenic Disorders

• Hormonal Disorders

• Arterial Disorders

• Venous leak

• Cavernosal Disorders

• Psychological causes: performance anxiety, stress, mental disorders (clinical depression, schizophrenia, substance abuse, panic disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, personality disorders or traits. psychological problems, negative feelings.

• Surgery (radiation therapy, surgery of the colon, prostate, bladder, or rectum may damage the nerves and blood vessels involved in erection. Prostate and bladder cancer surgery often require removing tissue and nerves surrounding a tumor, which increases the risk for impotence.

• Aging. It is four times higher in men in their 60s than in men in their 40s.

• Kidney failure

• Lifestyle: alcohol and drugs, obesity, cigarette smoking (Incidence of impotence is approximately 85 percent higher in male smokers compared to non-smokers; Smoking is a key cause of erectile dysfunction. Smoking causes impotence because it promotes arterial narrowing.

Best of luck,

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

David makes some great points. There are a huge number of things that could be the cause of ED and, whilst propecia could very well be one of them, it does seem a little odd that you had 1.5 years with no problems then suddenly develop ED.

Although propecia could be the cause (and a week or two off it, in the scheme of things, won't hurt), I'd rule out the other problems David has mentioned above. Although propecia would be the obvious "go to" the fact you went for a time taking propecia without ED means other factors could be at play. Have you gotten more worried recently? Taking any new medication? Are you eating and exercising properly? Any new issues in a relationship or problems with sex life? Obviously these are not questions I'm asking an answer for, but any of those factors could be a contributor to ED.

If you get off propecia and find your ED disappears then maybe contemplate taking a lower dose or slowly upping your dose to previous levels. Might also be worth seeing a doctor for blood tests and/or a general check up.

Most of all try and remain pragmatic about the situation. Propecia could be the problem and, if it turns out it is, then lowering your dosage or getting off the drug is the only way to go about solving it most likely. There are many other things it could be though, so have a good think about factors that might have changed in your life and go from there.

Best of luck finding a solution!

• 2 weeks later...

`i had similar situation. since i also had some degree of depression ( who doesnt? right?) i wasnt sure, but when i did my sperm test..it was 10000. after i stopped finasteride, it went up 80000 in 3 months. results were spectacular with the med but cant compromise this thing...wife got pregnant right at 3rd month. so u could get a test if u want to be sure.

great advise given on the ED issues, get a health check to eliminate the issues raised by taking the plunge........ it could just as easily be a medical problem as awell as the finesteride???? but if its related to the finesteride it will be hormonal so get your Dr to test you properly....... then address your problems:)

I agree.....TONS of men have ED issues that do not take fin.....get checked....I jsut started taking and I am experienceing a little lower libido.....an dam happy about it....I was killin my wife...:)

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.